Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some upgrades here and found 2 XFX Radeon HD 6970 for sale.

The seller says they are DISCOUNTED versions and when i asked him to check the back of the PCB for the sticker he said the number was :

HD-697A-CN HD-697A-CNFC V1.5

I have not been able to find them anywhere. EK's guide only covers rev 1.0 and 1.1. These do have the BIOS switch that the 1.1 did not have, they also have the power phase and the backplate the the rev 1.1 also was missing.

Does anyone know if these will fit the Normal EK 6970 blocks and NOT the V2 blocks?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The letter A after 697 indicates AMD reference design, it means EK-FC 6970 should fit as it is made for reference design.
XFX has always some tricky labels

·
Registered
198 Posts
umm... I don't think xfx is in the v1.5 boards yet. i just got mine a few months ago and they are v1.2

I'd double check that spec if I were you and contact XFX to make sure that's legit

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirectOverkill
View Post

The letter A after 697 indicates AMD reference design, it means EK-FC 6970 should fit as it is made for reference design.
XFX has always some tricky labels

And for the record, I have XFX HD-697A-CNFC cards; they ARE NOT reference cards and I had to use the V2 waterblocks. I emailed EK and verified that the V2 blocks would work with my v1.2 cards because it wasn't listed on thier site's specification page; EK only listed v1.0 and v1.1 cards for their two blocks.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bane-o
View Post

umm... I don't think xfx is in the v1.5 boards yet. i just got mine a few months ago and they are v1.2

I'd double check that spec if I were you and contact XFX to make sure that's legit

And for the record, I have XFX HD-697A-CNFC cards; they ARE NOT reference cards and I had to use the V2 waterblocks. I emailed EK and verified that the V2 blocks would work with my v1.2 cards because it wasn't listed on thier site's specification page; EK only listed v1.0 and v1.1 cards for their two blocks.

I've googled it and if i got it right the letter A does mean reference PCB, but there are several revisions of the reference PCB, meaning that rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 does not match even though they are both reference PCB.

If you check the comments on

you see another guy talking about the rev 1.5.

I do think it's legit.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy88;15235522
I'm doing some upgrades here and found 2 XFX Radeon HD 6970 for sale.

The seller says they are DISCOUNTED versions and when i asked him to check the back of the PCB for the sticker he said the number was :

HD-697A-CN HD-697A-CNFC V1.5

I have not been able to find them anywhere. EK's guide only covers rev 1.0 and 1.1. These do have the BIOS switch that the 1.1 did not have, they also have the power phase and the backplate the the rev 1.1 also was missing.

Does anyone know if these will fit the Normal EK 6970 blocks and NOT the V2 blocks?
No one has made a V1 6970 for ages, like since March. XFX was second behind MSI in switching to the revised reference design by AMD, which means V2.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
I've had the misfortune to contact XFX for confirmation on whether a PCB is reference or not. To cut a long story short you can't trust what they say. They might say it's a reference board but fail to point out that they moved a couple of vrm's to a different location on the board. The only way to be 100% sure is to physically inspect the block or have someone with that particular version number confirm they have a block on it.

Below is what they said when I found out the graphics card I bought that they'd told me was reference was in fact non-reference:

'Sorry to see this was the outcome, but unfortunately we cannot give any recommendations, advice or guarantee anything when it comes to third party cooling.'

Basically you can't trust them.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elf;15237691
I've had the misfortune to contact XFX for confirmation on whether a PCB is reference or not. To cut a long story short you can't trust what they say. They might say it's a reference board but fail to point out that they moved a couple of vrm's to a different location on the board. The only way to be 100% sure is to physically inspect the block or have someone with that particular version number confirm they have a block on it.

Below is what they said when I found out the graphics card I bought that they'd told me was reference was in fact non-reference:

'Sorry to see this was the outcome, but unfortunately we cannot give any recommendations, advice or guarantee anything when it comes to third party cooling.'

Basically you can't trust them.
That's sad. It's a a shame that the 6970's are hard to come by.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts