Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Benchmarks for AMD's upcoming Raven Ridge APUs featuring the Zen CPU & Vega GPU microarchitectures have been spotted. The mobile Ryzen family of chips is expected to launch within the next couple of months, ahead of the holiday season. The particular Ryzen mobile APU sample that has been spotted is a mid range Ryzen 5 2500U chip, featuring 4 cores and support for 8 threads. This indicates that we will see even faster Ryzen 7 mobile parts. Back when Raven Ridge was made official in May AMD announced that Ryzen mobile will deliver up to 50% better CPU performance and up to 40% better GPU performance at half the power.

Based on the leaked performance figures we have on hand we have very little doubt that AMD has hit those goals. The Ryzen 5 2500U managed to score 9723 points in the multi-core portion of the Geekbench 4 test and 3625 points in the single threaded portion of the same test. By comparison, AMD's fastest mobile Bristol Ridge A12 9800B part scores nearly half the points in the multi-core portion of the test and more than 1200 points less in the single threaded portion of the test.

This translates to a 90% performance improvement in multi-threaded workloads and a 56% improvement in single-threaded performance. These figures vastly exceed what AMD had previously promised in May when Ryzen mobile was first announced.
Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-mobile-apu-benchmarks-leaked-90-faster-bristol-ridge/

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
" up to 40% better GPU performance"
That is quite disappointing.
Still end up being slower than MX150 and 1040 laptops while costing almost the same.
Nothing short of an RX560 based laptop will do for todays gaming requirements at 1080p.
720p sure the Ryzen mobile APU might be barely adequate but who games at 720p anymore?

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit9206 View Post

Still end up being slower than MX150 and 1040 laptops while costing almost the same.
Nothing short of an RX560 based laptop will do for todays gaming requirements at 1080p.
720p sure the Ryzen mobile APU might be barely adequate but who games at 720p anymore?
At half the power so at the same power it could very well be like 70%.
I hope the efficiency has been of bigger concern though.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
I hope Zen SOCs find their way to tablets.

I'd preorder it day one of AMD managed to squeeze four Zen cores with HT into a tablet at ~2GHz. I don't particularly care about the GPU as long as it is faster than Intel's HD 530 or whatever was in Skylake Core M.

I'd be basically duplicating the processing power of my current tablet - and that would mean I have a fully functional mobile editing workstation.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I may finally have a reason to sell my HP Pavilion Core i5 2450M. That thing is a beast of a laptop but I may have to sell it and go full AMD.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohms View Post

I wonder if the Asus Strix model will be faster than my Acer Predator i7-6700HQ / Geforce GTX 1070.
Yes, a mobile Zen APU will definitely be faster than a GTX 1070.

/s

·
Vandelay Industries
2,182 Posts
Quote:

Obviously the Asus Strix is going to have a dedicated GPU, so whatever they decide to pair it with.
They wouldn't use an APU if they are using high end discrete. It would be counterintuitive.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post

They wouldn't use an APU if they are using high end discrete. It would be counterintuitive.
Companies are often counter-intuitive with products. Intel's processors all have integrated graphics even if they have dedicated graphics.

Besides, then you can switch to APU's GPU for low power usage on battery, and high power discrete for games or whatever while plugged in.
thumb.gif

·
Vandelay Industries
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindex View Post

Companies are often counter-intuitive with products. Intel's processors all have integrated graphics even if they have dedicated graphics.

Besides, then you can switch to APU's GPU for low power usage on battery, and high power discrete for games or whatever while plugged in. :thumb
Wouldn't that bottleneck the heck out of one of these APUs when the discrete (1070 or higher) was in use? I get the case where the discrete wouldn't be limited by the performance of the cpu, but that's not the case here. Or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:

^

Waste of money, die space and power budget.

Far better off running a regular processor.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Idle power consumption of GPUs from the last 2 generations is beyond spectacular. You're looking at single digit figures for the whole card. Now, get rid of all of that and only have the GPU spitting out LVDS straight to the display, without all the accessory circuitry needed on a PCI-E form factor card.

You're looking at pretty much negligible differences vs. a powerful on-die GPU.

Now, if you're talking about Intel IGPs, yeah I will agree. Those are pretty good in power consumption, on account of their beyond anemic performance.

But AMD APU+dedicated GPU... The GPU on the APU side is just wasting die space.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindex View Post

Besides, then you can switch to APU's GPU for low power usage on battery, and high power discrete for games or whatever while plugged in.
thumb.gif
Quote:

Not really and as Cindex said you'd get good performance to battery if you switched to the APU when not gaming.

I believe the previous APUs laptops were packaged with the RX 480 mobile GPUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Idle power consumption of GPUs from the last 2 generations is beyond spectacular. You're looking at single digit figures for the whole card. Now, get rid of all of that and only have the GPU spitting out LVDS straight to the display, without all the accessory circuitry needed on a PCI-E form factor card.

You're looking at pretty much negligible differences vs. a powerful on-die GPU.

Now, if you're talking about Intel IGPs, yeah I will agree. Those are pretty good in power consumption, on account of their beyond anemic performance.

But AMD APU+dedicated GPU... The GPU on the APU side is just wasting die space.
You also do realize that currently the Raven Ridge Ryzen 5 APU is the only format of the Ryzen that has been announced for the mobile market right?

·
Null
6,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit9206 View Post

How does an APU with an integrated GPU cost the same as a SOC with dedicated graphics?

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:

You also do realize that currently the Raven Ridge Ryzen 5 APU is the only format of the Ryzen that has been announced for the mobile market right?
To be completely honest, I'm not aware that any SKUs have been announced at all, other than the blanket family of Raven Ridge products.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,182 Posts
So what CPU level is needed to not bottleneck the 1070? That's my question here, not really power consumption (unless ofc if it's contributing to a bottleneck). Hypothetically if the APU in question will bottle neck a 1070 to 1060 levels, then there's be no reason to use a 1070. That's where my question is coming from.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts