Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of thinking of getting a waterchiller for my loop, but I have no idea where to even start.
I was hoping some of you guys here could help me out or give me some idea of where I should start.

I don't really want to spend over $500, so that'll be my budget.

I'll be cooling a 6700k & 980 TI, not sure how many HP of a chiller I need, so if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it a lot! A friend of mine said a 1/4 HP would be OK? But I'm not entirely sure if that's right or not.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

·
Freeze it
177 Posts
I myself am running a HC-300 and it can handle 395 watts total of heat. it cost me $400.00 USD and it is a 1/4 HP I was only cooling a single GTX 980 Kingpin card with it and the gpu killed the chiller. I have never ran or oc a i7 6700 or a gtx 980ti but I know the 980ti can get really hot. in this case I would say go as big as you can. Chillers can get expensive and more so if you live in Canada
biggrin.gif
due to our low loonie drop. The next one up from the one that I have is the HC-500 its cost $500.00 USD and it is rated at 790 watts of total heat its a 1/2 HP this one would be the better choice but again I due realize you would like to stay within a certain budget I have a link that I posted. On Performance PCs

http://www.performance-pcs.com/water-chillers

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3LTA KING View Post

I myself am running a HC-300 and it can handle 395 watts total of heat. it cost me $400.00 USD and it is a 1/4 HP I was only cooling a single GTX 980 Kingpin card with it and the gpu killed the chiller. I have never ran or oc a i7 6700 or a gtx 980ti but I know the 980ti can get really hot. in this case I would say go as big as you can. Chillers can get expensive and more so if you live in Canada
biggrin.gif
due to our low loonie drop. The next one up from the one that I have is the HC-500 its cost $500.00 USD and it is rated at 790 watts of total heat its a 1/2 HP this one would be the better choice but again I due realize you would like to stay within a certain budget I have a link that I posted. On Performance PCs

http://www.performance-pcs.com/water-chillers
I will definitely look into that, thanks!

I tried looking around and that seems to be the cheapest place to get that model. Do you know how cold it will get?

·
Freeze it
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lays View Post

I will definitely look into that, thanks!

I tried looking around and that seems to be the cheapest place to get that model. Do you know how cold it will get?
All of the Hailea HC series chiller models go down to 4C that's where it maxes out pretty much. But keep in mind you still have to be concerned with condensation
smile.gif
depending on your ambient room temps and so on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
1. In refrigeration liquid/water chillers are designed to spec. That means that a chiller is tuned to move an X amount of watts of heat @ an X temperature. In other words the builder needs to know how much heat you are trying to cool, and at what temperature.

2. Anything that is cooled below the dew point of the surrounding air, starts to condense water, so if you plan to use any type of chiller set up, you have to insulate or isolate the computer components, or they will get wet and fry.

3. Running a chilled setup at 0C or above, is worthless because the overclock at these temperature is only slightly better then a standard AIO, all in one cpu water cooler.

4. The only practical option for today's high power hardware is a chill box set up to run at -30C, inside a chill box, with a properly purpose built and tuned chiller.

5. I don't think it's a good idea to try to anything chilled with a budget of $500. It's just not going to happen.

6. The cost to performance ration, on the extremely over clocked systems, is still very poor.

7. If you are brave, have the money, and don't mind loosing a $700 video card, once in a while then go for it.

8. Most people that are involved in any for of extreme cooling, do it as a hobby and because they love it. It's an expensive and steep learning curve, and out side of a chill box setup, no one really runs a chilled system as their daily driver/gaming pc because it's complicated and expensive.

Hope that helps!

Check out the chill box club for inspiration and have fun.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1533164/the-24-7-sub-zero-liquid-chillbox-club/0_100

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ShowMe!] View Post

1. In refrigeration liquid/water chillers are designed to spec. That means that a chiller is tuned to move an X amount of watts of heat @ an X temperature. In other words the builder needs to know how much heat you are trying to cool, and at what temperature.

2. Anything that is cooled below the dew point of the surrounding air, starts to condense water, so if you plan to use any type of chiller set up, you have to insulate or isolate the computer components, or they will get wet and fry.

3. Running a chilled setup at 0C or above, is worthless because the overclock at these temperature is only slightly better then a standard AIO, all in one cpu water cooler.

4. The only practical option for today's high power hardware is a chill box set up to run at -30C, inside a chill box, with a properly purpose built and tuned chiller.

5. I don't think it's a good idea to try to anything chilled with a budget of $500. It's just not going to happen.

6. The cost to performance ration, on the extremely over clocked systems, is still very poor.

7. If you are brave, have the money, and don't mind loosing a $700 video card, once in a while then go for it.

8. Most people that are involved in any for of extreme cooling, do it as a hobby and because they love it. It's an expensive and steep learning curve, and out side of a chill box setup, no one really runs a chilled system as their daily driver/gaming pc because it's complicated and expensive.

Hope that helps!

Check out the chill box club for inspiration and have fun.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1533164/the-24-7-sub-zero-liquid-chillbox-club/0_100
I'm very aware of all the risks and all the methods of insulation, Ive been dry icing components for quite some time now. I'm just looking for a switch up and something fun and entertaining to do. Something new if you will.

Thanks for all the info, I'll go check that place out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts