Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 674 Posts

·
Just another nerd
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-7nm-graphics-cards-landing-1h-2020/

Ladies and gents, we have our third confirmation of NVIDIA’s Ampere-based graphics card launching in 2020. While we previously knew they were going to launch in 2020, we didn’t know which half and thanks to the report by Igor’s Lab we know it’s going to be sooner rather than later. Leaked EEC certification and a report by Taiwan’s top tech publication, Digitimes, puts the Ampere graphics card on Samsung’s 7nm node and will represent a significant performance upgrade over Turing counterparts.

The fact that it is based on Samsung’s 7nm EUV process means we are looking at a performance advantage as well as a power efficiency advantage. Not only that, but believe it or not, 7nm EUV is actually supposed to be easier to fab than standard UV multi-patterning efforts. Think of EUV as sort of a reset of the difficulty curve as the company moves to a new light source. This will, however, require extensive re-tooling, but the economies of scale will almost certainly prove to be worth it. At a bare minimum, you are looking at a 50% increase all things considered and watt for watt.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,677 Posts
Maybe Ray tracing will be practical this time... But if Nvidia doesn't bring their prices back down to earth, it will be hard not to label them as a greedy company to avoid long term.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,540 Posts
It could be January or end of July, with reference models in August and AIB models in September. It will all depend on for how long Nvidia will be able to milk Turing's high prices before the competition rises up to the occasion, namely AMD with big Navi (most probably Navi 2.0 with ray tracing capability) and Intel with its new discrete cards. Since Nvidia was the first to launch Turing in 2018, there is no reason why they would let either AMD or Intel get even close, as they've had ample time to iterate their next arch, so this is essentially a timing issue and to an extent, the yields / volume of Samsung's 7nm EUV.

Having said all that, and interpret the following quote how you like, but it may well be the second option from above (late July launch). Why? This is what Jensen said in the last earnings call in August when asked about the Turing Super lineup:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...rp-nvda-q2-2020-earnings-call-transcript.aspx
In a ray tracing content, it just keeps coming out and and between the performance of Super and the fact that it has ray tracing hardware, it's going to be super well positioned for through all of next year.

There will always be some overlap between a new and old arch, but a full year of overlap? It doesn't seem logical, so I'm betting on a mid-year launch.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I am purposely waiting for this for a new full build.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Should be in rumors but I hope this is true since Intel will be needing some competition when their Xe cards are out.
Mid-range market is quite saturated. Intel will be needing to break in, if anything.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I wasn't going to bite on 50% more perf over my 1080 for $1200 of the 2080 Ti, but i can definitely swing 100% more perf with a 3080Ti for $1200, still stupidly expensive as we were paying $700-800 for flagships just a few years ago, but Nvidia tested people with Titan prices and they gobbled it up, now we're paying Titan prices for Ti cards, sad.

·
waifu for lifu
11,616 Posts
I wasn't going to bite on 50% more perf over my 1080 for $1200 of the 2080 Ti, but i can definitely swing 100% more perf with a 3080Ti for $1200, still stupidly expensive as we were paying $700-800 for flagships just a few years ago, but Nvidia tested people with Titan prices and they gobbled it up, now we're paying Titan prices for Ti cards, sad.

You think ampere Ti 50% faster than current one?

·
Registered
830 Posts
3080Ti will be far, far faster than 1080. I came to this from a 1080 and the difference is tremendous. That will be a good upgrade, though hopefully not at the $1k price tag

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
3080TI will be the same price.
highly unlikely. NVidia hasn't given us gains like that in years. 30% max. oh right 2080ti is 50% :p ;)

i have pretty high expectations actually, if not at least we know its the first hdmi 2.1 card :D

either way, i'm trying to hold out for the cards that release AFTER the new consoles. Not the last run up to the new consoles. That's like the last bit of paste in the dx11 tube.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Hope thats true. Cyberpunk 2077 is asking for new Gpu. I have decided to give my friend RTX2080TI once next gen stuff is out. Thanks for being the photographer at my wedding and even doing an wedding photo album.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I almost ordered a 5700xt yesterday, I think I'm just going to hold out until these drop and buy the best card in the 700 range. Whatever it is will be a huge upgrade over my 980Ti

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
1 + (1 - (0.5^2)) = 175% the performance of your current card (75% better)

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Maybe Ray tracing will be practical this time... But if Nvidia doesn't bring their prices back down to earth, it will be hard not to label them as a greedy company to avoid long term.
It is their nickname since inception. Greedy, nGreedia, ...
Their name literally means envy and logo is an evil green eye. You can look it up ;)

At least they don't say "don't be evil" and then do some of the most evil things.

The prices are gonna be same if not worse insanity than Turing. This will remain going up until their total profits start dropping too much or any competition shows up on market.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't consider myself an Nvidia customer anymore and I'm, for the first time, not excited at news of a new generation from them. The 1080ti is likely the last one I get from them. Their prices likely won't go down and I consider myself no longer welcome as a customer of theirs as I won't spend more than the $6-700 price bracket for a high end card yet they insist on charging over $1000. They have plenty of people who can't wait to spend that much, so it's fine. They don't need plebs like me, lol.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
I don't consider myself an Nvidia customer anymore and I'm, for the first time, not excited at news of a new generation from them. The 1080ti is likely the last one I get from them. Their prices likely won't go down and I consider myself no longer welcome as a customer of theirs as I won't spend more than the $6-700 price bracket for a high end card yet they insist on charging over $1000. They have plenty of people who can't wait to spend that much, so it's fine. They don't need plebs like me, lol.
that's because you're on the right page. 30x0 series is the last of the DX11 cards, and drops before "next gen" consoles. that + intel joining the fray, and AMD just getting started with 7nm = 3080ti will be one of the last times nvidia can release a truly zero competition flagship. AMD, Intel, and NVidia will be trading blows on the top shelf by the end of 2021.

i'm way more interested in AMD's moves for the next year. I'm sure they're over being the discount option.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Considering the source, this is likely all hot garbage.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,540 Posts
Considering the source, this is likely all hot garbage.

Considering that the source's source, as explicitly stated in the article, is Igor Wallossek (igor's LAB), it probably isn't:

https://www.igorslab.media/en/nvidi...s-relaxed-with-the-old-2060-for-a-rx-5600-xt/

And what else? So first of all (almost) everything has been written that is known or may be written. At least I don’t write here against better knowledge. Whereby up to the half of the year 2020 Ampere should finally come (I had already written something about it from time to time). As a middle class offer, as it was said from various sources and then also with a smaller structure width. Because obviously Nvidia doesn’t dare to get close to the big guys right at the beginning, but practices with light sailors. You never know..

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
" Because obviously Nvidia doesn’t dare to get close to the big guys right at the beginning"

because nvidia exhibits standard industry practices -

1 - 20 of 674 Posts