Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i just put together my new comp and i partitioned it weird .....i have drive C as windows os(8 gb) and i have a drive D(2gb)which i dont use and i have a drive E(60gb) which i wanna put all my data on but it all defalts to drive c...so my question is:how do i delete drive d and give its space to drive e ; and how do i make all my stuff go to drive e

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Get Partition Magic 8.0.
It allows you to create, resize and merge partitions on your hard drive without destroying/losing data.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I tried this very thing a couple of weeks ago when I got my external 200gig drive. After surfing the net for freeware, I`ve come to the conclusion that unless you really know what you`re doing, bite the magnum and buy Partition Magic. Don`t take a chance with you irreplacable files. Of course, if someone could come up with a FOOLPROOF method of partitioning without spending the $70 for Partition Magic, I would be very open to suggestions.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have two partitions on my hardrive a drive c and a drive d; but somehow it installs everything on drive c and i JUST want windows on drive c and everythign else on drive d!!! i need help (haha)...all the partition programs that i use dont work so ive decided that i will install everything on drive c but my c partition is only 10gb and d partition is 60gb so will the extra data i install just move to partition d or what happens here?

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
When you install a program you can change the instalation directory, you know. That way you can set it to install to the D drive.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management.
Make sure all the partitions you see there are marked as "Healthy".
If the partition you are trying to use but cannot access is not marked as "Healthy" then right click on it and select "Format".
Be careful because when you format this partition you will LOSE ALL DATA residing on it !!
So just make sure all your files are on the partition where windows is installed and the other partition is just empty.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
All right let's break down your problem so we can address it in a better and more efficient way.
First let me make sure I understand your problem. So I'll tell you what I understood and you correct me if I'm wrong.

Here it goes...
Currently you have one hard drive with two partitions:
1) a 10 GB partition where Windows is installed.
2) a 60 GB partition where you want to install everything else (even Program Files and My Documents and Settings).

I'll tell you how to change the default location for the "Program Files" and "Common Files" folders as well as a particular "Documents and Settings" folder related to a certain user that Windows points to by default when installing new programs.

All right, first you need to backup your registry so be sure to read this document from Microsoft
A word of caution... These tweaks might result in some problems with existing installed programs and file associations. You might have to manually move some of the existing program folders to the new location for them to work correctly.

Changing the location of "Program Files"
1. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ CurrentVersion
2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\\Program Files
3. Change this to whatever directory you wish. Example D:\\Program Files

Changing the location of "Common Files"
1. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ CurrentVersion
2. Find CommonFilesDir whose default should be C:\\Program Files\\Common Files
3. Change this to whatever directory you wish. Example D:\\Program Files\\Common Files

Changing the location of "Documents and Settings"
Detailed information on how to do it can be found here on Microsoft's website.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
I don't help Satan Inside, ask him to help you sticking the hard drive up his as.s with his partition.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99

i have one more question, if i install all my stuff on c program files and i run out of room , will it go to my d partition as extra space or what will it do

Windows will not attempt to install your application on another drive by default if the one you are installing on runs out of space.

When you install a program it usually points to the default location of Program Files (configured in your registry as explained in my previous post).

So suppose your default "Program Files" location is on drive C: and you are installing a game, it will point to "C:\\Program Files".
If drive C: doesn't have enough space to allow the installation of the game you will most likely get an error message saying "There isn't enough disk space for the installation to continue".

All you have to do is manually change the installation directory to "D:\\Program Files" (assuming your second partition is D: and you have enough disk space on it) and the game will be installed normally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts