Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 2870 Posts

·
Consumerism 101
Joined
·
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source
Quote:
AMD's $199 RX 480 Is Even More Impressive When Overclocked

With the Radeon RX 480 and the RX 400 series in general AMD wants every user to be able to extract even more value out of their RX 400 series graphics card. Beyond what they'd normally get straight out of the box. The key to achieve this is to make overclocking more accessible, more convenient and more valuable. This is where AMD's new overclocking tool will play an instrumental role in supercharging the bang behind every buck.

We've detailed sometime ago that AMD's new RX 400 series featured more sophisticated boost function and on-chip and voltage regulation hardware. The new tool takes full advantage of that to make overclocking easier, more straightforward and deliver better results. AMD's new overclocking tool will include an assortment of features, including voltage control.
That's right, this is the very first time any GPU maker has done this. In fact this move goes entirely in the opposite direction that we've seen Nvidia take in recent years with its Greenlight program. Which significantly limited the control AIBs and users had over voltage adjustments.

AMD already offers an in-house overclocking solution in the form of its OverDrive utility found in Radeon Settings - AMD's relatively new graphics control panel - and the Catalyst Control Center before that. However, the new tool substantially builds on OverDrive's functionality. The tool's host of features will include everything from performance monitoring, fan and clock profiles to voltage control and a few more unique features that we'll detail in a future article.

The AMD Radeon RX 480 Is Readily Capable Of ~1.4Ghz And Can Hit 1.5Ghz+ On Air

Now let's talk more about what the RX 480 can do in terms of overclocking. Most AIB RX 480 graphics cards and the reference designed RX 480 will be capable of ~1.4Ghz boost clocks after some very basic overclocking. The cards can be pushed beyond that with some voltage adjustments. The 6+8 pin "Beast Mode" RX 480 cards that we had talked about two days ago will come with pretty hefty factory overclocks right out of the box and some will be able to hit 1.5Ghz+.

Now, all of these are just numbers. So to put it all into perspective, an overclocked RX 480 will actually perform within striking distance of AMD's current R9 Fury X flagship. At less than one third of the cost. If that's not a good enough point to end on, I don't know what is.
It is WCCF so take it with a pound of salt...
 

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
Joined
·
6,475 Posts
WCCF, fake?

I don't think AMD is going to let users control voltage and blow up the chip at launch, at least not this early.
 

·
Irrigator of Souls
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I bet the AIBs will have no problem with breaking from that measly $199 pricepoint, if this pushes up there into Fury X / 980Ti territory. I guess the question is how well the stock board will do compared to an AIB, with all the additional power capacity they can add.

Hmm... I'm starting to believe we won't see Vega this year at all.

But then, "overclocker's dream..."
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infranoia View Post

I bet the AIBs will have no problem with breaking from that measly $199 pricepoint, if this pushes up there into Fury X / 980Ti territory. I guess the question is how well the stock board will do compared to an AIB, with all the additional power capacity they can add.

Hmm... I'm starting to believe we won't see Vega this year at all.
No way this touches Fury X or 980 Ti, not at $199 or even $299.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
The leaked benchmarks have this around a 390x at stock clock at 1250mhz odd (cant remember the exact clock)

1500mhz is around a 15% overclock.

Fury X / TI is around 30% faster then a 390x

Assuming the 390x perf and 1500mhz is accurate it should fall short by 15%... but then you can overclock the FuryX/980ti anyway (FuryX overclock only squeezes 8-9% whereas the TI will squeeze 20%+)

Cliffs: nothing to get too excited about
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts

·
Irrigator of Souls
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Yeah, on reflection there's too much WCCF in this thread. Color me skeptical. This will be a fine card for the AIBs and maybe we'll see some interesting LN2 scores, but let's not make this launch something it's not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkzilla View Post

The leaked benchmarks have this around a 390x at stock clock at 1250mhz odd (cant remember the exact clock)

1500mhz is around a 15% overclock.

Fury X / TI is around 30% faster then a 390x

Assuming the 390x perf and 1500mhz is accurate it should fall short by 15%... but then you can overclock the FuryX/980ti anyway (FuryX overclock only squeezes 8-9% whereas the TI will squeeze 20%+)

Cliffs: nothing to get too excited about
biggrin.gif
http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-faster-than-nano-980/
Quote:
Originally Posted by infranoia View Post

Yeah, on reflection there's too much WCCF in this thread. Color me skeptical. This will be a fine card for the AIBs and maybe we'll see some interesting LN2 scores, but let's not make this launch something it's not.
It does sit quite perfectly with that Chiphell leak we've seen previously.

It sounds plausible the more I think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkzilla View Post

The leaked benchmarks have this around a 390x at stock clock at 1250mhz odd (cant remember the exact clock)

1500mhz is around a 15% overclock.

Fury X / TI is around 30% faster then a 390x

Assuming the 390x perf and 1500mhz is accurate it should fall short by 15%... but then you can overclock the FuryX/980ti anyway (FuryX overclock only squeezes 8-9% whereas the TI will squeeze 20%+)

Cliffs: nothing to get too excited about
biggrin.gif
According to https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/24.html the difference is more around 20% overall depending on resolution, wich would be roughly the same as the overclock % (~250MHz/1266MHz)

the question remains how many cards will actually reach 1,5GHz+ though...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,830 Posts
Last night I was thinking about this myself, basically 14nm also allows the same clockspeed improvements as 16nm:



So I was thinking, compared to the Fury X they went from 1050 MHz to 1266MHz with the RX480 and gained a 20% increase in clockspeed.

Which leaves another 20% increase leftover for overclocking which brings us to 1520MHz

This means potentially, that the rumor about the $300 Polaris card as fast as a 980 Ti is just a non-reference custom board partner RX480 that has factory overclocks that put it basically at Fury X levels, and then after overclocked 980 Ti levels.

If this all pans out to be true, without a doubt I will be getting a RX480.
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Last night I was thinking about this myself, basically 14nm also allows the same clockspeed improvements as 16nm:



So I was thinking, compared to the Fury X they went from 1050 MHz to 1266MHz with the RX480 and gained a 20% increase in clockspeed.

Which leaves another 20% increase leftover for overclocking which brings us to 1520MHz

This means potentially, that the rumor about the $300 Polaris card as fast as a 980 Ti is just a non-reference custom board partner RX480 that has factory overclocks that put it basically at Fury X levels, and then after overclocked 980 Ti levels.

If this all pans out to be true, without a doubt I will be getting a RX480.
By that chart it looks like 14LPP which amd is using is 10% more than the 16nm Finfet. So maybe 1600 Mhz?
redface.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

By that chart it looks like 14LPP which amd is using is 10% more than the 16nm Finfet. So maybe 1600 Mhz?
redface.gif
I was originally going to note that there is probably another 10% leftover in there, because of that, which puts us exactly at 1646MHz (OC Titan X levels?)
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

I was originally going to note that there is probably another 10% leftover in there, because of that, which puts us exactly at 1646MHz (OC Titan X levels?)
So at 1625Mhz (Guessing this could be an achievable overclock) I could see this inbetween the 980 and 980 ti, and around the Fury. So thats some pretty good company for whatever it costs at sub $299.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elohim View Post

According to https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/24.html the difference is more around 20% overall depending on resolution, wich would be roughly the same as the overclock % (~250MHz/1266MHz)

the question remains how many cards will actually reach 1,5GHz+ though...
One. The one that i'll be ordering.
biggrin.gif


I got 380MHz oc on one of my 290s. Maybe i'll be lucky again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

So at 1625Mhz (Guessing this could be an achievable overclock) I could see this inbetween the 980 and 980 ti, and around the Fury. So thats some pretty good company for whatever it costs at sub $299.
AMD has always scaled better with overclocks in relation to MHz increases. Where they see large gains with even small MHz increases. Meaning at 1500MHz it will easily already be at 980 Ti levels.
 
1 - 20 of 2870 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top