Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi i built my first loop and had lot of air inside radiators now it should be fine. i have question about temperatures with my rad setup 280mm and 360mm alphacool st30. are those temperatures ok for just 1080ti running folding @ home 60-61 under load and drops 29-28 fast if i end folding and about 20% max cpu load @4.8ghz 1.216v and radiator fans are 3x 120mm silent wings 3, 2x 140mm Alphacool Eiswind.

Alphacool Eiswind runs @612rpm
Be quiet silent wings 3 @740rpm
CPU block is alphacool eisbaer solo and GPU is alphacool gpx-n 1080 m19

Power draw form wall is 280-300w 80+ Gold seasonic g650

Attachments

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
Probably not bad at all seeing your fan settings are so low :)
You didn't post anything really on the cpu besides max temps which aren't bad at all at 4.8
But what cpu is it the description is crunched.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Probably not bad at all seeing your fan settings are so low :)
You didn't post anything really on the cpu besides max temps which aren't bad at all at 4.8
But what cpu is it the description is crunched.
i havent stressed cpu much but getting 60-65max depends on load and water temperature when gpu is on heavy load for long time cpu temps reach 70 oh and cpu is 8700k and gpu 1080Ti @ stock

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
GPU at stock clocks getting 61c isn't really good not terrible but I would expect much lower like in mid 40c range 50c tops
I don't go over 60c on the stock ftw3 air cooler but of course all 3 fans are on full tilt too.
My nvidia titan Xp doesn't go over 50c ever on full load I'm guessing you have an nvidia 1080ti not a different venders ?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
GPU at stock clocks getting 61c isn't really good not terrible but I would expect much lower like in mid 40c range 50c tops
I don't go over 60c on the stock ftw3 air cooler but of course all 3 fans are on full tilt too.
My nvidia titan Xp doesn't go over 50c ever on full load I'm guessing you have an nvidia 1080ti not a different venders ?
Gigapyte oc edition 1911mhz was running 1. Something volts

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Are GPU load temps of 60ºC bad? No ... it will last forever at that temp.

But GPU temps on liquid cooling should be lower than that. My TitanXp at 2,075MHz core 12,500MHz memory gets no hotter than 35ºC during gaming, stress testing, or folding (Watercool Heatkiller IV block & backplate). It'll likely get a few degrees warmer when summer comes.

Yours shouldn't be as low as mine as I have a lot more radiator than you and my fans run faster, but it should be lower than 60ºC unless your ambient temp is really high.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi there

I would agree with above these temperatures are bit high

What pump are you running?

This GPU waterblock is pretty restrictive and mainly it doesn't perform good as normal full coverage block

Do you have water temperature sensor? And what ambient temperature is during the folding?

Are you tried running fans faster as this speed is bit on low side

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
New to Overclock.net
2,492 Posts
Only real way to tell is to compare against a known reference. For just 300 watts it seems high (i see 44C running Furmark with twin 275 watt cards (680 - 720 @ wall) and 58C on 4.7 GHz CPU with 420 + 280 Alphacools and low speed fans.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,541 Posts
Those GPU temps are way too high for even a non-full coverage block. I would double check the seating of the GPU block and see if thermal paste is not fully contacting or the block needs to be tightened around the GPU core.

For comparison, I get load temps of 35-37C on my 1080Ti with EK block and only use 2x 240mm rads with my Gentle Typhoons running at 850RPM. CPU is a 3570K running 4.7GHz at 1.264V.

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
Those temps on the GPU seem high for watercooled GPU doing [email protected] Though, you are running fans at lower speeds.
I think at max when I fold on the higher end GPUs is around 50-55C (and that is pushing an OC while folding or crunching PrimeGrid units).

This is with just the GPU folding or with CPU and GPU both folding?

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,793 Posts
Did you test air compared to watercooling temps on idle/load stock and OC'd?

That would have given you a baseline.

Personally, I have two cards and CPU under water and my GPU temps never see mid 50C. VRMs also stay cool and never go in the 50C range.

Just checked and GPUs are at 28C and 30C and VRMs are at between 20-23C on Idle.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you test air compared to watercooling temps on idle/load stock and OC'd?

That would have given you a baseline.

Personally, I have two cards and CPU under water and my GPU temps never see mid 50C. VRMs also stay cool and never go in the 50C range.

Just checked and GPUs are at 28C and 30C and VRMs are at between 20-23C on Idle.
i think its the pump i run it on 7v 2400rpm but when i ramp it to max i get about 5-7c drop on gpu fan stays same but on idle there is no problem gpu is only 2-4c higher deltaT will 2nd pump help me @7v ? or i should change to better pump?

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,793 Posts
If the pump is tolerable at full tilt, noise wise, then no need to switch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Was wondering if there was a definitive answer to this dilemma. I have similar results and I'm not sure what to think because different games produce drastically different numbers regarding my temps. I'm running a custom loop, both CPU and GPU in the same loop.
I have a 4930K running an overclock at 4.5Ghz and the temps sit at 27c at idle and 44c on non-synthetic loads, vcore at 1.26 volts.
My GPU on the other hand is a Titan X Pascal with a +200 on the Core clock and +400 on the memory, full cover waterblock, and it idles at 27c as well, but under load the numbers change drastically between various titles, for example: DOOM 4k/60fps ranges from 43-55c, FFXV 2k/60fps 55-62c, Dark Souls III 4k/60fps 43-55c, Call of Duty Infinite 4k/60fps 34-45c, Far Cry Primal 4k/60fps 55-60c, Witcher 3 4k/60fps 55-60fps. All games are played at max settings and as soon as I exit any games the temps immediately fall to about 34c and after a few minutes rest at the idle temp of 27c.

I have res/pump>360mm rad>GPU>240mm rad>CPU>120mm rad>res/pump. My ambient temps are around 25c.
The 240mm rad intakes air on the front of the case, and the 120mm pulls it out the back, while the 360mm pulls up through the top of the case. All are equipped with Vardar fans and the fans are controlled through Asus AI Suite 3 and are quiet. I have a D5 pump set to around 70% duty cycle.
I have tried to reseat the waterblock on my GPU several times and am now using Thermal Grizzly as my TIM and K5-pro as thermal padding for everything else. I did this to better ensure proper contact between the GPU die and waterblock. I have been thinking that the card is just hot when running things in 4k but I'm just wondering if this is "normal" or good or okay or just outright terrible.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the pump is tolerable at full tilt, noise wise, then no need to switch.
i have it on 7v so pc is silent as possible. when on 12v i can hear pump and that noise is bad.

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
The best way to check if the temps are good is to have a water temperature sensor along with a air temp sensor in the PC or close to the rads.

I have one sensor plug in the middle of my loop and a air sensor in my case. That way I’m able to calculate the delta T correctly.

For example: my air sensor shows 28’C and the water sensor shows 32-33’C. This gives a delta T of around 5’C. The temps of both of my GTX 1080tis are around 40’C and 45’C when mining at 105% TDP, +30mv, +115mhz core and +350mhz memory.

I have another 5 x GTX 1080ti with around same OC on air with 65-70% fans and the temps are around 60’C - 63’C ish.

I would consider temperature of 65’C unacceptable under water unless you are shooting for extreme silence.

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
i have it on 7v so pc is silent as possible. when on 12v i can hear pump and that noise is bad.
Hi,
You haven't said unless I missed it which pump/ s you have
I can't hear either of my ek D5 pmw pumps or even my watercool vario D5 pmw at full blast hwinfo shows them usually at 4700 rpms :/

