Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-alleged...e-touts-breakthrough-performance-on-next-gen/

This would mark the first time NVIDIA would employ an open air cooling design in any of its Founder’s Edition graphics cards. It could indicate that the new 20 series flagship might have a little more of an appetite for power than the GTX 1080 Ti, requiring a more aggressive cooling solution to keep running nice and cool.
Next up we have a statement from Galax, this one is not a rumor folks it’s as official as it gets. A company rep confirmed that we will see the new series by September and described the new series as having “breakthrough” performance, so get ready for something quite special.
From Galax company rep:
The performance will certainly have a breakthrough growth, and will support the most advanced NVIDIA ray tracing technology.
"Breakthrough" performance. Interesting.

·
Overclocker
2,726 Posts
I certainly hope that is the case. No holding back milking, just blow away the competition.

And especially since Intel appears to be making a consumer GPU, Nvidia might as well just blow everyone out of the water before they have a chance. They don't want to get caught with their pants down like Intel just did with Ryzen.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
The performance will certainly have a breakthrough growth, and will support the most advanced NVIDIA ray tracing technology.

With the way that is phrased, it could mean anything. Is it a general performance breakthrough or is it related to raytracing tech? Could it be related to Tensor cores perhaps being included? Neither of those two should translate into sizeable performance gains in the near future for games, which is a GPUs normal lifetime, except for a game here and there that make some limited use of it, to get people excited. In other words, it could be nothing more than summer infused hype words.

Now, what a performance breakthrough means, in my opinion, is if we get x80 Ti performance levels right from the start, but in the x80 segment and price range. Now that would be a leap forward. That would mean that the 2080 would be at least 50%, ideally 60% faster than the 1080 Ti. And then of course next year on 7nm they would launch the actual Ti and add at least 20% more to that figure, probably more if they were to continue to make leaps and take advantage of the new process.

Now will they? They are in the lead and AMD is far behind. On the other hand they are also seeing what a complacent attitude, as was the case with Intel in the CPU department, can do long-term and how the crowd can start to turn on you. Then, Intel is entering the GPU market, so distancing themselves from Intel as fast as possible is a good idea, AMD is not the only competitor that they have to worry about and keep a warm and fuzzy duopoly, where they lead.

I want to see a performance breakthrough, have the same feeling as with CPUs, but how would AMD respond? A GTX 2060 would be much faster even against a 345w liquid cooled Vega 64 most likely if there was indeed a breakthrough, that would run AMD's desktop graphics business into the ground. Then again, even if the gains aren't so pronounced, AMD's GPU division will be in a bad shape anyway, so why wouldn't Nvidia go all out anyway, anticipating what Intel can do?

So, the question is, does Nvidia actually have the incentive to play a serious card game right now or will they bid their time and see how things shape up with Intel's product development, how AMD recovers their GPU division and wait for next year with the new 7nm process allowing for more things to be done?

·
Registered
819 Posts
"breakthrough" performance eh? 4K144Hz from the GX106 die or go home

·
Registered
227 Posts
cant wait to buy 2 in SLI

·
Registered
456 Posts
cant wait to buy 2 in SLI
I think the dual fan is yet just another clue that SLI may officially be dead starting this generation. I was previously a 4 way SLI user and now a single / SLI user currently so I’m not biased against SLI. Just some hints/clues on the top of my head:

-Dual fan instead of single blower fan: definitely not ideal/sometimes too restrictive in SLI setups especially if GPU's are sandwich stacked versus blower

-No SLI on previous Generation Titan V: yes I know it wasn't specifically a gamer card

-New PCB leaked screenshots not having traditional SLI fingers: could end up just like the Titan V

-3 & 4 way SLI officially dead as of this generation

-DX12 games having little to no SLI support versus DX11 titles: needing to rely on developers more for SLI performance which we know never happens

-The future: We should be getting smaller computers needing less GPU's/components/space overtime, not the other way around, if PC doesn't innovate it's going to die off eventually and get replaced by tablets. This generation could easily just go MATX boards for "big" systems and ITX boards for "normal" systems if only 1 GPU was allowed (for gaming at least).

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Starting to think my initial theory could be likely....

Basically it could be a Pascal Generation refresh, and they are pushing the limits of the architecture hence why they are hot and need dual fans on a reference card. I cannot see the Breakthrough in Performance over existing Pascal. The leap from Maxwell to Pascal was pretty hefty, so I think it’s a bit optimistic to expect anything breakthrough....

Nvlink is also a bit of a pipe dream, sure we all want to see it. But it’s far too expensive for the consumer market.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
-The future: We should be getting smaller computers needing less GPU's/components/space overtime, not the other way around, if PC doesn't innovate it's going to die off eventually and get replaced by tablets. This generation could easily just go MATX boards for "big" systems and ITX boards for "normal" systems if only 1 GPU was allowed (for gaming at least).
Tablets can't have 150 W power consumption. And in fact that's what Intel thought, they when they see what margins are in tablet space, Intel quickly moved best engineers back to HEDP and normal CPUs, to not lose its normal customer base.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's not breakthrough when last 80 class gpu was released well over 2 years ago. Not long ago we got 30-40% performance boost almost every year. This would have to be twice as fast as 1080 to call it breakthrough. BS

·
4k Enthusiast
3,930 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
46,984 Posts
Starting to think my initial theory could be likely....

Basically it could be a Pascal Generation refresh, and they are pushing the limits of the architecture hence why they are hot and need dual fans on a reference card. I cannot see the Breakthrough in Performance over existing Pascal. The leap from Maxwell to Pascal was pretty hefty, so I think it’s a bit optimistic to expect anything breakthrough....

Nvlink is also a bit of a pipe dream, sure we all want to see it. But it’s far too expensive for the consumer market.
That would be pretty bad for 2.5 years of waiting.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think the dual fan is yet just another clue that SLI may officially be dead starting this generation. I was previously a 4 way SLI user and now a single / SLI user currently so I’m not biased against SLI. Just some hints/clues on the top of my head:

-Dual fan instead of single blower fan: definitely not ideal/sometimes too restrictive in SLI setups especially if GPU's are sandwich stacked versus blower

-No SLI on previous Generation Titan V: yes I know it wasn't specifically a gamer card

-New PCB leaked screenshots not having traditional SLI fingers: could end up just like the Titan V

-DX12 games having little to no SLI support versus DX11 titles: needing to rely on developers more for SLI performance which we know never happens

very true points indeed

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I'd love to see Nvidia releasing some competitive reference designs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: As long as GPU prices stay at the ridiculous levels they are now, I will not buy from Retailers ever again.
Dumping money into a borked middle-man system accomplishes nothing. Nvidia at least is actually spending billions of dollars on R&D.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

1. Allways use custom watercooling when doing sli.
2.New "sli finger" is NvLink. Means 2 cards become one big card.
3. DX12 sli is working just in a few games, like Tombraider, and Battlefield (not very good). Thank god DX11 works great with no loss in quality compared to dx12.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bet "breakthrough" means GTX 1080 + 50% and that's how they will market it

... which is really just 1080 Ti + 11%

This is radically misleading marketing unless they have something that beats the 1080 Ti by at least 33%, which is hard to imagine from the midrange chip.
Well since the new Titan RTX will be +50% from the 1080 Ti (i.e., Titan V CEO Edition with 128 ROP and 800GB/s memory bandwidth), the 2080 Ti will probably be just a rebadged Titan V, just like last gen 1080 Ti was just a rebadged Titan X.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts