Overclock.net banner

[WCCFTECH] NVIDIA’s Ampere-based graphics card launching in 1H 2020

72012 673
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-7nm-graphics-cards-landing-1h-2020/

Ladies and gents, we have our third confirmation of NVIDIA’s Ampere-based graphics card launching in 2020. While we previously knew they were going to launch in 2020, we didn’t know which half and thanks to the report by Igor’s Lab we know it’s going to be sooner rather than later. Leaked EEC certification and a report by Taiwan’s top tech publication, Digitimes, puts the Ampere graphics card on Samsung’s 7nm node and will represent a significant performance upgrade over Turing counterparts.

The fact that it is based on Samsung’s 7nm EUV process means we are looking at a performance advantage as well as a power efficiency advantage. Not only that, but believe it or not, 7nm EUV is actually supposed to be easier to fab than standard UV multi-patterning efforts. Think of EUV as sort of a reset of the difficulty curve as the company moves to a new light source. This will, however, require extensive re-tooling, but the economies of scale will almost certainly prove to be worth it. At a bare minimum, you are looking at a 50% increase all things considered and watt for watt.
501 - 520 of 674 Posts

·
Banned
8,712 Posts
That is only comparing the revenue generated in the first 8 weeks after release of Pascal vs the first 8 weeks after the release of Turing.

Turd in the punchbowl here is only the 1080 and 1070 were available in the first 8 weeks, with the 1080ti coming some 6 months later. Turing released the 2080ti on launch day.

Since we are comparing only revenue of a partial launch of the mid range only cards to the revenue of a full release of turing cards (with a 30% mark up on their gpu's not to mention the 1200 2080ti all available during that timeframe). That tells me that in just units sold, the 1080 and 1070 alone likely surpassed that of the entire Turing line-up. And if you were to add in the later released 1080ti's first 8 weeks figures to pascals figures it would be a runaway slam dunking on Turing.
And judging by the owners thread on OCN (hardly an encompassing part of the universe of Turing buyers, but it's likely indicative), the 2080ti makes the bulk of the revenue.

·
Banned
8,712 Posts
Revenue or profits?

I doubt the 2080ti was the largest revenue generator.
With the parameter I referred to above, both.

In any case, Steam Survey from last month shows Pascal has the biggest chunk of the market, by far! The 2060 and 2070 are the Turing best sellers, also by a pretty big relative margin, but I wouldn't know how that would translate to profit. Revenue is almost evenly split between all SKU's, so my theory is, at least partially, incorrect.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
not surprised there. 1080tis are $400 on ebay. AnD iS bAsIcAlLy A 2080!

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is only comparing the revenue generated in the first 8 weeks after release of Pascal vs the first 8 weeks after the release of Turing.

Turd in the punchbowl here is only the 1080 and 1070 were available in the first 8 weeks, with the 1080ti coming some 6 months later. Turing released the 2080ti on launch day.

Since we are comparing only revenue of a partial launch of the mid range only cards to the revenue of a full release of turing cards (with a 30% mark up on their gpu's not to mention the 1200 2080ti all available during that timeframe). That tells me that in just units sold, the 1080 and 1070 alone likely surpassed that of the entire Turing line-up. And if you were to add in the later released 1080ti's first 8 weeks figures to pascals figures it would be a runaway slam dunking on Turing.
During the first 8 weeks only three cards from Turing lineup were released, same as Pascal (you forgot 1060).
It's safe to conclude that Pascal sold more even with initial availability issues, but Turing with higher ASP did produce higher revenue.
Another thing to note when comparing these launches is that Pascal launch wasn't plagued with crypto crash and massive influx of super cheap 2nd hand cards in the market like it was the case with Turing.
It's hard to draw any conclusions when you factor in such a big anomalies like mining.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
During the first 8 weeks only three cards from Turing lineup were released, same as Pascal (you forgot 1060).
It's safe to conclude that Pascal sold more even with initial availability issues, but Turing with higher ASP did produce higher revenue.
Another thing to note when comparing these launches is that Pascal launch wasn't plagued with crypto crash and massive influx of super cheap 2nd hand cards in the market like it was the case with Turing.
It's hard to draw any conclusions when you factor in such a big anomalies like mining.
True enough, that mining boom really messed up any way of reporting it. I did forget the 1060 though, for some reason I was thinking it was a lot later on though. Probably confusing it with the 1070ti. I am sure that the 40% more revenue thing is an attempt to skew the numbers as heavily as possible as a song and dance to the shareholders so it can be thrown out too.

None of it really matters though since for the most part it's completely unrelated to Amphere...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

Dude, you're clutching at straws here. Nvidia has a detailed segment by segment breakdown of their quarterly revenue online. do you have any concrete facts to back up your assertions. NVidia has been doing well as a company consistently. in fact they're even gaining market share from AMD. Clear indication that turing is doing better than pascal.

https://investor.nvidia.com/financial-info/financial-reports/default.aspx

just did a simple calculation revenue from turing for first 1 year 5.086 bn USD, revenue from pascal 4.805 bn USD.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,406 Posts
I know that you are being sarcastic but i feel this accurately sums up alot of the complainer/entitled mindset.

People have forgotten that this is an enthusiasts hobby and at the highest levels of performance comes a high price. Hell, in the very early days pricing was way worse. People are constantly complaining about the price increases of flagship products without thinking about ever changing/increasing costs through the entire R&D and manufacturing process.

We have far more choices now than ever before. So if you can't afford the flagship then either settle for lower tier parts or drop out of the hobby. People complaining about $1300 flagship GPUs are like people complaining that they cant get Lambos and Ferraris for the price of civics.

Save Up or Shut Up
This was in no way a facetious comment. Actually what I said makes perfect sense if you take a step back, take off those green blinders, and take a breather. The trend so far has been that two generations later, we should expect the x60 part to perform at the x80 (Ti) level for around $200-350 (ideally $200, but those days are long gone). 2060 beat 980 Ti, 1060 beat 780 Ti, and 960 beat 580. If the $300 something 3060 doesn't soundly kick 1080 Ti/Titan Xp in the ass, then it's a fail or nVidia is deliberately sandbagging.

As for save up or shut up, all I have to say is LOL. I think there are extremely few (possibly even 0) on here who literally cannot afford a $1300 GPU. But just because we can afford something, doesn't mean we want to pay that much for it.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
saving for a $1300 purchase probably means you should focus more on just saving for now ;)

·
Banned
8,712 Posts
saving for a $1300 purchase probably means you should focus more on just saving for now ;)
Exactly. I mean, consumerism can get the best of us, but it's just sound advice to have a few of your expensive products' worth of savings for a rainy day (or more if you are graced so).

And I make Magnek's my words, too, even though I generally cast my vote as a consumer more silently. The market tends to correct itself accordingly.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
3 months of living expenses goes by real quick when you're out a job.

living pay check to pay check, even while young, is obscenely stupid if you have the ability to save & just blow it all on stupid frills check after check. That's how you get stuck in the loop.

·
4k Enthusiast
4,006 Posts
3-12 months of living expenses saved, depending on how fast you'd reasonably expect to find a new job if yours ended, really should be standard operating procedure for more people.

As for tech, as long as you plan out your expected purchases, it's not too bad. I'll never understand the idiocy of comparing PCs to cars as a hobby. The two are nothing alike in terms of affordability and expense. PCs cost pennies on the dollar as a hobby compared to autos. You would have a hard time spending more than $10-15k on building a desktop PC. You could blow well past $100-150k on a vehicle without blinking an eye.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
top tier ENTHUSIAST PCs start to cost as much as a 20 year old civic tuning jobs.

that's where it comes from. It comes from young people & children without proper understanding of costs quite yet.

either way - I completely agree. More people need my Jew trait that makes me warm & tingly when looking @ money in the bank. Seeing a check land is way more gratifying than most purchases :p

·
Just another nerd
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
3 months of living expenses goes by real quick when you're out a job.

living pay check to pay check, even while young, is obscenely stupid if you have the ability to save & just blow it all on stupid frills check after check. That's how you get stuck in the loop.
3-12 months of living expenses saved, depending on how fast you'd reasonably expect to find a new job if yours ended, really should be standard operating procedure for more people.
IMHO 6 months of all expenses should be the absolute minimum savings anyone should have, especially if you own a home. Anyone who is living paycheck to paycheck should not be buying $1300 video cards. Used consoles would be a better option.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
How dare you state I can't afford something.

you've offended my sensibilities, i'll now afford it with 20%+ interest rates. What were you saying about not being able to afford something?

fast forward 25 years - congrats, you still have no money!

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,630 Posts
As long as I can flex with my sig rig who cares about the future

·
PC Evangelist
48,732 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
yeah yeah. NV already provides "financial assistance" to those using gamewerx, why can't dual GPU be part of that bribery?

I thought the advantage of AMD's failed checkerboard, & NV's soon to be seen supposedly checkerboard = driver level dual GPU?

501 - 520 of 674 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.