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Was wondering if there was a definitive answer to this dilemma. I have similar results and I'm not sure what to think because different games produce drastically different numbers regarding my temps. I'm running a custom loop, both CPU and GPU in the same loop.
I have a 4930K running an overclock at 4.5Ghz and the temps sit at 27c at idle and 44c on non-synthetic loads, vcore at 1.26 volts.
My GPU on the other hand is a Titan X Pascal with a +200 on the Core clock and +400 on the memory, full cover waterblock, and it idles at 27c as well, but under load the numbers change drastically between various titles, for example: DOOM 4k/60fps ranges from 43-55c, FFXV 2k/60fps 55-62c, Dark Souls III 4k/60fps 43-55c, Call of Duty Infinite 4k/60fps 34-45c, Far Cry Primal 4k/60fps 55-60c, Witcher 3 4k/60fps 55-60fps. All games are played at max settings and as soon as I exit any games the temps immediately fall to about 34c and after a few minutes rest at the idle temp of 27c.

I have res/pump>360mm rad>GPU>240mm rad>CPU>120mm rad>res/pump. My ambient temps are around 25c.
The 240mm rad intakes air on the front of the case, and the 120mm pulls it out the back, while the 360mm pulls up through the top of the case. All are equipped with Vardar fans and the fans are controlled through Asus AI Suite 3 and are quiet. I have a D5 pump set to around 70% duty cycle.
I have tried to reseat the waterblock on my GPU several times and am now using Thermal Grizzly as my TIM and K5-pro as thermal padding for everything else. I did this to better ensure proper contact between the GPU die and waterblock. I have been thinking that the card is just hot when running things in 4k but I'm just wondering if this is "normal" or good or okay or just outright terrible.

Hi there

These temperatures are just high for my liking as have 50-62°C on water cooling is just wrong,you are have enough radiator space to have lower temperatures

What radiators do you have? And what fans are you using?

Did you tried to run fans and pump faster if this does lower temperatures?

What case do you have?

My old loop where I run 5960x with 4.5Ghz and 3 GPUs(GTX1080Ti with 2152Mhz, GTX1080 with 2164MHz and third GTX1080 with 2100MHz OC) and 360mm 60mm thick radiator on top and on bottom 240mm 60mm thick radiator and that's with EK DDC 3.2 PWM Elite edition my temperatures in gaming has been in 36-38°C as max on my Ti,in rendering temperatures has been very similar to gaming and in mining 42-45°C on all three GPUs that's with cards running at 1911-1955MHz and 1.0v and 120% etc

My loop order has been lile this: Reservoir->EK DDC 3.2 PWM Elite edition->240mm radiator->GPUs in series->360mm radiator->CPU->reservoir inlet

Ambient has been very similar to yours

Tried run 120mm radiator on my previous loop but this didn't changed my temperatures only dropped my flow I think

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I am using the Ek Fluid Gaming line up of products. Everything is from that line up and is made of aluminum. Yes, I know there are better options but it is my first custom loop and for the most part I'm happy with it, but to be honest I really wish I can get the GPU temps down more.

With that being said I have a Corsair Obsidian 750D case. The 240mm rad is mounted on the front, the 120 in the back and 360 on top. All are equipped with EK Vardar fans. I'm using 10/13 ek flex tubing I know I have plenty of rad space so I'm leaning towards believing that the GPU block isn't making full contact on the GPU die. However the temperature drops just as fast as it rises when exiting any graphics intensive program. Just last night Resident Evil 7 played nice at 40c, max graphics, 4k/60. I thought about using an aluminum shim with Thermal paste on both sides but then it just seems counterintuitive to add an extra element to transfer the heat. I'm thinking about removing the backplate and squeezing the block and card to see if there is any play to it. I don't think there is but just for closure.
Overall the whole setup is stable and performance is great, but I feel that I can get even more out of the GPU if I got the heat down. On the factory blower style fan the card would peak at 84c and throttle so a 22-34c difference sounds nice but I agree something is just not quite right. If I could get it down into the low to mid 40s I would be ecstatic and I would settle if the titles that play into the 62c range would fall back to the high 40s or low 50s. I'm just looking for ideas and anything else to look for.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, I've tried adjusting the pump speed and although it helps by a few degrees it doesn't make a substantial difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts