Overclock.net banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
i yet seen a good DLSS example.. links above doesnt show anything.. whenyou actually play a game you wont see any difference at all.. That small gain in fps you can get by simple changing one setting under game graphic setting. Feels like a gimmick as usual with nvidia.
So, it looks the same to you, but DLSS has much better framerate?

Yup. Terrible gimmick. :rolleyes:

·
sudo apt install sl
7,760 Posts
i yet seen a good DLSS example.. links above doesnt show anything.. whenyou actually play a game you wont see any difference at all.. That small gain in fps you can get by simple changing one setting under game graphic setting. Feels like a gimmick as usual with nvidia.
Deliver Us the Moon and Death Stranding are great examples of DLSS. You'll notice in both objects provide more detail than TAA. Only feels like a gimmick to those that can't enjoy it.

·
Expert pin bender
2,248 Posts
I already pointed out edge artifacts in motion on a DF video about DLSS in a previous post on here. It is not better than native to me. Your constant fanfare saying it is doesn't persuade me when I saw it with my own eyes.

DLSS really makes no sense to me in a vacuum. If you want better graphics adjust it so. If you want FPS then adjust resolution/settings down for fps. Competitive gamers aren't trying to have best image quality.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
I already pointed out edge artifacts in motion on a DF video about DLSS in a previous post on here. It is not better than native to me. Your constant fanfare saying it is doesn't persuade me when I saw it with my own eyes.

DLSS really makes no sense to me in a vacuum. If you want better graphics adjust it so. If you want FPS then adjust resolution/settings down for fps. Competitive gamers aren't trying to have best image quality.
Your solution, to avoid those 4x zoom artifacts, would be to either have the aliasing of native or the blur from widespread solutions such as TAA.

You would, then, look at the lower framerate on the top right corner, observe different artifacts altogether, and say to yourself "yup, this is fine."

Luckily, most users and reviewers are not basing their opinion on 4x zoom stills of in-game motion and on the fact that green man bad, so they get to enjoy DLSS for what it really is: the absolute best compromise between presentation and performance that, in certain scenarios, resolves edges even better than native.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,760 Posts

Native resolution definitely doesn't look better due to jagged lines which only anti-aliasing can get rid of. DLSS 2.0 looks better and provides more detail than TAA, SMAA is the best and I will always use it if I can.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,491 Posts
Control is the only game I have tried DLSS with, but I can't decide if that game looks good or not (regardless of DLSS). Sometimes it looks amazing and sometimes it looks terrible, sort of like a youtube video thats bouncing back and forth between 4k and 480p, makes it really hard to evaluate anything. There is a noticeable performance improvement if I use the 1440p scaled to 4k DLSS setting vs. native 4k.

I am unsure if it looks better, the same, or worse. I don't really care either way because I prefer to render native and I prefer 1440p to 4k. I'm sure all of it is really important to some users but I am far more interested in a better performing graphics card than better performing software/driver/whateverdlssis. Feels too much like the TV's that said "120hz" but it was really 60hz with some sort of trickery.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
Control is the only game I have tried DLSS with, but I can't decide if that game looks good or not (regardless of DLSS). Sometimes it looks amazing and sometimes it looks terrible, sort of like a youtube video thats bouncing back and forth between 4k and 480p, makes it really hard to evaluate anything. There is a noticeable performance improvement if I use the 1440p scaled to 4k DLSS setting vs. native 4k.

I am unsure if it looks better, the same, or worse. I don't really care either way because I prefer to render native and I prefer 1440p to 4k. I'm sure all of it is really important to some users but I am far more interested in a better performing graphics card than better performing software/driver/whateverdlssis. Feels too much like the TV's that said "120hz" but it was really 60hz with some sort of trickery.
I reinstalled Control the other day to see it maxed out with my 3080. Even without using DLSS, I agree some parts look amazing and others look like garbage. I had more fun looking at the reflections than I did actually playing the game.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,491 Posts
The reflections messed with me many times, trying to walk through a window thinking it was a doorway. I felt like the room I was in looked sharper through the reflection than it did if I turned around and looked at it without the reflection. If the reflections in Control are ray traced then ray traced reflections are still a long ways away from being realistic, even if they are more accurate.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,760 Posts
The reflections messed with me many times, trying to walk through a window thinking it was a doorway. I felt like the room I was in looked sharper through the reflection than it did if I turned around and looked at it without the reflection. If the reflections in Control are ray traced then ray traced reflections are still a long ways away from being realistic, even if they are more accurate.
Probably due to the denoising AI, it's probably trying to replicate an exact image like DLSS.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
I own a Radeon VII and by default the TDP is 250w and can be increased by 20% in settings. While the TGP is 300w unless modified via PP.
I have a VII in a eGPU box connected to a mac.
It pulls 340w+ off the wall at full load using a 85%+ PSU. So I have big doubt about that 250W claim, unless it was undevolted.
And no, it doesn't charge anything.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,760 Posts
I have a VII in a eGPU box connected to a mac.
It pulls 340w+ off the wall at full load using a 85%+ PSU. So I have big doubt about that 250W claim, unless it was undevolted.
And no, it doesn't charge anything.
I'm referring to the TDP not actual power draw. The number that's set by default in the bios is 250w until a user increases it to the TGP to 300w by moving the PL slider to +20%. Just like the RX Vega 64 LC TDP is set to 264w by default with a TGP of 375w. Just like my Titan is set to 280w and can be increased to 320w without touching the PP or shunt modding.

RX 5700 XT is 150w by default and can be increased to 225w. Unlike nVidia, AMD advertises the TBP allowed by the bios.

·
Registered
840 Posts
So, it looks the same to you, but DLSS has much better framerate?

Yup. Terrible gimmick. :rolleyes:
DLSS renders the image at less than native and then upscales. The better FPS comes from that. In the end, it's up to the user. Upscaling will always have limits since you fill in missing information during the upscaling process, and that will never be perfect, but if you can't render at native at high enough FPS then it's a good compromise.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
DLSS renders the image at less than native and then upscales. The better FPS comes from that. In the end, it's up to the user. Upscaling will always have limits since you fill in missing information during the upscaling process, and that will never be perfect, but if you can't render at native at high enough FPS then it's a good compromise.
Yes, I know what DLSS is. The key difference between DLSS and other upscaling methods that were commonplace before is the machine learning part, which is more than consequential.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts