Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing with the idea of water cooling my E6600. The Water Cooling Essentials thread has some outdated articles.

Some questions:
  • How much might it cost to water cool a socket 775?
  • What noise can I expect? The radiator will have some fan noise...
  • Leakage concerns?
  • Maintenance required? (How often should the fluid be changed, etc?)

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by version2 View Post
I'm playing with the idea of water cooling my E6600. The Water Cooling Essentials thread has some outdated articles.

Some questions:
  • How much might it cost to water cool a socket 775?
  • What noise can I expect? The radiator will have some fan noise...
  • Leakage concerns?
  • Maintenance required? (How often should the fluid be changed, etc?)
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think a mid-range to high end watercooling setup will cost you around 300USD or so.

I will be doing my first water cooling loop within the next week so I will know much more as it comes.

I think generally as long as you get good fittings, decent clamps and the appropriate tubing leakages and that sort of stuff won't be much of an issue.

I think the best idea is adding the UV coolant to detect minor leaks. Generally speaking before you put the WC setup in your case and all that fun stuff you will leak test it for 24 hours before use.

I also beleive that maintenance is usually done every 4-6 months or around there, whereby changing of coolant, cleaning out your loop and maybe even using new clamps is required.

hope this helps.

jam3s

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
-For a low end, high performing system, 200 dollars
-I don't know how fast you run your current fans but going from a stock 88cfm 33/34 db heatsink fan to 2 far quieter yates is a big difference (for me).
-leak test, correctly assemble, maintain = no leaks unless something unexpected happens
-change your water every month or two, check over everything real quick every day (like a quick look over).

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
For a CPU only loop? $250-350 should get you a very decent setup for your E6600. Noise? Depends on the fans you choose, and the appropriate radiator to accompany them.

You should never have any leakage issues if you properly test your components and connections before powering your full system on. Maintenance is very little: you will have to clean out the dust in the radiator periodically (1-2 times a month, depending on environment), and once every 6 or so months (up to 12 months) you should drain your loop and refill with fresh coolant. Replacing tubing at this time isn't a bad idea either, as tubing gets brittle/fragile over time.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
The cost can be varied but I would say $250 minimum Tip->(look for used equipment,save a bundle)

Yes it will not be silent, get variable speed fans or a fan controller to control noise.

Do it right and leakage won't be an issue.

Maintenance will be minimal, I run straight distilled with no problems and change it maybe 2 to 3 times a year.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Here is a performance loop:

If you use just distilled water and pt nuke as your coolant drain and refill every 6 months. Leaks will never occur if you leak test for 12 hours and use quality clamps. You can cut price by getting an mcr220 instead of the GTX 360.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. (Rep+ for all.) It's more expensive than I thought, but then again I have no intention of upgrading cpu/mobo anytime soon.

I'm guessing with watercooling, the video card fan will be the loudest. (GPU cooling is something I don't want to mess with.)

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
I also have a spare D-Tek Fuzion V1 (it was Syrillian's) with a Pro-Mount kit I'll send you for the cost of the shipping. I used it on my E6600 with great results.

And video card cooling is nice, but with your 9600, I don't think it's quite worth it, unless your goal is silence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts