Overclock.net banner
2161 - 2180 of 2229 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
There must have been something else going on for you get 10c difference in cooling changing from Macho Rev A and NH-D15. Typically there is only 2-3c difference, sometimes not even that. Maybe Macho had a bad seat?
Nah ,it was mounted perfectly . And thermal paste was the same (i use mx4 all time)
Thats normal improvement . D15 is double the price . And much bigger (Macho : 870g / D15 : 1320g ) . Macho was hot to touch ,and D15 was only warm . Not scientific but thats how i experienced.
There is only one advantage on Macho : TY147A is better then NF A15 at least to my ears .

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,162 ·
does sealing front fan intakes improve airflow?
I'm sure you mean seal all openings not covered by intake fans. Obviously we don't want the fan opening sealed because that would stop all airflow from fan .. and we don't want that to happen. ;)

Sealing / taping off all opening except intake fans closes gives us complete separation between intake and exhaust sides of fans.
Doing this stops air fans push into case from leaking around in front of fans to end up going in circles instead of through case.
This means all the air fans are pushing into case to move on though case and out which pushes heated air coming off of GPU and CPU on back and out.
This means air coming from intake fans has less heated air mixing in so it remains closer to room temp.
Lower temp air entering coolers means CPU & GPU run cooler,
Means fans run at lower speed,
So we end up with a cooler and quieter system.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,163 ·
Nah ,it was mounted perfectly . And thermal paste was the same (i use mx4 all time)
Thats normal improvement . D15 is double the price . And much bigger (Macho : 870g / D15 : 1320g ) . Macho was hot to touch ,and D15 was only warm . Not scientific but thats how i experienced.
There is only one advantage on Macho : TY147A is better then NF A15 at least to my ears .
Sorry, but there simply is not 10c difference between NH-15 and Macho Rev A BW in normal use systems. How much are you OC'ing yours? Because to get that much difference CPU would have to be extremely high overclock and using extreme amount of power .. like 350+ watts.

I assume it's was same setup as your pics? They look like you have good case airflow, so both Macho and D15 would be getting similar temp air.

Only other possibility I can think of is your Macho base wasn't mating like it should to IHS. That would case CPU to run hotter than it should and give us the 10c difference you got. Can't think of any other reason for such an extreme difference.

Cooler price does not mean it's a better cooler. One of the very best out there is TRUE Spirit 140 Power which sells for about $50 .. and it's easily as good as D15 and other top tier cooler costing much more money.

Obviously I'm not saying you didn't experience this 10c difference. Just saying it wasn't just the difference in these 2 coolers cooling ability,

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry, but there simply is not 10c difference between NH-15 and Macho Rev A BW in normal use systems. How much are you OC'ing yours? Because to get that much difference CPU would have to be extremely high overclock and using extreme amount of power .. like 350+ watts.

I assume it's was same setup as your pics? They look like you have good case airflow, so both Macho and D15 would be getting similar temp air.

Only other possibility I can think of is your Macho base wasn't mating like it should to IHS. That would case CPU to run hotter than it should and give us the 10c difference you got. Can't think of any other reason for such an extreme difference.

Cooler price does not mean it's a better cooler. One of the very best out there is TRUE Spirit 140 Power which sells for about $50 .. and it's easily as good as D15 and other top tier cooler costing much more money.

Obviously I'm not saying you didn't experience this 10c difference. Just saying it wasn't just the difference in these 2 coolers cooling ability,
Yep that was my system on the photos. I ran 4,5ghz @1,26V OC. I just can guess power consumption , since there was no good software back in those days ,wich could read it out properly.
The stock is 3,3ghz - 140W TDP . I assume on 4,5 it could draw 180-200W .
I found only this Aida stresstest screenshot :
Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,165 ·
Yep that was my system on the photos. I ran 4,5ghz @1,26V OC. I just can guess power consumption , since there was no good software back in those days ,wich could read it out properly.
The stock is 3,3ghz - 140W TDP . I assume on 4,5 it could draw 180-200W .
I found only this Aida stresstest screenshot :
View attachment 2524412
Good temps for than OC.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm running same cooler in my Enthoo mATX on 3600 and like it. I don't know how much NH-D15 would be, probably not a big difference.
Sounds like your case is setup for good airflow. What kind of temps are you running now?
At about 26C with 40% humidity i have CPU idling about 36-37C. Cpu as i already wrote is 3700x, no OC just what the motherboard does by itself (Asus Rog CH8).
With blender 2.91.2 i have 63C max, thermalright cooler at 1112 rpm max.
The CPU CCD1 Tdie is 76,3C max and idling at 35C.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi all,
I tried to find relevant information with the search function without success, so here is my question:
I'm waiting for a 240 aio to install as a top exhaust in my meshify C. I have two 140 fans as front intakes and an 120 one as a rear exhaust.
I'm wondering if I could I revert the rear fan to make it an intake. This way, the pressure would most probably remain positive and the left part of the radiator would be directly supplied with fresh air.
Probably the gpu backplate would also be cooled better.
I guess the drawback is that the front and rear intake streams are opposite so there may be some turbulance in the middle, right? Anyway, here is a flow diagram of the case:
Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device Machine

The case's bottom part is packed with hdds and non-detachable psu cables so it's very hard to modify anything there.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi all,
I tried to find relevant information with the search function without success, so here is my question:
I'm waiting for a 240 aio to install as a top exhaust in my meshify C. I have two 140 fans as front intakes and an 120 one as a rear exhaust.
I'm wondering if I could I revert the rear fan to make it an intake. This way, the pressure would most probably remain positive and the left part of the radiator would be directly supplied with fresh air.
I guess the drawback is that the front and rear intake streams are opposite so there may be some turbulance in the middle, right? Anyway, here is a flow diagram of the case:
View attachment 2525057

The case's bottom part is packed with hdds and non-detachable psu cables so it's very hard to modify anything there.
No . You want the rear fan to remove the 300w heat that ur vga is dumping in the case. If U force it to stay inside(rear intake ) the only place where the warm air can exit is through ur top CPU rad. You dont want to cool the rad with 45-50C air. Just slow down the rear 120mm .2x top 120mm with resrtriction from radiator could exhaust like 2x20cfm. Rear 120 slowed down to 600rpm exhaust 30 cfm . 2x140mm intake @1000-1200rpm could push like 2x40cfm through that mesh fabric. So 80in , 70out is still positive pressure.

·
Fix it till its broke
1,067 Posts
Edit

whoops

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,171 ·
Hi all,
View attachment 2525057

In your case (no pun) rear (if using a rear fan) should be exhaust. Key to good airflow in your system will depend almost entirely on how good your front intake fans are. What model fans are your "two 140 fans as front intakes and an 120 one as a rear exhaust" fans? I ask because just saying "fans" only tells us you of some in vent that spins, but we don't know if they are good bad or mediocre.

I don't (rarely) ever use exhaust fans. Airflow is basic physics; for air to flow into case there has to be same amount of air flowing out of case. I would remove all back PCIe slot covers (to increase rear vent area and thus give case better front to back airflow around GPU) with 2x 140mm or 3x120mm high pressure fans. Tape over all openings in fan mounting panel not covered by fans (so air they push into case cannot leak around in front of them and go in circles. We want all the air they push into case to flow on thru case around GPU to exit thru back or up on out thru radiator. 3x 120mm / 2x 140mm hi-pressure fans will supply your case with more than enough airflow.

I think you will find 5th post in this thread of interest. It is a basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize it. While it is basically for cooling with air CPU coolers the principles are the same.

• Rep+
Reactions: bebius

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thank you both for the input.

Intakes are a P14 and a Pure Wings 2 140 High Speed.
I have already read the basic airflow physics posts. I have covered the unused opening on the front (before doing it, I could feel a lot of air with my hand coming back out of the opening beneath the intake fan). I haven't removed the slot covers as I have a curious cat in the house, I'm gonna check if it's possible for the cat to reach the interior of the case from those openings.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,173 ·
Indeed, we've talked a few times about cooling. ;)

P14 have good pressure rating (2.40mmH2O @ 1700rpm)
Pure Wing 2 140 high speed is decent as well (1.82mmH2O @ 1600rpm)
You should have decent case airflow. Think I've suggested it before, but just in case I missed something. I suggest monitoring temp of airflow entering GPU and radiator with remote sensor thermometer/s (as described in case airflow guide). There are many different kinds of these remote sensor thermometers ranging from cheap indoor / outdoor to basic terrarium / aquarium / fridge like in below links:
Digital Thermometer Temperature Monitor with Probe for Fridge Freezer Aquarium | eBay

Key is to setup case intake fans so they are pushing air in fast enough so air entering GPU and CPU is only a few degrees warmer than air entering case.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Im making an external box /frame for my 2 1080radiator ( 9x120mm surface each ) .
One side is open , with a dust filter . The radiator on the middle . The back side is also open , with fans pulling out air . Top and Bottom is sealed . So the air can only enter on the dustfiltered side / go through the radiator and exit on the back. BUT i dont want use 9fan /rad . I'd like to use 5 Arctic P12 /rad . My question is how deep box should i design ? Filter +1cm gap >Rad >> gap > exhaust fans . Obviously i want the 5 fan to pull through the whole surface of the 9x120mm radiator . So i need the fans to be a little further off . What is the optimal distance ? I was thinking 3-5cm is enough so they can cover the whole surface of the rad ?
And wich one is the better pattern to place the 5 fan ?
Rectangle Automotive lighting Gesture Font Electric blue

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
Im making an external box /frame for my 2 1080radiator ( 9x120mm surface each ) .
One side is open , with a dust filter . The radiator on the middle . The back side is also open , with fans pulling out air . Top and Bottom is sealed . So the air can only enter on the dustfiltered side / go through the radiator and exit on the back. BUT i dont want use 9fan /rad . I'd like to use 5 Arctic P12 /rad . My question is how deep box should i design ? Filter +1cm gap >Rad >> gap > exhaust fans . Obviously i want the 5 fan to pull through the whole surface of the 9x120mm radiator . So i need the fans to be a little further off . What is the optimal distance ? I was thinking 3-5cm is enough so they can cover the whole surface of the rad ?
And wich one is the better pattern to place the 5 fan ?
View attachment 2527118
I’d just copy the Caselabs extended pedestal design then. Think it’s 15” wide. Gives you more then enough room to use 60mm thick radiators in push/pull

·
Registered
604 Posts
I’d just copy the Caselabs extended pedestal design then. Think it’s 15” wide. Gives you more then enough room to use 60mm thick radiators in push/pull
Nope ,u did not understand my needs . Eng is not my main language ,probably its my fault , i can't explain it properly :( I dont wany push pull , in fact I dont even want add fans directly on radiators at all.
I want to create something like this : https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/attachments/img_20210914_114034-jpg.669696/ . Huge rads on top of each other , but with less fan and more stable/permanent structure .Also protected from accidents + hide all the cables / external PSU /adding pump /res ---->put all inside a box/ frame ,that would look like a huge floor standing speaker .

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Nope ,u did not understand my needs . Eng is not my main language ,probably its my fault , i can't explain it properly :( I dont wany push pull , in fact I dont even want add fans directly on radiators at all.
I want to create something like this : https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/attachments/img_20210914_114034-jpg.669696/ . Huge rads on top of each other , but with less fan and more stable/permanent structure .Also protected from accidents + hide all the cables / external PSU /adding pump /res ---->put all inside a box/ frame ,that would look like a huge floor standing speaker .
Will you be using fans or will you not be using fans?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Rectangle Red Entertainment
Yes ,i wrote it in 1st post . I plan to use 5-5 Arctic P12 behind each radiator .
Why not stack MO-RAs? I’ll be hiding all the wires under the fan shroud this weekend.

2161 - 2180 of 2229 Posts