Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 499 Posts

·
there is no easy way out
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
In quite a shocking turn of events AMD's RX Vega 64 manages to outpace NVIDIA's GTX 1080 Ti by up to 23% in the upcoming DirectX 12 ready Forza 7. The racing game officially debuts next Tuesday, 3rd of October on PC but folks over at ComputerBase.de managed to get their hands on it early to run their usual graphics performance tests and the results were surprising to say the least. So without any further ado let's dig into the numbers.
Source

·
Ooh, custom titles :D
1,247 Posts
Consoles use AMD, so just awesome optimization probably.

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Interesting to see how the gap diminishes completely as resolution is increased but does maintain better minimums throughout...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Vega 56 is quite good. Still $100 too much.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

blame miners

·
Null
6,330 Posts
Probably less to do with optimization and the characteristics of the game. Pretty sure forza is known for being shader intensive, so that might be it. GCN has a weak front end (processing vertices, primitives, etc.) but strong compute for shading

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post

blame miners
I will blame the GTX 1070Ti soon because at $429, the AMD Vega needs to be at $399. I'm a customer at that price.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Looks to be CPU bound, seeing how close the 1080/1080 TI are.

Which is interesting, as AMD had more driver overhead in DX11.

·
!
9,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

Nobody plays this game, this is the motorcycle game in which the most fun thing in the game is crashing, right?
I might care when the fine wine applies to more titles that I'd actually play.
No this is a very popular sim (ish) car racing game that has had great success on Xbox and is arguably the premier sim (ish) racing game today. Forza Motorsport 7 is the first full release of the series on PC after a small demo like game Forza Motorsport 6: Apex and the even more arcade free-roam version Forza Horizon 3 were released last year. This may not be your cup of tea if you don't like racing games or hate windows store or UWP only games (which this is), but this is absolutely a big important PC game.

• Rep+
Reactions: sumitlian

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
This games needs way better optimizations for Nvidia.

Just look at the performance difference between the gtx 1080 and gtx 1080 ti at 1080p and 1440p. There is only a 5 or 7 percent difference between the two.

Also, look at the performance loss between resolutions of the gtx 1080 ti. There is only a 7% drop between 1080p and 1440p and between 1440 and 4k, only 12% drop.

Considering there is only an 18.4% loss in performance going between going from 1080p to 4k in the gtx 1080 ti, there are obviously better optimizations needed on Nvidia side.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Misleading title.

GTX 1080 Ti performed better in 4K

The 1080p and 1440p benchmarks are pointless. All the high-end card got over 100fps. Enjoy your extra fps on vega when the game is already over 100fps on GTX 1080

Also, Forza 7 is just one game

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

GTX 1080 = faster performance overall + free game + lower power consumption.

In forza 7, the GTX 1080 performed on par with vega 56 in 4K and both get over 60fps all the time. 1080p and 1440p are useless in this game, the fps is already too high on nvidia, make no difference in real world if AMD get higher fps when you already getting 100fps on GTX 1080

·
Null
6,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Looks to be CPU bound, seeing how close the 1080/1080 TI are.

Which is interesting, as AMD had more driver overhead in DX11.
It's probably bound by scheduling or something. The 1080ti only has about 20% higher compute in the first place, so it's not a huge difference to begin with

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erocker View Post

Neat! If Forza was the only game I play, I might consider buying a Vega, overpriced by 150 bucks.
GTX 1080 get over 60fps all time on 4K anyway

1440p/1080 gets ~100fps (slower than vega 56 at those resolution but who cares when you get 100fps ?!)

It won't make difference even if vega is faster.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,459 Posts
Still needs optimization. The worst frame rate drop I've seen due to lack of ram with my 780tis at 4k was nowhere near the factor of 5 that hit the FuryX.

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTesla1856 View Post

Consoles use AMD, so just awesome optimization probably.
Probably a use case of what happens when a game is optimized on the other side of the tracks. Maybe.

·
Needs more voltage
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePath View Post

Misleading title.

GTX 1080 Ti performed better in 4K

The 1080p and 1440p benchmarks are pointless. All the high-end card got over 100fps. Enjoy your extra fps on vega when the game is already over 100fps on GTX 1080

Also, Forza 7 is just one game
Uhhh, those of us with a 120Hz+ monitors definitely care about the extra framerate, especially since most high refresh rate monitors are also 1080p or 1440p. In fact, ideally we would like the framerates to be higher. Those benchmarks give people a direct insight into the performance they can expect at their native resolution, since often performance doesn't scale linearly due to a multitude of factors (such as a game being CPU bound) and 4K adoption is still not high enough to warrant not doing 1080p and 1440p benchmarks.

Just because the information of a particular benchmark is not relevant to you doesn't mean it isn't exactly what someone else is looking for.

1 - 20 of 499 Posts