Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
AMD's supposedly upcoming Radeon HD 7990 GPU would be codenamed "Malta" (Previously codenamed New Zealand) and would possibly feature dual Tahiti XT cores however the source wasn't able to confirm that. Nevertheless, the Dual cores allocated to the Radeon HD 7990 would operate at an frequency beyond 1 GHz. Currently, the fastest Radeon HD 7990 solution from ASUS codenamed "ARES II" is clocked at 1050 MHz stock and 1150 MHz Boost so AMD would be looking to topple that with their own Malta Radeon HD 7990 GPU.
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-hd-7990-dual-chip-gpu-codenamed-malta-core-clocked-1-ghz/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Wccftechcom+%28WCCFtech.com%29
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,220 Posts
Uh... that's a horrible Idea and will only weaken the 7990 brand name. I hope this is fake. If they are going to make a 7990 then they too should add a fancy bling bling cooler to it and make it run 2 7970s

The Ares 2, Devil and PowerColor 7990 are doing a great job holding the touch for AMDs absent 7990.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

Uh... that's a horrible Idea and will only weaken the 7990 brand name. I hope this is fake. If they are going to make a 7990 then they too should add a fancy bling bling cooler to it and make it run 2 7970s

The Ares 2, Devil and PowerColor 7990 are doing a great job holding the touch for AMDs absent 7990.
I'm sorry, not catching here.

2 slot>3 slot.

Probably hotter and noisier, but slimmer, sleeker, lighter, and more appealing than a couple kg behemoth. plus AMD's reference cooler beats the crap out of the Devil13 in looks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
I've been saying since they clarified that there would be no new GPUs until the fall/winter that they had to bring something like this to the table. In my eyes it is a mistake if they don't, especially now that Nvidia has the 690 AND Titan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

I'm sorry, not catching here.

2 slot>3 slot.

Probably hotter and noisier, but slimmer, sleeker, lighter, and more appealing than a couple kg behemoth. plus AMD's reference cooler beats the crap out of the Devil13 in looks.
The 6990 was a mess.

Fast was about it's only saving grace and even then it was challenged heavily by the GTX590 which was a better card in every other way (Except the VRMs - those sucked) 590 with better Vrms would have been a mighty beast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

The 6990 was a mess.

Fast was about it's only saving grace and even then it was challenged heavily by the GTX590 which was a better card in every other way (Except the VRMs - those sucked) 590 with better Vrms would have been a mighty beast!
maybe so but a 590 could not do 3 way sli with a gtx 580
that's what made the 6990 a really nice card
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
Interesting. I guess this will use binned chips, just like GTX 690. 6990 was horribly noisy and hot, let's hope that AMD finally starts to make decent coolers. All AMD reference coolers pretty much suck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

Uh... that's a horrible Idea and will only weaken the 7990 brand name. I hope this is fake. If they are going to make a 7990 then they too should add a fancy bling bling cooler to it and make it run 2 7970s

The Ares 2, Devil and PowerColor 7990 are doing a great job holding the touch for AMDs absent 7990.
No they aren't.

We need an accessible aggressively clocked R7990 that is eyefinity 5 capable. ARESII is but that's it and they are stupid expensive and hard to find and come with that stupid water cooling solution. Powercolor R7990 is a powerhouse but not capable of eyefinity. I want a two slot reference design with an EK block.

And seriously if they release this, GTX Titan can suck it. Will be far cheaper.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seid Dark View Post

Interesting. I guess this will use binned chips, just like GTX 690. 6990 was horribly noisy and hot, let's hope that AMD finally starts to make decent coolers. All AMD reference coolers pretty much suck.
HD6990 was noisy and hot, but ran up to expectations and didn't miserably burn itself when overclocked.

*cough* 8800 series.
*cough* 9800 series.
*cough* GTX2 series.
*cough* GTX4 series.

Need I to continue? nVIDIA's coolers only work since the GTX5 series half decently, and only with the GTX6 series they got their stuff sorted out.

AMD's coolers have been fine since the HD4890 (hell was it noisy). That their double slot dual GPU coolers are noisy is to be expected.

They're switching from single central turbine to triple push fan, that will cut in noise for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

HD6990 was noisy and hot, but ran up to expectations and didn't miserably burn itself when overclocked.

*cough* 8800 series.
*cough* 9800 series.
*cough* GTX2 series.
*cough* GTX4 series.

Need I to continue? nVIDIA's coolers only work since the GTX5 series half decently, and only with the GTX6 series they got their stuff sorted out.

AMD's coolers have been fine since the HD4890 (hell was it noisy). That their double slot dual GPU coolers are noisy is to be expected.

They're switching from single central turbine to triple push fan, that will cut in noise for sure.
So by your logic, when we see 680 running below 70 consuming 195W it is solely because it has a superior cooler to say a 580 with it's 243W TDP, that actually went over 300W when overclocked and overvolted?

Every cooler has a targeted TDP value it is designed to handle, plus there's a size limitation for power hungry card, as you do have a limited amount of space to deal with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
AMD better come up with their own Titan quickly. I think they have such a GPU (as seen with FirePro), but are unwilling to release (maybe Titan will change that).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGTy View Post

AMD better come up with their own Titan quickly. I think they have such a GPU (as seen with FirePro), but are unwilling to release (maybe Titan will change that).
Titan has such a miniscule market to sell in that AMD doesn't care. Selling FirePro cards as Radeons would cost them money, and do little for most consumers. It's just bragging rights and very niche workload that will benefit realistically from such a setup. It doesn't blow away any of the competing single GPU's enough to make the price make sense, and Xfire and SLI are cheaper while performing similar to better. Titan SLI will require an extremely expensive rig just to not bottleneck thus further shrinking its target market.

To AMD, the Titan is smoke and mirrors, a PR stunt. AMD only had to address Titan and rumors as of late as there were false negative rumors stirring about AMD in the press and online and Titan was coming out at the same time. The timing made it look bad for AMD, like they had no new cards, had delays and problems, and had no answer to the Titan. Letting such a perfect storm of rumors run wild would be very bad for them, so they addressed it. But like much of what was reported in their teleconference has come true. Titan isn't that much of a threat, and has no real market. AMD has picked its markets and is winning on price/performance along its entire line. They have no interest in this niche market the Titan is aimed at, and feel there is enough in the market to combat it anyway. As I said, you can get similar performance for far cheaper. And very few workloads make use of Titans muscle. And few users have a need to run such workloads. Titan is said to be best for SLI. But you need such an overpriced uber rig to not bottleneck (Ivy-E). This limits its market further. I feel like a broken record.

Edit> As for being future proofed... by the time these things are put to use (software catching up) there will likely be better offerings in the channel with newer archs on smaller nodes using less power, being quieter, etc. In the short and long terms, these are bad price/performance and good for niche markets and those who want/need it regardless of how overpriced it is...

AMD has nothing to fear from Titan as its not competing with AMD or affecting any of AMD's market right now...

This ref 7990 interests me though. Based on Tahiti XT? Interesting. I wonder how this will affect OC vs the "7990"s that are out now from third party vendors. Anything new is nice. I don't like the timing though... Since the Titan is underwhelming, they should have leaked it a lil later, adding insult to injury rather than making it look like an answer to the launch...

Obviously what I say is my opinion only, not trying to say its truth for all people/circumstances/workloads...

It's hard to have a hard stance on a topic and be opinionated, while still trying to come off as unbiased an unoffensive... Hence me always rambling and ranting and over-explaining myself and having to state its an opinion.
tongue.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowyn View Post

So by your logic, when we see 680 running below 70 consuming 195W it is solely because it has a superior cooler to say a 580 with it's 243W TDP, that actually went over 300W when overclocked and overvolted?

Every cooler has a targeted TDP value it is designed to handle, plus there's a size limitation for power hungry card, as you do have a limited amount of space to deal with.
Meaning? If the coolers were underpowered for their applications, it's nVIDIA/AMD's sole fault.

6990's TDP was 375W. GTX590 was 365. nVIDIA's cooling solution was more efficient. We agreed on that before. Both boards had other issues, aside from cooling performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Titan has such a miniscule market to sell in that AMD doesn't care. Selling FirePro cards as Radeons would cost them money, and do little for most consumers. It's just bragging rights and very niche workload that will benefit realistically from such a setup. It doesn't blow away any of the competing single GPU's enough to make the price make sense, and Xfire and SLI are cheaper while performing similar to better. Titan SLI will require an extremely expensive rig just to not bottleneck thus further shrinking its target market.

To AMD, the Titan is smoke and mirrors, a PR stunt. AMD only had to address Titan and rumors as of late as there were false negative rumors stirring about AMD in the press and online and Titan was coming out at the same time. The timing made it look bad for AMD, like they had no new cards, had delays and problems, and had no answer to the Titan. Letting such a perfect storm of rumors run wild would be very bad for them, so they addressed it. But like much of what was reported in their teleconference has come true. Titan isn't that much of a threat, and has no real market. AMD has picked its markets and is winning on price/performance along its entire line. They have no interest in this niche market the Titan is aimed at, and feel there is enough in the market to combat it anyway. As I said, you can get similar performance for far cheaper. And very few workloads make use of Titans muscle. And few users have a need to run such workloads. Titan is said to be best for SLI. But you need such an overpriced uber rig to not bottleneck (Ivy-E). This limits its market further. I feel like a broken record.

Edit> As for being future proofed... by the time these things are put to use (software catching up) there will likely be better offerings in the channel with newer archs on smaller nodes using less power, being quieter, etc. In the short and long terms, these are bad price/performance and good for niche markets and those who want/need it regardless of how overpriced it is...

AMD has nothing to fear from Titan as its not competing with AMD or affecting any of AMD's market right now...

This ref 7990 interests me though. Based on Tahiti XT? Interesting. I wonder how this will affect OC vs the "7990"s that are out now from third party vendors. Anything new is nice. I don't like the timing though... Since the Titan is underwhelming, they should have leaked it a lil later, adding insult to injury rather than making it look like an answer to the launch...

Obviously what I say is my opinion only, not trying to say its truth for all people/circumstances/workloads...

It's hard to have a hard stance on a topic and be opinionated, while still trying to come off as unbiased an unoffensive... Hence me always rambling and ranting and over-explaining myself and having to state its an opinion.
tongue.gif
Yeah, look on the bright(er) side. 4GB+ vRAM on affordable next gen cards anyone ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
I mean this is a move that really puts the Titan in such a tight spot, tighter than it already is. The Titan is being marketed to either rich kids or people who have tons of cash already, most of which comprise the ~3% range of computer users, if not less. This 7990 if it makes it to the market, will be so much more of a cost effective GPU that when paired with a 7970/7950, will perform around where the Titan is, I'm guessing higher. Titan really has it's work cut out for it if AMD plans on releasing the 7990 at a very aggressive price range.
 
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Top