Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intel 10nm Sunny Cove ’10th Gen Ice Lake’ ES CPU Single-Core Performance Leaks Out, On Par With A 5.3 GHz 9700K at Just 3.7 GHz – Intel Comet Lake & AMD Ryzen 3000 Results Leaked Too

Intel’s 10nm Sunny Cove has yet to be seen in action, well at least on consumer end products since they just started shipping earlier last month. While we have seen public demos, it looks like alleged results from engineering samples based around the Sunny Cove architecture, Ice Lake, have been leaked in CPU-z along with Intel’s Comet Lake and AMD Ryzen 3000 processors too.

Intel’s 10th Gen Ice Lake CPUs With Sunny Cove Cores Performance Leaked, Massive IPC Gains Over Skylake Architecture – Several Intel Comet Lake &AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs Single-Core Perf Unveiled Too
During the announcement of their 10nm Sunny Cove architecture at Computex, Intel unveiled that they have achieved an 18% IPC improvement with some workloads showing an IPC improvement of up to 40% over Skylake architecture. Now like AMD’s claim of 15% IPC improvement, there are no independent sources to confirm Intel’s figures of 18% IPC uplift so we have to wait till both chip makers launch their respective products in the market so reviewers can fact check their claims.

more.....

https://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-ice-lake-sunny-cove-14nm-comet-lake-amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-z-benchmark-leak/
rumors of intel 10 nm

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,126 Posts
Saw this last night, good time for a "leak" now that Ryzen 7nm is on everyones mind. Too bad it's from WCCFTech.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Ewwww WCCF....

While we wait for these products to launch, a Chinese forum member has posted what seems to be several AMD and Intel chips along wi...
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Pass.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder why the clock speeds are so low?

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
Most likely the reason we won't be seeing Ice Lake desktop skus any time soon. We've saw the same low clock speeds when Intel's first 14nm chips were out(Broadwell)

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,126 Posts
Most likely the reason we won't be seeing Ice Lake desktop skus any time soon. We've saw the same low clock speeds when Intel's first 14nm chips were out(Broadwell)

If a 3.7 10nm is already beating a 5.2 14nm I wouldn't think that's why they're not releasing them. Intel went from 4.0Ghz Pentium 4s to 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duos back in the day. I'd imagine the problem is yield.

·
Overclocker
11,339 Posts
AMD has a window to shine, when Intel changes architecture it's likely to get rough for AMD again. Problem is Intel was sleeping and locked their advancement in arch. to advancement in process, right now they've gotten rid off this old stupid "lock" that they've bound themselves by, they can get more competitive.

·
Spaghetti
1,130 Posts
If a 3.7 10nm is already beating a 5.2 14nm I wouldn't think that's why they're not releasing them. Intel went from 4.0Ghz Pentium 4s to 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duos back in the day. I'd imagine the problem is yield.
Unless their strategy is changed, Intel still has Comet Lake to release, followed by Ice Lake.

My understanding is that no 10nm Desktop processor is coming from intel until late 2021. The Dies will be saved first for mobile, followed by the server market, and finally for the mainstream desktop. This is going to be a while, and if Zen2+ or Zen3 is out with no competition from Team Blue, expect insane prices.

·
Registered
675 Posts
even if/when Intel will be back with new Gen for desktop- the PC market will be flooded with Ryzen 1000/2000/3000 and also AMD's chiplet design much cheaper to make then monolithic CPU, so they will start price war and we gonna enjoy it :).

Depending how well Epyc will sell- Intel will use every 10nm wafers for Servers and Mobile since they are most important for them, they need to compete with 64C Romes + by then EPYC will be shipping based on Zen 3.0.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,514 Posts
That difference in clocks vs IPC is most probably showing Sunny Cove's best case scenario, where it performs 40% better than Skylake / Kaby Lake / Coffee Lake / Whiskey Lake.

The problem is that on average, per Intel's own official statements, the average IPC gain is 18%.

The other problem is that per Intel's own official statements, 10nm+, which is the node being used to make mobile Ice Lake, can't clock as high as 14nm++. And we can see that, as they announced a max of 4.1 Ghz Boost, whereas just this year they launched a Whiskey Lake based 15w mobile CPU with a 4.8 Ghz boost, the i7-8665U. And from what I recall, the fastest SKU that they've announced so far only turbos to 3.9 Ghz, not even 4.1 Ghz.

And finally, the other problem is that not only is it mobile up to 28w, it only goes to 4C/8T. None of this allows them to have competitive desktop SKUs and when it comes to mobile, it will be a draw in some cases, and a slight win in others, but nothing outstanding.

They have been talking a lot about decoupling the process from the architecture, so who knows maybe if 10nm++ or 7nm isn't doable in time, maybe they can put Ice Lake on 14nm++ for desktop parts to buy some time. The TDP will be higher most probably, though.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
GeekBench shows Ice Lake-U has a 17% increase from the laptops compared to Skylake based mobile chips.

Edit: Here's the result: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13476044
If true then great (well prices remain to be seen). This is the kind of innovation I expect to see from Intel on a regular basis going forward. None of this 3-5% IPC increase for the otherwise same old crap year after year.

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
Early ES are low ghz usually. They aren't binned and tested to higher speeds, just to make sure they work, so intel can ship them to other manufacturers to make supporting hardware and test motherboards, test memory compatibility etc.

·
Zen
1,107 Posts
If true then great (well prices remain to be seen). This is the kind of innovation I expect to see from Intel on a regular basis going forward. None of this 3-5% IPC increase for the otherwise same old crap year after year.
Well, there was nothing Intel could do since their architecture was tied to the node and they were stuck with 14nm for a long time. It is more like they were forced into that position.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Competition forces innovation. ;)

More like Intel didn't want to innovate since there was no competition.

·
Zen
1,107 Posts
Competition forces innovation. ;)

More like Intel didn't want to innovate since there was no competition.
ARM is far bigger threat than anything Intel has faced in last 20 years.
Well, innovation was still there, just wasn't accessible and affordable for consumers lol. I don't think Intel intentionally put 10nm on backburner for 5 years. Sunny Cove would have been 2018 product if they didn't have 10nm troubles.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
ARM is far bigger threat than anything Intel has faced in last 20 years.
Well, innovation was still there, just wasn't accessible and affordable for consumers lol. I don't think Intel intentionally put 10nm on backburner for 5 years. Sunny Cove would have been 2018 product if they didn't have 10nm troubles.
Kinda defeats the whole point then LOL.

Yes I'm aware their innovation was mostly in the mobile space and related to power efficiency. But you gotta admit advances on the desktop side has been sorely lacking since Sandy Bridge, mainly because they didn't have to do anything after AMD fell so far behind with their Bulldozer epic fail.

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,430 Posts
not getting my hopes up but :D

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,301 Posts
14nm wasn't much slower. The atoms were slightly faster and the desktop Broadwell was analogous to Crystalwell, not Haswell. Crystalwell has the extra memory controller and L3 layout and edram like Broadwell-c and also clocked slower than Haswell: www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-4980HQ Mobile processor.html

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
They have been talking a lot about decoupling the process from the architecture, so who knows maybe if 10nm++ or 7nm isn't doable in time, maybe they can put Ice Lake on 14nm++ for desktop parts to buy some time. The TDP will be higher most probably, though.
I'm not sure if they can. One reason they were having issues going to 10nm but TSMC didn't was because TSMC kept using a gold substrate or path-trace layer (some sort of layer) while Intel was moving to cobalt which is much harder to make a good electrical connection or bond to. Why? Intel obviously sees enough pros to outweigh the cons...one con being the hold up of months of new CPU sales all around the board and giving up the leader position for a while.

Sure Intel stuck with 14nm, why on earth would you attempt full production on 10nm and a new arch when you can still sell millions of chips to the masses without doing that? They actually had to retrofit 10nm production back to 14nm because they were making less than demand and you're always better off getting paid for something that's paid for vs something that's not. AMD will likely have Intel for a year or so while Intel is perfecting the process but once they do I imagine we'll see a 20-50% bump in performance over Coffee Lake and Intel will be back on it's 5-10% yearly tick tock scale unless AMD is always stepping over the top.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts