Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 7380 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waterfox_256.png

Logos by Miloš Mirković

56.0.2 has been released on the 7th of January 2018.

56.0.1 has been released on the 13th of December 2017.

56 initial release on the 30th of November 2017.

IMPORTANT! Waterfox now uses its own profile location!

Waterfox now uses its own profile directory. If you have updated from an automatic update, you will get a prompt to import your data to this new location after restarting the browser post update.

As much of your data will try to be kept as possible.

  • Location on macOS:
    Code:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Waterfox
  • Location on Linux:
    Code:
    ~/.waterfox/
  • Location on Windows:
    Code:
    %APPDATA%\Waterfox

If you use a different than default location for Firefox, you should be able to just update the profile.ini in the new Waterfox profile location to carry on using that location.

What's new in Waterfox 56.0.2?

  • e10s will now be disabled when using add-ons that aren't marked explicitly as compatible with e10s.
    • If you'd like to force enable e10s, you can by setting browser.tabs.remote.force-enable to true in about:config. Warning: This may cause the add-on or the browser to behave unexpectedly.
  • Updated libcubeb library to prevent audio issues on new Windows 10 builds, Bug 1426719
  • Mozilla Foundation Security Advisory Patches:
    • 2018-01
    • 2017-29
  • Fix default browser check (Thanks to jdunn0).
  • Fix plugin issues due to checking .mozilla instead of .waterfox (Thanks to PhantomX).
  • Fix of various white space issues thanks to jbeich.

What's new in Waterfox 56.0.1?

  • Disabled e10s on older OS X builds to prevent tab crashing.
  • Updated Windows installer to show the MPL 2.0 and fixed executable description and icon.
  • Security patches from newer 57 releases
    • Bug 1402372
    • Bug 1410106
  • Added back
    Code:
    support for Java plugin users.
  • Added Privacy Policy and Legal to website to be more professional :)

What's new in Waterfox 56.0?

Waterfox will now remain at 56 for the time being, following the security releases of 59 ESR until it becomes End of Line (Q1 2019). In the meanwhile, a "new" browser will be developed to follow the ethos of Waterfox of customisation and choice, while staying up to do date with the rapidly evolving browser landscape.

  • Based on Firefox 56.0.2 release
  • Security patches from 57 release
    • Bug 1261175
    • Bug 1325923
    • Bug 1339259
    • Bug 1365894
    • Bug 1366420
    • Bug 1369561
    • Bug 1370497
    • Bug 1375146
    • Bug 1383019
    • Bug 1384121
    • Bug 1387799
    • Bug 1387845
    • Bug 1394031
    • Bug 1394265
    • Bug 1394530
    • Bug 1395138
    • Bug 1397811
    • Bug 1399540
    • Bug 1399922
    • Bug 1400003
    • Bug 1400554
    • Bug 1401339
    • Bug 1401804
    • Bug 1402363
    • Bug 1402876
    • Bug 1402896
    • Bug 1403646
    • Bug 1404636
    • Bug 1406154
    • Bug 1406398
    • Bug 1406750
    • Bug 1407032
    • Bug 1407375
    • Bug 1407740
    • Bug 1407751
    • Bug 1408005
    • Bug 1408412
    • Bug 1408782
    • Bug 1408990
    • Bug 1411458
    • Bug 1412252
  • Fixed GUI rendering issues on macOS High Sierra
  • Fixed search suggestions not appearing
  • Enabled e10s by default, some add-ons that aren't marked as compatible may cause unexpected behaviour.


  • Cookie Prompt has been re-implemented thanks to Savarese.Org

    Firefox used to allow you to be notified every time a Web site attempted to set a cookie. You could decide to accept or reject the cookie as well as specify the cookie lifetime and whether to use your choice for all cookies from the Web site, thereby updating your cookie preferences.


  • Fix *BSD compilation; white space issues (Pull request #284 and #289)
Help! Some of my add-ons don't work.

Don't worry. Compatibility with older add-ons is being brought back in the next few releases. A few listed add-ons that won't currently work:

  • LiveClick
  • Color That Site
  • Add Bookmark Here ²
  • Pure URL
  • Mozilla Archive Format

What's coming in the next few weeks?

  • The staging website is available to test at staging.waterfoxproject.org, but still contains various Mozilla-isms.
  • A better Android release as it's currently in poor form.

What features does Waterfox currently have?

  • Compiled with Clang+LLVM on Linux
  • Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) by default
  • Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
  • Removed Pocket
  • Removed Telemetry
  • Removed data collection
  • Removed startup profiling
  • Allow running of all 64-Bit NPAPI plugins
  • Allow running of unsigned extensions and full add-ons
  • Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
  • Addition of Duplicate Tab option (toggle with browser.tabs.duplicateTab, thanks to PandaCodex)
  • Locale selector in about:preferences > General (further improved by PandaCodex)
  • Cookie Prompt see image
News
Frequently Asked Questions
Downloads

A shout out to

  1. msuguy71
  2. Quantum Reality
  3. Andre Chappel
  4. Nick2253
  5. Jack Pieron
  6. Dean Surkin
  7. MaimiWeiss
  8. Richard Haire
  9. DE MARCO, LLC
  10. Garrett Anderson
  11. Mark Greenway
  12. Brenda Fernández
  13. Matthew Trump
  14. Kevin Blas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,167 Posts
WOW a 64bit? I still don't know if i should try it. Cuz it's a modified browser. Kinda sketchy but i await results from others til i try, i applaud you for adding 64bit!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected];12886944
WOW a 64bit? I still don't know if i should try it. Cuz it's a modified browser. Kinda sketchy but i await results from others til i try, i applaud you for adding 64bit!
Thanks. I hardly did much, just recompiled the program
tongue.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
Wonder if it's also SSE2 optimized - if so I'll give it a go
smile.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12887200
Wonder if it's also SSE2 optimized - if so I'll give it a go
smile.gif
In the next build I'll be enabling the following optimisations:
  • MMX
  • SSE2
  • SSE3
There is also the option to add SSE4.1 but lots of users still use AMD processors and old Core 2 Duo CPUs, such as me
biggrin.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
Wow, that is awesome
biggrin.gif
I think I'll be switching to waterfox pending 64-bit plugin support for 1 or 2 things such as Silverlight that I will probably find easily!
What's awesome is firefox 4 is already fast enough but I can imagine this would be a lot faster
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12891020
Wow, that is awesome
biggrin.gif
I think I'll be switching to waterfox pending 64-bit plugin support for 1 or 2 things such as Silverlight that I will probably find easily!
What's awesome is firefox 4 is already fast enough but I can imagine this would be a lot faster
Voila. The new build is now available, and it's been done properly this time
biggrin.gif
everything is named correctly too
thumb.gif


Also, Silverlight 5 will bring 64-Bit support. Current release date is 1H 2011
tongue.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
Awesome!
wheee.gif
will be downloading and importing my firefox profile soon!
And meh, I don't visit many sites (if at all) that use Silverlight yet anyway

EDIT: I get an MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer error on startup. Trying to fix this error myself now by d/l-ing the DLL and placing it in the program folder...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12892285
Awesome!
wheee.gif
will be downloading and importing my firefox profile soon!
And meh, I don't visit many sites (if at all) that use Silverlight yet anyway

EDIT: I get an MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer error on startup. Trying to fix this error myself now by d/l-ing the DLL and placing it in the program folder...
Sorry my mistake. Updated the thread with the missing file required.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
Nearly forgot to launch the install - this is certainly much much faster! Even adapted to my Firefox profile upon first startup which is great, so I can revert to regular firefox in case of issues. I'm definitely liking it so far
wheee.gif


I'm going to put a link to Waterfox in my "Optimizing Firefox" article (see sig)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
does not install on xp x64
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
I wonder if the plugin container was purposely disabled in this build... I don't see that exe running.
Also, quite the RAM heavy.... 280MB on 2 tabs
tongue.gif
I don't really mind though with 8GB. Might be that plugin container lack though. EDIT: Must've been something else, now it's down to 179MB.

I also realize... you got the blue firefox icon from Speedyfox, didn't you? I rather like it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
I think he recompiled it himself from the source codes.
Peacekeeper actually doesn't give me that much better results (probably I'm highly optimized enough?) but I do get somewhat noticeably faster startup times on Waterfox vs. Firefox - and the web browsing to me (not Peacekeeper) seems a tad bit faster. Perhaps it's due to GPU acceleration being enabled that the results aren't much better if at all (since I think that's an entirely different API).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12899265
Nearly forgot to launch the install - this is certainly much much faster! Even adapted to my Firefox profile upon first startup which is great, so I can revert to regular firefox in case of issues. I'm definitely liking it so far
wheee.gif


I'm going to put a link to Waterfox in my "Optimizing Firefox" article (see sig)
Thanks
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kRon1k~;12899288
does not install on xp x64
It was compiled with VC2010 and requires some features that XP doesn't support. This build isn't for legacy hardware/software
tongue.gif
sorry about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12899450
I wonder if the plugin container was purposely disabled in this build... I don't see that exe running.
Also, quite the RAM heavy.... 280MB on 2 tabs
tongue.gif
I don't really mind though with 8GB. Might be that plugin container lack though. EDIT: Must've been something else, now it's down to 179MB.

I also realize... you got the blue firefox icon from Speedyfox, didn't you? I rather like it
Strange...plugin container is running as a separate exe for me and Firefox takes up a specific % of your RAM. Can't remember what it was
biggrin.gif
. But I've noticed that the extra RAM usage helps. I got it from Deviantart actually
tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12899493
I think he recompiled it himself from the source codes.
Peacekeeper actually doesn't give me that much better results (probably I'm highly optimized enough?) but I do get somewhat noticeably faster startup times on Waterfox vs. Firefox - and the web browsing to me (not Peacekeeper) seems a tad bit faster. Perhaps it's due to GPU acceleration being enabled that the results aren't much better if at all (since I think that's an entirely different API).
If you're running the same/similar builds on Peacekeeper, the hardware is what then affects the score. It's JavaScript execution times etc that should be reduced (albeit not much since you have a beastly rig).
Quote:
Originally Posted by returned4good;12899512
Epic post. Thanks man! +rep

I wish I could find a 64 bit Chromium project :/
Heh thanks
biggrin.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
When I started it up today plugin manager opened with it this time
Still uses more RAM but that is something I can live with, I rock 8GB
smile.gif
I know that Firefox is RAM-adaptive like Windows 7, it just seems that Waterfox uses somewhat more RAM than Firefox did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by returned4good;12899512
Epic post. Thanks man! +rep

I wish I could find a 64 bit Chromium project :/
no need each tab and extension is its own process, so unless youve managed to find a 4 gig webpage....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Banned
Joined
·
568 Posts
Weird occure, the waterfox don't react to mouse or keyboard function. Closing followed by opening again. Writting on website instead of English it is Russian language keyboard... followed by another freezing effect. Waterfox popping in plugin-in not working...
 
1 - 20 of 7380 Posts
Top