Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

https://wccftech.com/evga-makes-a-s...eir-monstrous-dark-sr-3-lga-3647-motherboard/
Probably one of the coolest motherboards we saw at Computex 2019 was the EVGA Dark SR-3 LGA 3647 motherboard. This is a very unique piece of tech in more ways than one as it’s the only commercially available motherboard that supports the workstation class LGA 3647 socket in an E-ATX format; meaning enthusiasts and prosumers can actually fit this inside their full towers. Alternatives from companies like Gigabyte and ASUS use the larger EEB format which does not fit in traditional DIY towers.

This is THE coolest looking motherboard for LGA 3647. EVGA got it right. 6 Channel memory and exactly 6 dimm slots instead of 12 all in the size of EATX instead of EEB like the Dominus Extreme. And that water block that goes down the right side of the board to cover all of the VRMs and PCH. Epic!

https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/motherboards/evga-shows-off-monstrous-sr-3-dark-motherboard/1/

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seriously. I'd be willing to pick up the cheapest unlocked LGA 3657 chip just to be able to have this motherboard.

Priorities, right?

Please release something other than the Xeon W-3175X. I'm holding my breath Intel releases something like a 16 or 24 core LGA 3647 chip to compete with Threadripper.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,980 Posts
I absolutely love this. Would like to see more out-of-the-box WC'd motherboards.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Now make one for TR or Epyc

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,501 Posts
That's an interesting m.2 placement. Never seen that before.

Now make one for TR or Epyc
The last EVGA AMD board was on AM2+?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Seriously. I'd be willing to pick up the cheapest unlocked LGA 3657 chip just to be able to have this motherboard.

Priorities, right?

Please release something other than the Xeon W-3175X. I'm holding my breath Intel releases something like a 16 or 24 core LGA 3647 chip to compete with Threadripper.
If rumors are true the W-3175X will be old news by the end of the year. Being replaced with the W-3275, same core count but Cascade Lake arch. There's also other Xeon W series 8, 12, 16, 24, 28 cores. Still on Z97/4790K, the SR-3 Dark could be the mobo I end up with this year. If not, I'll wait for ddr5 platform from Intel or AMD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If rumors are true the W-3175X will be old news by the end of the year. Being replaced with the W-3275, same core count but Cascade Lake arch. There's also other Xeon W series 8, 12, 16, 24, 28 cores. Still on Z97/4790K, the SR-3 Dark could be the mobo I end up with this year. If not, I'll wait for ddr5 platform from Intel or AMD.
Might you elaborate on the source of this rumor? A 12 or 16 core unlocked Xeon W would be very interesting...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Google "Intel Xeon Cascade Lake-W". Then take your pick from Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, Wccftech, just to name a few.

Indeed, it looks like it but most likely the lower end Xeon W chips will be locked just like the current W-2175 chip. Only the W-3175 28 core is unlocked.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Indeed, it looks like it but most likely the lower end Xeon W chips will be locked just like the current W-2175 chip. Only the W-3175 28 core is unlocked.
Yeah that's a possibility. I'm eyeing the 16 core myself if SR3 Dark reviews are positive. I don't really want to get the W-3275 not because of price but my OCD nature. My next CPU has to be 8, 16, or 32 core. I was really hoping for a 32 core unlocked Xeon W during the Cascade Lake refresh, hopefully under $4000. Likely the another 28 core will be the flagship.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
I absolutely love this. Would like to see more out-of-the-box WC'd motherboards.
they've definitely come a long way. They didn't catch on at first because they used obscure barb sizes, n mixed metals, etc.

·
I <3 narcissists
7,167 Posts
I'm not a fan of excess, but that is a very pretty motherboard. They managed to make something obscenely excessive and still make it attractive, although I throw up a little in my mouth if I think about owning one.

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Looks perfect out of the box for LN2. Need to see the VRM setup under that heatsink to know for sure though. Hopefully they overbuilt it in order to take advantage of the quad 8-pin power. Would be pretty sucky if power connectors can handle 1600w but VRM can only do 500w.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would say "shut up and take my money" but I don't think I have enough...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the 28 Core is $3000, I'd probably be willing to shell out about $1,500 for a unlocked LGA 3647 14 core processor. That's not too much more than a 14 core 9940X. If AMD's mainstream 12 core processor is only $499, one way to entice users to buy Intel HEDT is to push the hexachannel memory on this platform.

I can't imagine intel being stubborn about sticking to the $3000 price range when the AMD 16 core part is going to be around $800.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,980 Posts
they've definitely come a long way. They didn't catch on at first because they used obscure barb sizes, n mixed metals, etc.
Yeah. One of Asus' first WC boards was an aluminum block. I couldn't believe it. "Do they not know? That's not possible." is what I asked myself.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I'm not a fan of excess, but that is a very pretty motherboard. They managed to make something obscenely excessive and still make it attractive, although I throw up a little in my mouth if I think about owning one.
I think we like it so much cuz it doesn't have RGBHIV

omg tho... i bet the mobo will easily be over 1000, probably closer to 1500.

who wants to rob a bank with me?

• Rep+
Reactions: Kimir

·
I <3 narcissists
7,167 Posts
I think we like it so much cuz it doesn't have RGBHIV

omg tho... i bet the mobo will easily be over 1000, probably closer to 1500.

who wants to rob a bank with me?
The Asus board is $1,800 but it has more memory slots and who knows what else. That's a big 'ol water block, I would say $1,500 as a best case scenario but who knows. I don't think it really matters how much it is considering what you have to spend to get a processor for it.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,573 Posts
the dominus extreme is ~$1,800US so this won't be cheap.

if i buy 6 kingpins, do i get a discount?

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
although I throw up a little in my mouth if I think about owning one.
You're a dog. You're only removing the floor as the middleman.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.