Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will that even work?

Say you put a TRUE or something ontop of a waterblock.....

Nevermind the barb placement. would that even be feasible?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Pointless.

The point of water is transporting heat away from the source with low thermal resistence. A heatsink will be less efficent/effective than a radiator.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
technically, you could place some sort of hsf on the copper of the base to last the waterblock a few min if the pump stops working

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sailerboy View Post
technically, you could place some sort of hsf on the copper of the base to last the waterblock a few min if the pump stops working

In that case, it would be cheaper to just get another pump and run two for redundency.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, im saying, you have a normal cpu loop, just with a heatsink on top of the waterblock.

you still have a pump, block, and rad...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I was wondering this myself as well... I suppose it would drop temps a bit closer to ambient, but considering how much heat will be getting to the top of the waterblock (which isnt much) i doubt it would make much difference. Interesting experiment to do though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeYo
View Post

Why not encase your heatsink and turn it into a giant water block?

i imagine that would be pretty awesome, if it could be done lol...

a true encased in clear acrylic with water running through it.... epic.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
At that point, just submerge your PC in mineral oil and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
no, im saying, you have a normal cpu loop, just with a heatsink on top of the waterblock.

you still have a pump, block, and rad...
I know.

It would be pointless. The water is already moving the heat away to a much more efficient radiator.

It would be like putting a flash light on top of a spotlight. Yeah, you're adding to the light... but it won't be noticed.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
If you feel the top of your CPU block in a well set up and adequate loop it will just be a little warmer then room ambient. Like Duckie was saying the heat is being moved to the rad to be dissipated.

I always point a fan at my CPU block, can't hurt even if it doesn't help much. But really designing and building a HSF CPU block wouldn't be worth the cost and effort, I wouldn't think.

You would be better off optimizing your rad/fan set up. Really thats the main tweak left in WC'ing, rad and fans, over rad a little and put as high a CFM fans as yo can stand on it.

But it doesn't hurt to try if you would like to, hey a C is a C, when your topped out on your OC from heat throttle a C cooler temp can be a lot. That can be the difference in getting that last 50-100Mhz CPU-Z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts