Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
:)
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

"Just days after the “Ampere” code-name surfaced, we have another one, and this time from a very credible source: Reuters. What is particularly interesting is that this news comes just around the time the Ampere codename leaked out putting things into a very interesting fray of rumor and speculation. Does this mean that the ‘Ampere’ news was wrong, or that its a different GPU entirely? Well, no one except NVIDIA really knows."

"Reuters: NVIDIA launching ‘Turing’ GPU next month
We had already heard that NVIDIA would be launching a brand new next generation graphics architecture in the coming month thanks to the Ampere leak (regardless of what you choose to call it). That said, there’s not much to this story except speculation so let this serve as the obvious disclaimer.

According to Reuters, A brand new NVIDIA Turing GPU is launching sometime next month. This means that either NVIDIA is undergoing a massive rebranding campaign or that Volta will not be making it to the consumer side of things. This itself has interesting implications because it could mean a couple of things: anywhere from NVIDIA optimizing the architecture further to yield concerns."

Source

-

·
Some Guy
714 Posts
Honestly, I think we're looking at two seperate architectures. One for consumers and one for compute/etc.
AMDs CEO said herself that they probably will go down that route in the future. So maybe Nvidia already did?

Also I heard/read from one of the tech journalists that they knew the arch name and doubted that "Ampere" was the final name.
Though they couldn't say anything more due to NDA.

·
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I think we're looking at two seperate architectures. One for consumers and one for compute/etc.
AMDs CEO said herself that they probably will go down that route in the future. So maybe Nvidia already did?

Also I heard/read from one of the tech journalists that they knew the arch name and doubted that "Ampere" was the final name.
Think you might be right about that, was also the rumours about GA104 (Ampere) as GTX 2070/2080 launching in April. So if that is true, then perhaps Turing will be for professional use only?
Will be interesting to see what will come.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

That's the easiest way to keep geforce cards out of data centers.

One of these may also just be a refresh. Nvidia and AMD have both been known to engage in refreshes when competition is light or there isn't a new arch available.

·
Hardware Maniac
3,332 Posts
Do that mean lower price so i can get something decent like a 2060 for my htpc uh

·
waifu for lifu
11,324 Posts
A 'normal' gpu launch is already hectic as is...I can't imagine what this one will be like. It used to be AMD vs. Nvidia, now its gamers vs miners. Unless the new 1180 squarely beats the current Ti, I'll be on the sidelines getting my popcorn ready. Bring. It. On. :gunner2: :gunner:

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Think you might be right about that, was also the rumours about GA104 (Ampere) as GTX 2070/2080 launching in April. So if that is true, then perhaps Turing will be for professional use only?
Will be interesting to see what will come.
So NV is ignoring the 2nd digit and increasing the 1st digit for next gen? 1180, 1170 makes more sense to me.

·
PC Enthusiast
718 Posts
The sooner the better. My 780 Ti has served me well but I'm ready to upgrade to 2018 tech.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So between Ampere and Turing, could one be the code-name and the other be the actual architecture name?
Is one for workstation and the other for gaming?
Will Gauss get a gpu named after him?

Tune in next time to find out!

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Wonder if Turning could be the next TITAN with Ampere being the rest of the lineup.
Maybe a TITAN Turning leading the march for the Datacentres, but with desktop use whereas the normal Ampere rang will be squarely desktop focused.
NV normally lead a lineup with a TITAN launch.

Pricing will be $1500 USD is my guess for the next Gaming focused TITAN.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Wonder if Turning could be the next TITAN with Ampere being the rest of the lineup.
Maybe a TITAN Turning leading the march for the Datacentres, but with desktop use whereas the normal Ampere rang will be squarely desktop focused.
NV normally lead a lineup with a TITAN launch.

Pricing will be $1500 USD is my guess for the next Gaming focused TITAN.
I don't buy it - why have a different codename for the titan?

All we know for sure is that the consumer cards are going to be smaller dies and won't use HBM2.

·
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So NV is ignoring the 2nd digit and increasing the 1st digit for next gen? 1180, 1170 makes more sense to me.
That is still to be confirmed, all is just rumours still. As example, went from GTX 700 series to 900, where it would be more logical with 800. Both Nvidia and AMD has had a long story with weird/illogical naming, so what can we do other than hope that the product is what we are looking for no matter the name of said product.

All we know for sure is that the consumer cards are going to be smaller dies and won't use HBM2.
Is it not still rumours or "leaks" only? Who knows what will be until we get actual proof. Until then it is all speculation.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
That is still to be confirmed, all is just rumours still. As example, went from GTX 700 series to 900, where it would be more logical with 800. Both Nvidia and AMD has had a long story with weird/illogical naming, so what can we do other than hope that the product is what we are looking for no matter the name of said product.

Is it not still rumours or "leaks" only? Who knows what will be until we get actual proof. Until then it is all speculation.
It costs almost a grand to make a GV100 card. Smaller die and no hbm2 are guaranteed unless the new cards cost 250-500 more than their Pascal counterparts.

AMD went with HBM2 because they didn't have the budget for two architectures. Nvidia doesn't have that problem.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
This one sounds like it probably has to do more with AI and machine learning.

Turing is probably named after Alan Turing who's known for the Turing Test. Which is basically a test to see if a machine can exhibit intelligent behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

Probably not a gaming GPU ;)

·
Administrator
64,325 Posts
I would guess like others that Turing may be the Pro Cards/Mining Cards in order to give a clear distinction from the gaming variants. Will be interesting to see what comes out. I will be happy with my 1080Ti SLI for a while to come though as I would wait for the next gen TI variants with some AIB enhancements before jumping boats.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
Very fitting name.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,928 Posts
my 980ti is running out of steam at 3440x1440 on DCS 2.5

I could really use an upgrade. Though I'm probably going to sit tight for another year with it and my 5820k. Prices would have to come WAY down for me to jump. I wonder what AMD is doing this year. Is NAVI coming this year?

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
This one sounds like it probably has to do more with AI and machine learning.

Turing is probably named after Alan Turing who's known for the Turing Test. Which is basically a test to see if a machine can exhibit intelligent behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

Probably not a gaming GPU ;)
They name all of their architectures after scientists, though, like Maxwell, Pascal, and Volta. So being named after Turing doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be gaming GPUs with that architecture.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts