Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"A number of users have reported purchasing Ryzen 5 1600X & 1600 CPUs that had 8 cores active right out of the box. The reports surfaced over the past couple of days on the Korean cooln.kr forums and special thanks go out to Bong for the tip!"

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpus-8-working-cores-spotted-wild/

This sure is interesting.... I'm building a Ryzen 1600 system for a friend right now. I haven't gotten into Windows yet, but I'm curious if he lucked out!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
probably a small percentage of them.

I've built a couple of r5 1600 systems and they all were 6 core.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azanimefan View Post

probably a small percentage of them.

I've built a couple of r5 1600 systems and they all were 6 core.
I'm going to assume that you didn't actually read the article lol.

All of the unlocked chips were manufactured on the 36th week of 2017 in Malaysia.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Literally the R5 1600/X is the bang for buck CPU and even more bang for buck if you are lucky to get an 8 core. AMD wins! Lol

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,527 Posts
AMD back again with these tactics lol. I remember the good ol' days with the unlockable cpu's. I was such a big AMD fanboy years ago lol. How can you not be? I bought a Phenom II x2 555 and unlocked it to a quad core and it overclocked better than my brother's Phenom II x4 955 BE it was crazy lol. mine can overclock to 4GHz all cores and my brother's cpu which was MUCH more expensive can only overclock to 3.8ghz
biggrin.gif

·
Super Moderator
9,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieanotherday View Post

they shoulda just allowed unlocking

i woulda quit intel in a heartbeat
Why? Either they'd cannibalize sales from more expensive chips or have complaints from people who bricked hardware or have faulty cores. AMD can't win if they allow it officially.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post

Just seems like a Quality Assurance problem, someone was using the wrong process that week.
I would be interested in the voltages / clockspeeds and whether it has a SEGFAULT bug.

edit: also this means later (36th week is September) R5 1600Xs should be as good as R7 1800X , if not better.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post

Just seems like a Quality Assurance problem, someone was using the wrong process that week.
now that's QC issue that makes customers happy lol

·
Registered
822 Posts
The crazy part of this is that there is probably someone out there who bought the parts as a recommendation from a friend, built their first build, and never even noticed they won the lottery. The kind of person to never check or bench. How many more out there in the wild?

thinking.gif

·
Registered
221 Posts
Imagine if they did this on purpose. It would be a pretty good way to get a ton of very good free press and might bring in a few extra CXs.

I had several Phenom IIs and every x2 555 unlocked to a stable x4. Funny part was almost every x2 that unlocked to x4 for me was able to get 3.9 to 4.1 on mid range coolers (212/H50 pp) while I only ever got 1 x4 to 4.0 lol. Mind you all the Phenom IIs I had were C3. Never got my hands on any 960Ts tho, prices were just too high for me to spend on a x4 hoping for an unlock back then. Kinda wish I kept my near golden 1090T tho... I'm stuck on an FX 6300 atm sadly...

·
Registered
790 Posts
How do you unlock on ASUS Prime X370 Pro ? mine Is UA1721 Malaysia

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuper View Post

The Phenom IIs required boards with a special feature for unlocking, from my understanding with these Ryzen chips they just bought a 6 core and it booted as an 8 core.

So I don't think they are "unlocking" cores, rather it seems they are accidentally given actual 1800(x)s as they straight boot as 8 cores without any BIOS feats.

Also your code keans week 21 IIRC and these are week 36s. So your not likely getting extra cores. Tho u may be affected by the segfault bug. And if so will be able to RMA to AMD and possibly get a newer manu'd chip. Maybe you'll get lucky and get an 8 core if u RMA
tongue.gif

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuper View Post

You don't unlock, you just luck out with getting an 8 core.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydabeast View Post

The crazy part of this is that there is probably someone out there who bought the parts as a recommendation from a friend, built their first build, and never even noticed they won the lottery. The kind of person to never check or bench. How many more out there in the wild?

thinking.gif
All it takes is to open the task manager but yeah, probably not many lol

·
Gamer
3,620 Posts
I miss the days of unlocking extra GPU/CPU cores...At least overclocking is here to stay...
wink.gif

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,704 Posts
Sounds like an AMD stunt to increase chip sales, just like the old core unlocking in the Phenom II days.

Its a proven tactic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman_90 View Post

Sounds like an AMD stunt to increase chip sales, just like the old core unlocking in the Phenom II days.

Its a proven tactic.
I always figured AMD lost money with that trick on the Phenom IIs. I personally had 3 different X2s and they all unlocked and OC'd considerably (C2 and C3 ones), keeping me from ever needing to consider paying for a full blown quad, because they always were full blown quads anyway
wink.gif

Maybe it does make more sense for underdogs to use these tactics. Maybe yields are improving and now they have more fully functional dies than they know what to do with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts