Overclock.net banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Lets say you have a microcenter near you and they have a 3080ti in stock. You were able get one. How much of a profit (money you put back into your pocket after paying for the 3080ti) you need to get for your 3090 to make it worth you while?
$100
$300
$500
more?
For me, its probably 700-800Cad at least. For some canadians, way to do it is backorder/waitlist at evga/memexpress (cost nothing) and only when the card comes and you got to pay then you decide what to do. If market is good, you go for it and buy the item then resell your 3090. If not, you back out since no money was ever spent. You also don't go cardless during that time.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

· H₂O Aficionado
6,006 Posts
^ Yup. I haven't been keeping up but backorders are secure ways for consumers to get a card at MSRP. However, it doesn't prevent the consumer from turning around and scalping it.

I could flip my 3060 Ti today for probably ~1,200$ CAD+. Meanwhile I spent $560 including taxes on it. I could technically keep doing this as long as backorders remain applicable. However, a) I don't want to scalp and deal with Kijiji / classified ads and b) it takes time. Even at over 100% profit, I wouldn't do it.

Surprisingly, the card I purchased does everything I need and I use it for work and gaming. Seems a bit unnecessary to throw myself back into the loop of waiting for Ampere. If my computer was for recreation, I wouldn't care but using it day in and day out, I don't want to be GPUless. As there is also a risk of buying the 3080 Ti before flipping my card. The market could change by that time (unlikely).

· Registered
5,416 Posts
^ Yup. I haven't been keeping up but backorders are secure ways for consumers to get a card at MSRP. However, it doesn't prevent the consumer from turning around and scalping it.

I could flip my 3060 Ti today for probably ~1,200$ CAD+. Meanwhile I spent $560 including taxes on it. I could technically keep doing this as long as backorders remain applicable. However, a) I don't want to scalp and deal with Kijiji / classified ads and b) it takes time. Even at over 100% profit, I wouldn't do it.

Surprisingly, the card I purchased does everything I need and I use it for work and gaming. Seems a bit unnecessary to throw myself back into the loop of waiting for Ampere. If my computer was for recreation, I wouldn't care but using it day in and day out, I don't want to be GPUless. As there is also a risk of buying the 3080 Ti before flipping my card. The market could change by that time (unlikely).
Totally. I just installed my optimus waterblock on my 3090 and there’s issue of me having to get new thermal pads for the original cooler too.

· Banned
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
For me, its probably 700-800Cad at least. For some canadians, way to do it is backorder/waitlist at evga/memexpress (cost nothing) and only when the card comes and you got to pay then you decide what to do. If market is good, you go for it and buy the item then resell your 3090. If not, you back out since no money was ever spent. You also don't go cardless during that time.
Now that is interesting thanks for sharing that.

· First Time Listener.
59 Posts
Regardless of when it is allegedly coming out, it is impossible to get one at or below retail. A couple of years ago it was easy to get one well below retail.
I wish either retailers or the manufacturer would offer a loyalty program that allows actual gamers to upgrade their cards without competing with the miners and 3rd party scalpers.
My MSI Gaming X 1080Ti is beckoning to be replaced to keep up with new games in QHD resolution.

· I <3 narcissists
7,101 Posts
I read that there may be an announcement at the end of the month. I wonder what the odds are of being able to buy on of these for less than $1500 this year? FE price is supposed to be $999 so custom models should be around $1200 until reviews are done.

· Banned
4,658 Posts
Jacob from EVGA said that people in the auto-notify que for 30 series cards will maintain their place in line when the current lineup is replaced with LHR models. Rumor according to Moore’s Law is Dead is that the prices will not change. This contradicts the rumor that non-Ti cards will be discontinued.

As for Ti models, a $200 markup to $1200 is optimistic. I think you’ll see a 60-80% partner card MSRP markup similar to the 6900XT.

· I <3 narcissists
7,101 Posts
I think a $200 markup over the FE model is reasonable. They will want the reviews to show a normal MSRP, once the reviews are out the aib msrp will sky rocket.

I wish that EVGA wait list was worthwhile, I really liked the idea when they opened it up. It's been forever though and I have not been notified for any of the 3090's, 3080's and 3070's I signed up for. I doubt it took more than a few minutes for the list to grow larger than the amount of 30 series cards they will produce.

· Robotic Chemist
4,477 Posts
As for Ti models, a $200 markup to $1200 is optimistic. I think you’ll see a 60-80% partner card MSRP markup similar to the 6900XT.
I agree, in today's environment it would be really hard to imagine less than that for a top end card. It would simply be leaving money on the table, unless things change very quickly they will all sell at almost any price.

It is bad business to sell for less than the market will bear, almost all MBAs will believe this, so I don't see how AIBs would sell them for $1200. Why would they? A 3080 is what, $2500, on ebay right now?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.