Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to watercooling and i have custom loop i build it myself but im rooke when it comes to pumps.

currently i have Alphacool DC-LT 2600 Ultra low noise Ceramic. and it so weak but silent it cools cpu great but gpu its not that great
water that comes out from gpu block is so warm compared to what comes in i have 1x 280mm x 30mm rad and 1x360x 30mm rad from alphacool
also an alphacool eisbaer pump/res thing that i want to replace just for cpu waterblock. and gpu has alphacool gpx-n 1080 m19

i need pump to be quiet but also want peformance so far what i came up is alphacool laing DDC 310 it has different tops and configs. i already have reservoir so i dont want res pump combo.

please feel free to suggest me good long lasting quiet pumps.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
A D5 isn't going to be the quietest and most durable. Another option would be the Swiftech MCP50X. The MCP50X is about as quiet as the D5 at lower speeds, but is a bit louder above 75% or so. But even it that, it will be quieter than a DDC. Noise has always been the knock on DDC, as well as the fact that they run hot at lower speeds to a point that can be damaging. Running them at higher speeds solves the heat, but also has them sounding what many consider less than pleasant.

·
Watercooled
872 Posts
I prefer the DDC because is small and have better head pressure than a D5. Below 3000RPM the noise isn't a problem if is decoupled from the case. The heat can be solve doing some holes in the casing or getting something like a EK ELITE that come with the heatsink, res and pump. All DDC have similar construction. personally i will get the DDC 3.2 that is one of the most powerful and adjust the speed with a motherboard header. A DDC 3.2 will make the same noise if is set to the same speed than low power version of a DDC and you have more "power" available if you need it

·
WaterCooling Enthusiast
395 Posts
I also recommend the Swiftech MCP50X. I've been using one for 3 years with no issues. It does run cooler than a DDC and quiet below 3000rpm.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The d5 is the most popular pump for very good reasons. It has good power but not so much that it is excessively noisy. It can power the majority of loops comfortably.

It has the best reputation for reliability among all the common types. D5 pumps wear their bearings out eventually but that is normally many years. They don't suffer the electrical failures and heat problems of the more compact DDC's

Other types have tried to take the crown and they often perform well but its just extremely hard to beat the unique hemispherical single bearing design that makes the Laing/Xylem pumps so uniquely good.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is now way i can get Swiftech MCP50X but other option ise some alphacool pumps Alphacool VPP655

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
there is now way i can get Swiftech MCP50X but other option ise some alphacool pumps Alphacool VPP655
Hi,
350 l/h I don't think so look at the watercool... vario instead at least they are 1500 l/h
http://www.performance-pcs.com/watercool-wcp-d5-vario-12v-pump.html#Specifications
Code:
[B]Technical specifications:[/B]

[LIST]
[*]Dimensions (WxHxD): 65 x 65 x 57mm (without connectors)
[*]Motor: Electronically commuted spherical motor
[*]Rated voltage: 12V DC
[*]Power consumption: 23W
[*]Permitted voltage range: 8-24V DC
[*]Pressure head at 12V: 3,7m
[*]Maximum flow: 350l/h
[*]Pumped media: Water, water/glycol mixtures
[*]Maximum system temperature: 60°C
[*]Materials: Stainless steel 1.4571, PPS-GF40, EPDM O-rings, Aluminium oxide, hard coal
[*]Special features: Adjustable in five steps
[*]Step 1: 1800 rpm
[*]Step 2: 2550 rpm
[*]Step 3: 3300 rpm
[*]Step 4: 4050 rpm
[*]Step 5: 4800 rpm
[*]Power connector:  4 Pin Molex
[/LIST]

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi there

I have build for friend few months back where we are used same pump(Alphacool DDC310) where we are cooled 5820k with 4.5Ghz and GTX1080Ti with 2113MHz and 2*XSPC 360mm radiators in EVGA DG-87 and temperatures on CPU has been in OCCT 4.4.2 in 68-72°C on PKG and GPU temperatures has been in 33-36°C

This pump has been quiet but if I would choose this pump again not sure,Swiftech MCP50x is probably best DDC pump on market, I have EK DDC 3.2 PWM Elite edition on my loop there, but will be switching to MCP50x as well on my loop

In yours case I still think yours GPU waterblock is holding you back as this block is way restrictive and don't performs good as proper waterblock from many companies, if block is not available for yours GPU then check Aliexpress Bykski or Barrow makes more blocks than any company on market

D5 pump is good or better in low restriction loops, DDC pumps I would choose in high restriction loops

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
350 l/h I don't think so look at the watercool... vario instead at least they are 1500 l/h
http://www.performance-pcs.com/watercool-wcp-d5-vario-12v-pump.html#Specifications
Code:
[B]Technical specifications:[/B]

[LIST]
[*]Dimensions (WxHxD): 65 x 65 x 57mm (without connectors)
[*]Motor: Electronically commuted spherical motor
[*]Rated voltage: 12V DC
[*]Power consumption: 23W
[*]Permitted voltage range: 8-24V DC
[*]Pressure head at 12V: 3,7m
[*]Maximum flow: 350l/h
[*]Pumped media: Water, water/glycol mixtures
[*]Maximum system temperature: 60°C
[*]Materials: Stainless steel 1.4571, PPS-GF40, EPDM O-rings, Aluminium oxide, hard coal
[*]Special features: Adjustable in five steps
[*]Step 1: 1800 rpm
[*]Step 2: 2550 rpm
[*]Step 3: 3300 rpm
[*]Step 4: 4050 rpm
[*]Step 5: 4800 rpm
[*]Power connector:  4 Pin Molex
[/LIST]
yea great but is it silent ?

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
Yes and still adjustable as the other you posted :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's a D5. As stated by everyone participating here, it is the quietest pump you can buy.
so Alphacool VPP655 is best one ? also just found that i can get VPP755

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,150 Posts
Been running a Swiftech MCP-655 Vario for almost 9 years now with 0 issues - It's a strong pump, not that loud and with what I've been doing with it has shown me Swiftech makes quality pumps.
Even after 9 years of use it still has plenty of head pressure and works great. I'm not aware if this particular model still made or not but I'm certainly pleased with mine - In fact I have a spare for the day it does go out, I can reload and go again for probrably another decade when that happens.

Currently using it in a system that's actually a water tower cooler with a 4 gallon res made in and it does the job without complaint.

The MCP-50X should be just as reliable I'd think and if it's variable like mine then you can tweak pump speeds to what you'd want for flow and noise.
It may cost a lttle more up front but cheaping out on something as important as the pump could cost you way more.... And you'd still have to replace the pump along with everything else.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
Been running a Swiftech MCP-655 Vario for almost 9 years now with 0 issues - It's a strong pump, not that loud and with what I've been doing with it has shown me Swiftech makes quality pumps.
Even after 9 years of use it still has plenty of head pressure and works great. I'm not aware if this particular model still made or not but I'm certainly pleased with mine - In fact I have a spare for the day it does go out, I can reload and go again for probrably another decade when that happens.

Currently using it in a system that's actually a water tower cooler with a 4 gallon res made in and it does the job without complaint.

The MCP-50X should be just as reliable I'd think and if it's variable like mine then you can tweak pump speeds to what you'd want for flow and noise.
It may cost a lttle more up front but cheaping out on something as important as the pump could cost you way more.... And you'd still have to replace the pump along with everything else.
The MCP655 is actually a Swiftech branded D5. Same pump as the Alphacool VCP655, just with a different logo. The D5 vario doesn't change from brand to brand, but the PWM models will have different circuits.

The MCP50X is actually designed and made by Swiftech, as is the MCP30. Both have PWM speed control.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,150 Posts
The MCP655 is actually a Swiftech branded D5. Same pump as the Alphacool VCP655, just with a different logo. The D5 vario doesn't change from brand to brand, but the PWM models will have different circuits.

The MCP50X is actually designed and made by Swiftech, as is the MCP30. Both have PWM speed control.
I'm not suprised yet I will certainly vouch for the pump, if the VCP-655 is the same thing then I'd have to say you coudn't go wrong with either by name.

BTW I did see on the egg there are still MCP-655's available, which is good but these newer ones now can be ran from the motherboard header instead of a molex plug like mine are setup for.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
I'm not suprised yet I will certainly vouch for the pump, if the VCP-655 is the same thing then I'd have to say you coudn't go wrong with either by name.

BTW I did see on the egg there are still MCP-655's available, which is good but these newer ones now can be ran from the motherboard header instead of a molex plug like mine are setup for.
Performance PCs has all of the MCP655 variations in stock, it is still in production.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts

Swiftech still voids warranty for using custom tops right? Are their ddcs backwards compatible with laing ddc pump tops?

This is really interesting because after decades of using a D5 I'm thinking of moving to a DDC for the space saving aspect. From a brief googling it seems there are only 10w and 18w models.

Do you happen to know any "good" models that can be speed controlled with an aquaero?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i will go with VPP655 then thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Swiftech still voids warranty for using custom tops right? Are their ddcs backwards compatible with laing ddc pump tops?

This is really interesting because after decades of using a D5 I'm thinking of moving to a DDC for the space saving aspect. From a brief googling it seems there are only 10w and 18w models.

Do you happen to know any "good" models that can be speed controlled with an aquaero?
Yes, there is a void if removed sticker across the stock top and the pump but with the new changes here in the US about "warranty void if removed stickers" not being valid anymore, more than likely Swiftech has changed their stance on that.

Swiftech's MCP350, MCP355, MCP50 & MCP35X series pumps are Laing DDC style pumps with Swiftech's own custom top on them (except for the original MCP350 which has the original Laing DDC style top on it with Switch's logo molded in it) and yes, you can use any top designed for the DDC style pump (you might need to use different screws as some manufacture use SAE standard and others use Metric threads in their tops).

You cannot go wrong with any D5 or DDC type pump. They were originally designed for industrial applications and as such are pretty bullet proof and should last many years of operation. I have not used the Aquaero controller personally but from what I have read and seen about them they should be able to control any PWM style pump as long as the pump does not exceed the Aquaero's wattage\amperage rating for the pump or fan header on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts