Overclock.net banner

[WCCF] NVIDIA’s 16-Pin Connector/RTX 4090 Burns/Melts Cable & Plug (Cause Idenfitied by Igor Labs)

13139 277

His PC

Redditor, u/reggie_gakil, posted on the NVIDIA subreddit a picture of the NVIDIA 16-pin connector all burned up. The connector was powering his brand-new GeForce RTX 4090 (custom model). The pictures show that both the power adapter which includes a 16-pin to 4 x 8-pin plug and the power connector on the PCB ended up in flames and melted. The graphics card was the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC.

Edit: Update, a second report has been posted.
Second issue confirmed, posted on nvidia's reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/yc6g3u/_/itmjt9d

This cable came pre-bent

Here is the cable taken out of the gpu. As you can see it has the same bend orientation as out of box.

As you can see here the cable came purchased with a bend horizontally.

I wonder if the way the cables are bent is exacerbating the issue?

EDIT:
Cause Identified by Igor Labs

Edit:

Dear PCI-SIG Member,
Please be advised that PCI-SIG has become aware that some implementations of the 12VHPWR connectors and assemblies have demonstrated thermal variance, which could result in safety issues under certain conditions. Although PCI-SIG specifications provide necessary information for interoperability, they do not attempt to encompass all aspects of proper design, relying on numerous industry best-known methods and standard design practices. As the PCI-SIG workgroups include many knowledgeable experts in the field of connector and system design, they will be looking at the information available about this industry issue and assisting in any resolution to whatever extent is appropriate.
As more details emerge, PCI-SIG may provide further updates. In the meantime, we recommend members work closely with their connector vendors and exercise due diligence in using high-power connections, particularly where safety concerns may exist.
Thank You,
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Good for nvidia

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,925 Posts
Connector is too flimsy and power is too dense.
It could be worse if they used an ethernet cable instead, but really Nvidia should just be honest and have 4 relatively sturdy 8 pin PCIe connectors. Even if that makes the GPU look like it sometimes uses a lot of power. AIB's can have 5 or 6. On a 4 slot card.

You aren't fooling anybody with a dainty power connector if you have a GPU that is too large to fit in the average case. That's like having a 7 gallon gas tank on a truck that is too large to fit in the average garage. "Filled it up for 30 bucks"

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou

·
WaterCooler
5,471 Posts
Connector is too flimsy and power is too dense.
It could be worse if they used an ethernet cable instead, but really Nvidia should just be honest and have 4 relatively sturdy 8 pin PCIe connectors. Even if that makes the GPU look like it sometimes uses a lot of power. AIB's can have 5 or 6. On a 4 slot card.

You aren't fooling anybody with a dainty power connector if you have a GPU that is too large to fit in the average case. That's like having a 7 gallon gas tank on a truck that is too large to fit in the average garage. "Filled it up for 30 bucks"
I mean, I like the idea of a new standard that consolidates how many PCIe connectors needed. 4 or more 8-pins will also be a ton of real estate on the PCB.

That said, this definitely looks like there are more things to iron out here and frankly I am surprised they went with such small pins. Dainty indeed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those connectors scare the crap outta me... I've been seriously considering soldering the 3x 8-pin fanout directly to the PCB on my 3090Ti even before folks were posting about 4090s melting.

In the "real world" (ie any sort of actual power electrics/electronics outside of the fever dream land that's PC hardware) there's no way such a connector fed with such wire cross-section would be seen as an acceptable solution for up to 50A with little to no rigid installation rules- I guess NV feels they can bend engineering best practices, materials science, and possibly Ohms law itself... a bold move!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I wonder if its the adaptor's fault or the fact that its a Gigabyte card.

·
PC Evangelist
48,732 Posts
Scared to use my card. Going to keep at 450w limit until we get more info on this from Nvidia. Hopefully AMD still using older style.

·
waifu for lifu
13,700 Posts
Scared to use my card. Going to keep at 450w limit until we get more info on this from Nvidia. Hopefully AMD still using older style.
I'm wondering that myself.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I was thinking to hold out for the TI versions and see if prices come down, and if not wait for next gen, but how much power is a 4090 Ti going to need?

3080 Ti is keeping me above 60 FPS in most modern games at 4K which is good enough.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,999 Posts
They should have just used an external power brick for the RTX4090 like voodoo did for the 6000. :)

• Rep+
Reactions: PatRaceTin

·
PC Evangelist
48,732 Posts
Exactly my thoughts as soon as I read Gigabyte it all made sense to me.
Sadly ASUS TUF same issue so probably nothing to do with the board.

• Wow
Reactions: paulerxx1

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I wonder if its the adaptor's fault or the fact that its a Gigabyte card.
Guess we'll find out if FE cards are having the same problems.

edit: Frankly, nVidia have a bit of a history of doing this anyway. The Ampere-gen Quadro RTX A6000 has a single 8-pin connector on the card. Which does not fit 8-pin PCI-E connectors. It's a custom pinout (and each pin block is shaped differently) that only works with the adaptor which is included with the card - and which you need to plug two 8-pin PCI-E connectors into. And those cards do suck ~300W through that single 8-pin.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Something about the laws of physics gives me the sense this connector was a bad idea. Having to feed all that juice through that single connector. I get trying to make it a more simplistic design vrs having 4 8 pin plugs....or you know maybe nvidia could try and set more realistic power targets instead of making nuclear reactor space heater just to chase down 5% performance.

The crown comes at a cost I guess and nvidia will do literally anything to achieve it.

·
waifu for lifu
13,700 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: paulerxx1

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Kinda means the current adapters are off the table, if you ask me. Way too bulky and rigid at the connector.

Need individually sleeved wires and high quality flexible insulation, so that the wires can start to bend immediately leaving the connector.
Or a right angle connector.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Wire thickness, insulation types, right angle connectors and crap wont change the fact your dumping a ton of current through a limited amount of pins that are relatively small. Any one with any kind of electronic knowledge will tell you that's a very bad thing.

When designing electronics in general you want to overspec traces, components and connectors for a reason. It removes the chance that something could go wrong. If it's a small limited run then maybe would could get away with a lower spec but consumer grade products that pull as much power as these cards, 50A or more over 12v DC, hell no, over spec the crap out of the connectors especially because that'll be the biggest point of failure.

Buildzoid is right. These connectors are an utterly stupid, pointless thing and shouldn't exist. Multiple 6 & 8 pins can safely supply more current than these 12 pins ever will be able to. Nvidia are just asking for these kinds of problems especially when PSU manufactures start adding them and cheaping out on connectors and cables.

If we really need different connectors we have far better options than what Nvidia can come up with. Nvidia shouldn't be allowed to dictate what the new "standard" is considering they have a history of making stupid decisions on these kinds of things.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.