Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Never Finished
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

The fully enabled Hawaii GPU as seen from the die shot has 48 Compute Units, 192 Texture Mapping Units and 64 Raster Operators. The 48 Compute units amount to a total of 3072 stream processors. That's the same number of cores once featured on AMD's Radeon HD 6990 dual-chip graphics card and also the same number of cores which are currently available on NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 690 dual-chip card. Although there's no comparison between the cores since all cards are based on different architectures but its still a surprise that AMD can integrated such a high number of cores in their flagship chip, NVIDIA's GK110 has a maximum 2880 Cuda core count on the high-performance GeForce GTX 780 Ti and its Tesla/Quadro variants.
Source

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wow, how will Nvidia counter this bad boy? I mean the GK110 in all its glory as the 780 TI, looks like Maxwell on 28nm is coming sooner than later!

Its crazy that AMD can fit all that into a 440mm2 die package

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post

Wow, how will Nvidia counter this bad boy? I mean the GK110 in all its glory as the 780 TI, looks like Maxwell on 28nm is coming sooner than later!
Well GK110 is bigger (> 500mm^2), Hawaii is newer, so a 780TI and a 290XXX or whatever should compete nicely with each other.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcamaross View Post

The difference between this and the 290x would be like the difference between the 290 and the 290x, right?
if core count is the only difference then sure. 290x has 256 more cores and this "new" chip has 256 more cores then 290x.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcamaross View Post

The difference between this and the 290x would be like the difference between the 290 and the 290x, right?
if core count is the only difference then sure. 290x has 256 more cores and this "new" chip has 256 more cores then 290x.
though I guess it could possibly scale less with more cores, but maybe not, this could give a 780ti a run for its money

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
That's surprising.

I bet those people having success unlocking their 290's to 290X's might have even more luck in the future.
Sadly, with a new fab process long overdue (for the love of god,) hopefully coming soon.. who'll really care by the time this is released to consumers (if it even ever is?)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Guys, this is just someone comparing and scaling die shots between pitcairn, tahiti, and Hawaii, and using block sizes to figure that there isn't enough area taken up by the 44CU that AMD has said it has. Seriously doubt they have a 48CU gpu since even The Stilt at XS said its only 44 in the thread this originated from.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?288145-Hawaii-3072SP

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Even if they do release it, how would they cool the thing? The 290x is HOT, a fully enabled chip would have thermals skyrocket unless binned extensively.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaykill View Post

What would they call it? R9 290x Ti (hahah), R9 290xx, R9 295? Who knows, assuming it exists.
The R9 290XTX would be a fitting title. I haven't seen the two companies compete this way since the 1950XTX was released. To a lot of people, that card proved that AMD was here to stay.

Still, I'm skeptical. It didn't make sense to start selling a new chip this late in the life of a fabrication process. To release another product in Q1-2 2014 seems unfathomable, but who knows.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaykill View Post

What would they call it? R9 290x Ti (hahah), R9 290xx, R9 295? Who knows, assuming it exists.
it'll be R9 290XXX, triple X ftw
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.