Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so im finaly im WCing my gpus, i have a pair of 470s and i have no clue which way to gp,
i like the EK blocks, but they have 2 kinds, copper and nikel.
im torn, which one is better?
nikel seems to be more expansive
plz help
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/...cks-Page1.html

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
The nickel blocks are just copper with a thin nickel plating; it's generally preferred to use those blocks as you avoid potential oxidation by having the nickel plating.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMore1205 View Post
so get nickel plattin and dont look back?
does that mean i have to get special radiators or anything like that?
It'd be nearly impossible to get a nickel-plated radiator, but the closest you can get to an oxidation-free loop is to have all blocks be nickel-plated.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMore1205 View Post
so get nickel plattin and dont look back?
does that mean i have to get special radiators or anything like that?

Galvanic corrosion is what disintegrates your loop, causing bits of metal to get into the coolant as well as destroying water blocks and causing leaks. This will only happen if you use a metal in your loop other than Nickel, Copper, Bronze and Gold. (Aluminum is the perfect example of what NOT to use).

The problem with copper is that it can oxidize, which turns it green-black color. This doesn't hurt performance or cause metal bits to circle your loop, but it does make your block look bad. (This may not be a problem if you can't see any of the copper)

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
It's true that nothing actually bad results when copper oxidizes, but the oxidation reaction DOES strip copper away from the block (it has to come from somewhere), and in the long run that can be a problem depending on how much copper is stripped.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
The only problem you'll have using a all copper block is if the top is also copper, it will dis-color over time, nothing a little Brasso wont cure.

That includes the base of a copper block in contact with the IHS, the discoloration on it wont harm it's heat transfer.

As far as copper being in contact with water it's plainly a non-issue, what few copper ions get stripped are negligible.

On the other hand any type of plating will hurt heat transfer top a certain extent, also really a non-issue if the plating is done right and is thin.

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
The only problem you'll have using a all copper block is if the top is also copper, it will dis-color over time, nothing a little Brasso wont cure.

That includes the base of a copper block in contact with the IHS, the discoloration on it wont harm it's heat transfer.

As far as copper being in contact with water it's plainly a non-issue, what few copper ions get stripped are negligible.

On the other hand any type of plating will hurt heat transfer top a certain extent, also really a non-issue if the plating is done right and is thin.
Brasso brings back a beautiful shine to copper, avoid over usage, or the fumes will make you woozy or fly

Back on topic: I'm running sli gtx 470 w/ EK nickel blocks and matching nickel back plate. Besides the great temps, they are beautifully crafted imo. I check my blocks every few months or so to ensure no funny stuff happening. good thing I have a drain line

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wermad
View Post

Brasso brings back a beautiful shine to copper, avoid over usage, or the fumes will make you woozy or fly

Back on topic: I'm running sli gtx 470 w/ EK nickel blocks and matching nickel back plate. Besides the great temps, they are beautifully crafted imo. I check my blocks every few months or so to ensure no funny stuff happening. good thing I have a drain line

yes a drain line will def be part of the loop
Whats the best place for it?
after pump, or rigt before the res?
LOOp:
-->Res-->Pump--->360rad-->> gpu-->Gpu-->res--T drain-->

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,319 Posts
I have it at the bottom of my res.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts