Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
n exciting DX12 leak just made its way to the web. The leak showcases the CPU performance and threading model of DX12 compared to DX11.
Ever since Microsoft announced DirectX 12 back in March of this year both game developers and gamers have been anxious to see what this new API can do for them. Thankfully this leak gives us a very good idea of what to expect.
SOURCE

Good job AMD. Now we can extract full performance out of our systems. I for one am looking forward to a battle between DX12 and Mantle.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Finally. It's nice that MSFT are going for optimization rather than flashy graphical features this time around. I'm not saying that tessellation, AO and post processing effects aren't appreciated, it's just that the consumer usually appreciates better performance than graphical fidelity, and with DX12 both are going to be a lot easier to achieve.
thumb.gif

·
Performance is the bible
7,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Good job AMD. Now we can extract full performance out of our systems. I for one am looking forward to a battle between DX12 and Mantle.
If DX12 gives the same performance as mantle, mantle will die.
DX12 is backward compatible as well as there is no need to develop two sets of graphics API settings, which will save a lot of time for developers.
Also mantle, being close (unlike AMD's declarations its fully open), will limit the games AMD can push it to, because nvidia will push their own gameworks.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

DX12 is backward compatible as well as there is no need to develop two sets of graphics API settings, which will save a lot of time for developers.
Also mantle, being close (unlike AMD's declarations its fully open), will limit the games AMD can push it to, because nvidia will push their own gameworks.
I agree, DX12 could make Mantle obsolete at least until it becomes open to NVIDIA. If the advantages of Mantle are too small, developers will not bother to include it. Which is great. Mantle was primarily made to address an issue with DX, it worked, Microsoft had to compete and the consumer benefits from it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

i dont think so. as far as we know dx12 is an addition to mantle because its almost the same so it would be no problem for amd to support both except amd has control of mantle to add more features to games through mantle. they just have to make developers add mantle path but this shouldnt be hard because its similarity to dx12

·
Registered
244 Posts
"Currently AMD's Mantle has surpassed the adoption rate of DX11, DX10 and even DX9 so DX12 will have to put on quite a show to outshine that"

something that seems to be lost on many ..

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Do we at least have Mantle to thank for just how great DX12 could be?

·
PC Gamer
1,698 Posts
My 4 extra un-utilized cores are ready.

·
PC Gamer
1,698 Posts
Maybe they're referring to developer open-ness to use it as adoption? XD

Anyway, will DX12 be supported on RX 2xx cards and Nvidia's Pre-Kepler cards? Dats the most important question.

·
Banned
12,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydev16 View Post

Maybe they're referring to developer open-ness to use it as adoption? XD

Anyway, will DX12 be supported on RX 2xx cards and Nvidia's Pre-Kepler cards? Dats the most important question.
Even if that is the case, there has not been a single title announced or a single developer that has said ... "We are ONLY going to support Mantle, we will NOT support DirectX." So anyone saying that Mantle is adopted faster than DirectX is a lie.

I don't see why DirectX12 wouldn't be supported on future AMD cards. Current ones support DirectX, and given AMD's tiny market share and the fact that all games on the PC platform support DirectX, but only 6 support Mantle, and Mantle doesn't run on any Intel, nVidia, and only SOME of the AMD cards, AMD would be stupid (since they only make up 17% of the market share) not to support DirectX on their cards.

But beyond that, DirectX most likely will NOT be supported on Windows 8, and certainly not on Windows 7. So odds are it won't be a real factor until late 2015 or 2016.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
With such a massive diff over DX11, it is highly likely Microsoft will lock it away from windows 7.

·
PC Gamer
1,698 Posts
I'm talking about current cards like my R7 260X. Do you guys think they'll have DX12 support? Seems we had rumors they won't.

·
100+ fps
2,466 Posts
RIP Mantle

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydev16 View Post

I'm talking about current cards like my R7 260X. Do you guys think they'll have DX12 support? Seems we had rumors they won't.
According to Microsoft, everything from Fermi and up will support and for AMD, everything with GCN (7000 series) and up will support it.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I'm sure AMD was aware this would happen. It was probably discussed before work even started on Mantle.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I really wish people would educate themselves on topics first without typing on this forum. Mantle is going no where!!! AMD has stated that mantle will be integrated into the firepro line in the future because Mantle has some tricks it can do that we have not seen yet. That part is 100% true and was stated on AMDs mantle video released this 2nd half of the year.

·
Performance is the bible
7,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caswow View Post

i dont think so. as far as we know dx12 is an addition to mantle because its almost the same so it would be no problem for amd to support both except amd has control of mantle to add more features to games through mantle. they just have to make developers add mantle path but this shouldnt be hard because its similarity to dx12
DX12 API and mantle API are completely different.
This is not a copy-paste scenario. The developer will literally have to rewrite parts of the game engine to adopt it, as well as add new functionality on both over time when upgrading their engine.
Look at BF4. They first came out with DX11 only even though AMD had their chest pumped up with mantle support on day 1. Eventually (with lots of bugs) mantle came out on it.
So going from DX12 to mantle and back is not just "add mantle path" and thats it. Its several months of work as we have seen in BF4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post

I really wish people would educate themselves on topics first without typing on this forum. Mantle is going no where!!! AMD has stated that mantle will be integrated into the firepro line in the future because Mantle has some tricks it can do that we have not seen yet. That part is 100% true and was stated on AMDs mantle video released this 2nd half of the year.
100% true from AMD is about 50/50 chance to be scraped or hugely delayed along the way, according to every large announcement they made in the last 10 years.
Mantle on fireproof will mean nothing in general. GPGPU vs CUDA for firepro vs quadro is where the fight really is on those cards. Mantle will not change much. It might give CUDA like abilities to firepro for GPU rendering, but firepro already has its won api abilities where cuda is shared and works on both geforce and quadro, and new quadro cards and new NVAPI comes out all the time as well.

If mantle development will make no sense in the future (and "here to say" is a very bold statement, I guess your crystal ball said so?") for no gaming performance increase over DX12 (as its currently not available for linux or OS X, unlike nvapi which does currently available for libraries from nvidia), it will most likely be scraped as DX12 will stay as the only development point for game engines and mantle will be an afterthought.

But as we don't know DX12 performance or how good it will be made, how good it will support multi threading on top of the GPU or how better or worse or same it will be vs mantle, we still have to wait and see. A lot can change in a year.

·
there is no easy way out
3,255 Posts
Mantle haven't just pressurized Microsoft as an efficient API. Mantle also supports Windows Vista, Windows 7 and 8.1.
If Microsoft do not support DirectX12 in those OS as well, then Mantle is not going anywhere. We will continue to see DX11.x + Mantle games.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts