Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,419 Posts
To play devil's advocate here, I was rather angry with I learned that the RX 6000 cards would be getting Ray Traced shadows in Godfall before the RTX 2000 and 3000 cards. So it would be incredibly hypocritical for me to say "Yea, it's ok." in this case. CDPR needs to get Ray Tracing working on RX 6000 cards ASAP.

BTW, I'm an RTX 3080 owner.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Does this mean no RT for console versions of game at launch too?
The consoles are getting the PS4/ Xbox One X versions that just run better on the PS5 and Series X.

Next year, they will release an graphical update targeting next-gen consoles.

·
WaterCooler
3,823 Posts
The consoles are getting the PS4/ Xbox One X versions that just run better on the PS5 and Series X.

Thanks. wasn't sure how that would work.

Yeah agreed with other sentiments. Don't like these exclusive situations. This and Godfall being good examples respectively.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
PC Evangelist
46,971 Posts

At that time they would have to look at RDNA2 RT to get it working in Consoles. 6800 XT has about 3x RT perf of PS5 and 2x of Xbox.

Also, there are some games where the dev purposely degrades Rastarazation tricks so that RT can look better.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
lol. Same as Gameworks. DXR games that are AMD sponsored will run fine.
DXR belongs to microsoft and based on raytracing standards that are open to AMD.
If CDPR are using DXR, AMD don't have any excuse to allow it to work, unless their cards can't run DXR properly in the first place, because of lack of hardware support or driver support.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Devs turn off certain rasterization "tricks" when they implement their ray-traced counter parts.

No sense in running ray-traced global illumination on top of HBOA+. No competent dev would leave on rasterized effects if you also turn on the ray-traced version.

·
PC Evangelist
46,971 Posts
DXR belongs to microsoft and based on raytracing standards that are open to AMD.
If CDPR are using DXR, AMD don't have any excuse to allow it to work, unless their cards can't run DXR properly in the first place, because of lack of hardware support or driver support.
Yeah all the standards with DX12 and how Maxwell and Pascal had everything for Async Compute. Same thing with tessellation. Each GPU architecture handles different workloads differenly. You can implement DXR in a game which would cripple either side.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,495 Posts
To play devil's advocate here, I was rather angry with I learned that the RX 6000 cards would be getting Ray Traced shadows in Godfall before the RTX 2000 and 3000 cards. So it would be incredibly hypocritical for me to say "Yea, it's ok." in this case. CDPR needs to get Ray Tracing working on RX 6000 cards ASAP.

BTW, I'm an RTX 3080 owner.
I agree with the principal but I think it is a different situation here. Godfall has the type of ray tracing that is supposed to be brand independent, they just turned it off for Nvidia cards for a little while. Cyberpunk has RTX ray tracing and they need to add ray tracing that will work with AMD.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,767 Posts
I agree with the principal but I think it is a different situation here. Godfall has the type of ray tracing that is supposed to be brand independent, they just turned it off for Nvidia cards for a little while. Cyberpunk has RTX ray tracing and they need to add ray tracing that will work with AMD.
RTX is just a brand name, it still uses DxR. Only proprietary ray trace renderer Nvidia has is OptiX and that's mainly used for professional applications.

There's no reason DxR wouldn't work on cards that support DxR. Only reason I could see causing the delay is that they're waiting for AMD's enhanced DxR libraries to make use of the 6000 series dedicated RT hardware.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So, AMD owner's will get the half-baked version @ launch. I don't see gamers getting mad at that at all...

·
PC Evangelist
46,971 Posts
So, AMD owner's will get the half-baked version @ launch. I don't see gamers getting mad at that at all...
Yes. All RX 6000 owners will be mad. I think even if RX 6000 perf better ith RT than RTX 20/30, u need DLSS to even want to use RT on CP2077. That will never change.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Looking at the benchmarks their RTX version is half-baked as well compared to nvidia.
Remember that they are a whole generation behind in that aspect.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How good is the 6800xt at raytracing? I know its not like nvidia equivalents but is the card truely RT ready or is it a me too gimmick?

Does it keep up with the 2080ti?
Can someone with the card tell us what your getting in the DXR feature test?

3090s are getting 64fps
2080tis are getting 33fps

·
AMD Acolyte
1,668 Posts
AMD's cards take a bigger performance hit than Nvidia's but the 6800XT is starting with significantly better performance than the 2080ti; 6800XT should stay ahead of the old TI in the vast majority of cases, RT or not.

Unless you turn on DLSS, which isn't really a comparison.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,767 Posts
How good is the 6800xt at raytracing? I know its not like nvidia equivalents but is the card truely RT ready or is it a me too gimmick?

Does it keep up with the 2080ti?
Can someone with the card tell us what your getting in the DXR feature test?

3090s are getting 64fps
2080tis are getting 33fps
In the DxR feature test it's slightly slower but portal royal it's slightly faster. The RX 6800 XT pretty much performs the same as a RTX 2080 Ti with DxR enabled in most games.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Maybe they just need one M0ar delay??? :D
From the big boss man:

We need to make sure everything works well and every version runs smoothly.

Apparently, RT for AMD 6000 owners isnt among the 'everything' part. Oh well. Also, i'd say three times a charm, but this would be the fourth. 😅

·
PC Evangelist
46,971 Posts
From the big boss man:

Apparently, RT for AMD 6000 owners isnt among the 'everything' part. Oh well. Also, i'd say three times a charm, but this would be the fourth. 😅
It was never the plan. The plan was to launch with 2080 Ti.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts