Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so Tygon this, Tygon that. I didn't want to mailorder tubing. So, I went to home depot and got some, I looked for tubing that I could bend in a short radius without kinks. Someone also told me that if you take a pot of boiling water and soak the tubing in it before bending it it makes it much more malleable and will even stay close to that angle.

I picked up two types of tubing, the first is just standard clear tubing (3/4" OD, 1/2" ID). The second is tubing that has these cross-stiches in it. I think it bends better w/o kinks but its super ugly (3/4" OD 1/2" ID). I don't have a window in my case but I still want it to look decent. BOTH of these together (10Ft.) were cheaper than a single 10ft. bundle of Tygon. Bleh. So is this a mistake? Have others tried this very same thing and failed miserably with leaks and such? Will it stain? Oh the questions!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I dont think tygon is as great as its talked up to be, I just recommend that what ever hose you use you make sure it has a 1/4" thickness. I like 1/4 because it doesnt kink and still bends nicely. The best tubing i used was clearflex tubing. As for your tubing, using the reinforced tubing is fine, I have seen alot of very good watercooling set ups use that tubing because it is cheap and reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I swear by Tygon, it's absolutely the best tubing on the market. It's expensive but nothing else is as flexible or duable. Even with sub zero coolant, Tygon doesn't become stiff or brittle like other PVC/silicon tubing.

About 4 years ago, I picked up a 50' roll of lab grade (forgot the exact model) Tygon for around $20 on eBay, looking quickly I find these which are a pretty good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Saint-Gobain-Tyg...QQcmdZViewItem for 3/8" ID users...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tygon-Plastic-Tu...QQcmdZViewItem for 1/2" ID setups, this dude is selling several boxes of this stuff for a very low price!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killnine

Is yours that coppery color too?

Yes it was similar in colour when wraped up however when it was rolled out, it's clear.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
That Home Depot tubing is crap.
It dosn't have the wall thickness that Tygon, or even Clearflex has. But Tygon and Clearflex seem to have very similar bend radiuses, but clearflex takes more effort to manuver it around in your case. I woulden't reccomend that you strech out cheapo tubing with small wall thickness, the tubing will probabally rip, Tygon tubing wont rip as easily as cheaper tubing.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i bought some home depot stuff and it is not crap, i could kick your [email protected]@ with the stuff found. it is in fact way too durable and puts alot of stress on my components. i would recomend clearflex for a lower price alternative. jab tech has it for .89 a foot when you buy 10ft or more. their shipping also starts around $4.

still the home depot stuff is working for me now, i just wont ever use it again.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
I used the HD non-nylon reinforced stuff, and the move from that to PrimoFlex was amazing, Primoflex bends so much better than the HD stuff. I actually might consider buying that 1/2 Tygon on ebay for future plumbing adventures
, but definitely go for the Primoflex or the Tygon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts