Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. so idk much about watercooling.. so i was wondering if any of you experts out there could help me.... i need to cool my cpu. and i would also like to cool my northbridge.. i dont really have a budget limit. but it'd be nice if it werent that expensive

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I would suggest a 360 rad, 655 vario pump, micro res (or bay res if you prefer). I like my heatkiller cpu block, but there are lots of other choices.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Here is what you want:

MCP355
XSPC Reservoir Top for Laing DDC (MCP355)
EK Supreme HF Full Nickel - Best CPU block on the market
1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing - Good for preventing kinks and getting the highest flow rates
1/2" ID Barbed fittings
XSPC RX240 rad - good rad for low speed fans

You don't really need to cool your northbridge anymore, now that the memory controller has been removed from it and added to the CPU.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
I very much agree with the above post. I like Primochill tubing, and always just use distilled water and PT_Nuke. Like charliehorse said, skip the NB cooling, but you could get a full-cover block for your graphics card.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I just built my first WC rig myself and here is what I did:

Danger Den TDX CPU block (was on sale and cheaper than EK but I really liked the EK)
Primochill 1/2" x 3/4" tubing
Bitspower 1/2" barbs
Swiftech MCP-320 rad (probably should have gone XSPC / Feser but I kept seeing this listed as best cheap cooling rad my second rad is a TFC (Feser))
Swiftech MCP655 pump. I was planning on adding a GPU block and second rad (which I did this week) so I wanted higher flow rates. For CPU only it is overkill. Go with MCP355 and save some $$.

I spent $178.00US not counting fans on my CPU only loop. Warning, it is expensive and addictive

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trampton View Post
Like charliehorse said, skip the NB cooling, but you could get a full-cover block for your graphics card.

Yes. You'll need to upgrade your radiator power to something like a GTX 360 with medium speed fans or by adding another low performance 240mm.

For the GPU water block get a EK FC480 GTX Nickel - Plexi. It's one of the best performing water blocks on the market and it look awesome.

Here is a picture of two of them in SLI:

Credit for PIC @ USFORCES

And yes, I use this picture waay too much.

Green LEDs installed in the 5mm LED holes.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The XSPC Rasa waterblock is ~ $20 cheaper than the EK Supreme, and performs within 1C at load. If you're budget conscious, the Rasa is a better choice than the Supreme.

·
Village Idiot
2,393 Posts
XSPC RX or Swiftech MCR 360 rad
Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC top or DD CPX-Pro
Ek Supreme HF or XSPC Rasa
Swiftech MC-Res
7/16" ID tubing

Skip the motherboard cooling, it's a total waste.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Ek Supreme or XSPC Rasa

Skip the motherboard cooling, it's a total waste.
You mean the EK Supreme HF. The plain Supreme is 4C worse than any other high end block. (Rasa, XT, HF, 360)

And I agree. Motherboard cooling is pointless.

·
Village Idiot
2,393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
You mean the EK Supreme HF. The plain Supreme is 4C worse than any other high end block. (Rasa, XT, HF, 360)

And I agree. Motherboard cooling is pointless.
Good catch. Yes I meant the HF. Used to just calling it the Supreme with the HF being implied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts