Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just set up my WC loop a couple days ago.

I'm running a MCP655, MCR320 and Apogee GTZ. Loop Order is Pump-->Rad-->CPU-->Tee Line-->Pump.

Initially, I had only 2 yate loons in push.

In prime 95 small FFTs, I was getting 56, 56, 59, 59c on load

Then I got my Petras order in, and I added 4 more fans to do push/pull.

My temps in Prime 95 small FFTs went down to 52, 52, 55, 55c.

That was for about a day.

I'm using my basement (but I'm not really aware of the ambient, since I have no thermometer down here) I'd say it's pretty low, ~22c or so.

Then for fun I decided to run prime again and my temps went back to 56 56 59 59 on load.

What caused my temps to change? Is it possible that the ambient in my basement went up a bit, causing the load temps to slightly increase?

Did my waterblock come loose somehow?

What could this issue be?

is it to be expected that my temps will fluctuate from time to time?

help please

jam3s

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Hi.

Indeed, the ambient temperature is the baseline determining factor for air and liquid cooling.

Does it feel warmer to you in the room?

Has the humidity level changed?

Did you jostle or bump the system (perhaps the TIM seal broke)

Did your fan-speed get turned down?

To be certain, I would get a thermometer and log the ambient temperature. Doing so will eliminate that portion of the guess-work.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Hi.

Indeed, the ambient temperature is the baseline determining factor for air and liquid cooling.

Does it feel warmer to you in the room?

Has the humidity level changed?

Did you jostle or bump the system (perhaps the TIM seal broke)

Did your fan-speed get turned down?

To be certain, I would get a thermometer and log the ambient temperature. Doing so will eliminate that portion of the guess-work.

Hi yeah, it's an unfinished basement, so perhaps even though the temperature may be close to the same, I wouldn't be surprised if the humidity level has changed.

I will try to stop off at a local store to get a thermometer to log ambient temperature.

I haven't bumped the case, or even touched the loop for that matter.

I guess I just assumed that my basement temperatures would always stay the same (cause it's always so cold) I must be wrong, I don't think it's my waterblock and I haven't touched the loop itself... unless you think I should tighten it more?

Thanks for your help syr.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
food for thought 22*c is not that cold its 71*f. My first floor den stays @68 winter and 75 summer. which is 20* and 23.89

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
Well your ambient temp is very relevant to your idle/load temps. Couple of things to note:

1. Ambient Temp
2. Fan orientation
3. Number of fans (in your case)
4. Location of Radiator
5. Bubbles in loop

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
My pleasure.

It sounds as though the TIM-seal is intact.

Firming up on your ambient temp will help to determine what may be causing these fluctuations. I can say from my own systems that they can be very sensitive to ambient temperature and relative humidity.

A degree or 2 change in ambient, will cause my idle and load temps to change accordingly. And, when the humidity is higher, the air is heavier; the systems temperatures also have a tendency to change accordingly.

As for re-seating. Sometimes it takes several (or more
) attempts to get the TIM-seal that will do the job the "best".

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipseaudio4
View Post

food for thought 22*c is not that cold its 71*f. My first floor den stays @68 winter and 75 summer. which is 20* and 23.89

Show-off

lol. j/k

I'm just jealous as it gets into the high 30's (C) in my house during the Summer. Occasionally it will hit 40C

...sorry for the double.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipseaudio4
View Post

yeah see I really don't know to be honest, it could alot less than 22c. I'm just guessing since I have no thermometer. It just bugs me that I had max temps at 55c, and now it's going slightly higher. I wanted some stability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedevil
View Post

Well your ambient temp is very relevant to your idle/load temps. Couple of things to note:

1. Ambient Temp
2. Fan orientation
3. Number of fans (in your case)
4. Location of Radiator

I will have to figure out my ambient today by buying a thermometer. My fans are 6 12DSM-12 Yate Loon's in Push/Pull, and the radiator is located on the inner top of my cooler master HAF, with great ventilation.

I think as hinted to by syrillian the best way to figure this out is to get a thermometer and go from there.

I checked my upstairs thermostat and I noticed it was set to "heat" as it is winter time in Canada. However, it only shows the Temperature upstairs as 22c or 71F -- so I'm assuming that the temperature is either rising, or has risen.

My thoughts are that the upstairs temperature has made a significant change thus causing my basement's relative humidity to increase, making my ambient go up a tad bit.. which I attribute to this increase in temperatures...

I really can't see any other explanation for it. I will get a thermometer and report back.

jam3s

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

My pleasure.

It sounds as though the TIM-seal is intact.

Firming up on your ambient temp will help to determine what may be causing these fluctuations. I can say from my own systems that they can be very sensitive to ambient temperature and relative humidity.

A degree or 2 change in ambient, will cause my idle and load temps to change accordingly. And, when the humidity is higher, the air is heavier; the systems temperatures also have a tendency to change accordingly.

As for re-seating. Sometimes it takes several (or more
) attempts to get the TIM-seal that will do the job the "best".

I was aware that ambient has a huge effect on core temperatures (especially on load) but I just guess I was naive in assuming that since my basement "feels" colder, it must equal lower ambient and thus lower temperatures. Of course, I have no way of confirming this until I get a thermometer, so I'm going to assume that my basements humidity and/or temperature has gone up a bit. I can't see any other explanation..

So to sum up what you're saying syr, is that temperature changes are to be expected, especially since I'm in a volatile environment (my unfinished basement) and that my load temps will be susceptable to change even with humidity and the smallest increase in ambient.

jam3s

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Roll your case around and look for air bubbles. I would also do a reseat of your block. I know I run a bong but 50c+ sounds a bit high for water to me. I roll around 32c-36c on load anything over 40c and I start looking for bubbles and stuff. You are rocking a quad at a higher clock though. However I am thinking you can get better temps then that. Maybe buy some top of the line TIM?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTYDUCK View Post
Roll your case around and look for air bubbles. I would also do a reseat of your block. I know I run a bong but 50c+ sounds a bit high for water to me. I roll around 32c-36c on load anything over 40c and I start looking for bubbles and stuff. You are rocking a quad at a higher clock though. However I am thinking you can get better temps then that. Maybe buy some top of the line TIM?
I will try looking for air bubbles in my loop but I'm pretty sure it's 100% bled.

There could be some hiding in my pump or rad though, or even maybe in my Waterblock.

I asked ericeod who runs his Q9650 at 4.2 @ 1.31v as well what his load temps were and he gets around 63c* or so, except he has a NB waterblock, so I don't think my temps are toooo high.

I think my temperatures at 53, 53, 55, 55c are just around either optimal or just close to average.

I could do a re-seat but I dont want to go higher. Plus I'm short on AS5 :S

I will buy a Thermometer today and see where that gets me. Humidity could be another factor at play here as well.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
AS5 has a burn in time of 200 hours so it may be the fresh AS5 that is playing with your temps. as you burn it in it will get better. (or should) I think you can get about 4-5c better temps with a better TIM. Try some MX-2. I really liked it and I think I will be buying it again. Even though I have some ICdiamond. I think MX-2 is a bit easier to apply.
Other then that I would think your temps are not gonna hurt anything but you may want to play around and look for bubbles and stuff like was said before.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

AS5 has a burn in time of 200 hours so it may be the fresh AS5 that is playing with your temps. as you burn it in it will get better. (or should) I think you can get about 4-5c better temps with a better TIM. Try some MX-2. I really liked it and I think I will be buying it again. Even though I have some ICdiamond. I think MX-2 is a bit easier to apply.
Other then that I would think your temps are not gonna hurt anything but you may want to play around and look for bubbles and stuff like was said before.
alright, I also have some Shin-etsu, not sure what kind but it's rather thick and harder to apply.

Should I just go ahead and order MX-2?

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
the shin-etsu should be much better then the AS5. IMO AS5 is junk now. every other TIM on the market kicks its butt. Try heating up a cup of water in the microwave and soak your tube of shin in it for 5-8 mins before you apply it, this should loosen it up some so its easier to apply. I have found that you need to add a tiny bit more with the thicker Tim in order to get it to spread right. (I could be wrong but I have used a full tube of MX-2 and almost a full tube of ICdiamond and I think the ICdiamond is thicker and requires a bit more of an application, where as the MX-2 was softer and needed less to cover. Nothing beats a perfect TIM application and a solid mount!

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

the shin-etsu should be much better then the AS5. IMO AS5 is junk now. every other TIM on the market kicks its butt. Try heating up a cup of water in the microwave and soak your tube of shin in it for 5-8 mins before you apply it, this should loosen it up some so its easier to apply. I have found that you need to add a tiny bit more with the thicker Tim in order to get it to spread right. (I could be wrong but I have used a full tube of MX-2 and almost a full tube of ICdiamond and I think the ICdiamond is thicker and requires a bit more of an application, where as the MX-2 was softer and needed less to cover. Nothing beats a perfect TIM application and a solid mount!
alright thanks dirty, well deserved rep+

I will heat up some Shin-etsu, and give a reseat, (geez I'm lazy aren't I)

jam3s

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
yeah you know I get lazy from time to time with it as well...with my open loop I get all kinds of junk and gunk in my block pins. I have to reseat it and clean it out once a month or so to keep the flow up. Sometimes I put it off but after a while I got pretty good at it..I can disassemble, clean out and reassemble in about 10 mins. it really is not that hard to do after you get a system lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey jam3s, i have the same proc as you running at 4.0 @1.33. my loops consists of;

D-Tek Fusion V.2 Block
Feser One X-360 TFC Xchanger
Swiftech MCP655-Bâ„¢ 12v Water Pump
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir
6 Cooler Master 120x25mm Dual Ball Silent Fans - 109.6CFM in push/pull
1/2" Feser Tubing

My ambient on average is 23C. At idle im seeing temps 37-39C and under load ive seen it get up to 55C. Ive done 5 reseats and haven't noticed a change. I think our temps are pretty much on par with what we can expect. Either that or we both messed up somewhere along the way..

·
Registered
468 Posts
jam3s, I agree with a lot of the posters here that your ambient temp and humidty are most likely the cause of your issues. My cpu temps can swing up to 4-5c on any given day depending on whether the heat is on, window is open, humidifier on, etc. Definitely get a thermometer, and if you can find one, a barometer (I have a digital unit that's a barometer and thermo in one that ws worth every penny of the $30 I paid for it) and make a note of those readings and your cpu temps and you will definitely notice a trend...

As for TIM, a better one will prob gain you a degree or two, bu I doubt that's what's causing your inconsistency...

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
Just for reference I am sitting at 17C ambient and 35% humidity in my basement. I tend to idle at 3.6ghz now with 25,26,19,19 temps.....load.....around 40C tops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts