Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my current aio is dying and im trying to figure out what would be the least hassle / best upgrade going from my 110i gtx that was a temporary solution do i go with the phoenix or with a custom setup loop or wait on swiftechs next aio?

·
Registered
541 Posts
To me its air cool or full custom loop.Aios sound nice on paper but how many you read about the pump died or it leaked ?The phoenix sounds cool but the rad is a 360 but with the added on end pump makes it longer so some cases it won't fit.And adding on to it sounds nice but with the pump it uses i wouldn't go more then cpu or gpu unless you could add on another pump in the loop.And i don't like the look of the black tubing and quick disconnect fittings.If you can swing the price of a custom loop i would go that way.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi there

What OC are you running on yours?
Less hassle would be good air cooler something like is Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15S and few other good coolers which are within 1-3°C

Regarding the CLC,sadly I can't recommend any CLC, have tried on my 5820k and been very disappointed with that cooler on my 5820k, with NH-D15 I could run 4.5Ghz or 4.6Ghz easy and with H100i I couldn't do that or run that, with H100i I could run as max 4.4GHz

I tried my NH-D15 on my 5960x which is running 4.5Ghz at 1.22v and 4.6Ghz at 1.26v amd temperatures are around 3-5°C higher than my custom water loop

If AIO then have look on Swiftech or BeQuiet AIO

Regarding the going with full custom loop, it depends on what case do you have and what budget do you have in mind

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no clc is ever coming on this 5960x again lol air isnt really an option yeah probs gonna go custom loop at this point ugh

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,209 Posts
no clc is ever coming on this 5960x again lol air isnt really an option yeah probs gonna go custom loop at this point ugh
Swiftech is supposedly coming out with the X3 line soon. Could be a good solution if you can wait. Custom loop components all assembled into a drop in package. Other than that, on a 5960X, custom loop would seem to be the option that would suit you best. Even something like an XSPC ION kit would be a nice upgrade from what you currently have, is easy to install and isn't astronomically priced.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used a kraken when I had a 5960x, and it cooled perfectly fine, even with an OC, I think I was running 4.3~4.4 on that chip, with no issues.
I've since moved to accustom loop. I like clc for a lot of reasons, but had zero issues with the kraken.

kraken also was one of the quieter pumps, software let you control the pump rpm , think was closest to silent I've experienced in a aio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts