1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
Quote:
AMD Preparing To Launch 13 New Graphics Cards Based On Vega 11 GPU

A few days ago we reported that AMD's Vega 11 GPU is entering production and that company had placed wafer orders some time ago with Globalfoundries, its manufacturing partner to produce the GPU dies. Yesterday, 13 different graphics card variants based on the new Vega 11 GPU passed their RRA certification in South Korea. Which means that Vega 11 based graphics cards are now ready to enter the market.

The RRA certification for Vega 10 appeared just a month ahead of AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition announcement, so we're definitely nearing Vega 11's debut. There were only six graphics board variants based on the Vega 10 GPU mentioned in its RRA ceritifaction, Vega 11 has 13.

Unlike Vega 10 which was exclusive to the desktop, Vega 11 will be the first ever HBM based graphics card to come to notebooks. So a number of those 13 certified boards are going to be mobile variants. If things go according to plan for AMD, Vega 11 should be ready to go into notebooks in time for the holiday season alongside its Raven Ridge APUs.

According to information that surfaced a couple of months ago, we know that two of the 13 graphics cards will be RX Vega boards and two more will be Radeon Pro boards. Finally, an unknown number of the 13 variants are Radeon Instinct accelerators.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 32 & RX Vega 28 (RUMOR)
Whispers around the industry are that the two RX Vega boards based on Vega 11 will be RX Vega 32 and RX Vega 28. Vega 11 XT is rumored to have 2048 GCN stream processors, a 1024-bit memory interface and 4GB of HBM2, while Vega 11 Pro is rumored to have 1792 stream processors and the same memory interface and capacity. The cards are expected to go up against NVIDIA's GTX 1060. As with all rumors take this information with a grain of salt. We should be able to learn more fairly soon, so stay tuned.

Would someone be kind enough to translate the Korean?

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post

I kinda thought they would be moving to PCIe 4.0 but for Vega 11.
Why would AMD move to PCIe 4.0 when their newest platform is on PCIe 3.0?

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomo4shO View Post

Why would AMD move to PCIe 4.0 when their newest platform is on PCIe 3.0?
It doesn't make any sense, but then again AMD made PCIe 3.0 cards for years while their highest-end CPU platform until early 2017 (AM3+) could only support PCIe 2.0 natively...

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

It doesn't make any sense, but then again AMD made PCIe 3.0 cards for years while their highest-end CPU platform until early 2017 (AM3+) could only support PCIe 2.0 natively...
PCIe 3.0 was finalized in Nov 2010 and the first motherboard with PCIe 3.0 didn't hit the market until July 2011 on Z68. When a majority of your GPUs are sold and used Intel's platforms, you adapt. Until we see incorporation of PCIe 4.0 (specifications were just finalized in June 2017) into chipsets and motherboards, we won't see it adopted for GPUs.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Hopefully not sold out to miners.

The shader count isn't that impressive ; unless they're clocked much higher than Polaris it could be another letdown

인증 현황검색과 = Authentication status search
===========================================
기기명칭 = Name of device
모델명 = Model name
피생 모델명 = Related models
인증번호= certification number
제조가 = Manufacturing
제조국가 = Country of manufacture , 중국 = China
인증연열일 = Certified date

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,157 Posts
So these aren't replacements to vega 64 and 56...?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
4GB LOL.

why cant they use the same HBM chips as Vega FE? a single stack will be 8GB with those.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgaming247 View Post

gunner2.gif
gunner.gif

let the gpu wars begin
they never started. Nvidia already has cards with twice as much power that AMD can produce, they just have no reason to put them into production yet cause no competition, Volta was delayed because Nvidia said the 1080 ti is plenty of power, and is 50-fps faster in GTAV for example while costing only $130 more than vega 64 on Newegg right now. not to mention vega 64 can't OC well, but the 1080 ti does, and benches show 5-10 fps gains from it. so add 60 fps gain in GTAV and 30fps gain across the board... at 1440p.

its just sad how far behind AMD really is.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

So these aren't replacements to vega 64 and 56...?
They are Vega-11 chips, which were meant to be mid-range variants of Vega 56/64 (Vega-10 chips). The replacements you are looking for would be Vega-20 chips (matured/refreshed Vega) in 2018 and whatever RTG pumps out for Navi, my guess to be released in 2019/2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

they never started. Nvidia already has cards with twice as much power that AMD can produce, they just have no reason to put them into production yet cause no competition, Volta was delayed because Nvidia said the 1080 ti is plenty of power, and is 50-fps faster in GTAV for example while costing only $130 more than vega 64 on Newegg right now. not to mention vega 64 can't OC well, but the 1080 ti does, and benches show 5-10 fps gains from it. so add 60 fps gain in GTAV and 30fps gain across the board... at 1440p.

its just sad how far behind AMD really is.
That's why I bought a 1080Ti a week after Vega launched. I was ready to buy Vega at launch, but with the dismal supply and prices, it wasn't worth waiting around for everything to normalize. Pretty happy with the 1080Ti, just wished the next gen Ultrawide monitors would release already!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think that's hard to say. I wouldn't consider Vega RTG's bulldozer because I think that it is almost exactly what RTG wanted it to be. They had a power goal and a performance goal across multiple applications and workloads and I believe they met it in most of them. Bulldozer was a complete technological failure as well as a financial failure. I think Vega will still sell relatively well in its Pro and Instinct lines, mostly riding the tailcoats of Ryzen.

Would I say that Vega is the biggest flop in comparison to the Radeons released in the last decade? Yes. Yes I would.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts