Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfreak;15226526
My black failed. So that's what they're trying to send me.
They are trying to give you a 3TB green to replace a 2TB Black ? If you have another boot drive, I would accept the 3TB for pr0n
tongue.gif

Seriously, I would argue and ask for a black since 3TB can be hard to fill and you could always get another 2TB Black and raid 0 for speed and storage like I'm doing.

For boot, I wouldn't use the Green.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Yes, there's a major speed difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GReid;15229260
I think RE4 is an enterprise thing, so the primary difference is reliability. IMO that level of reliability is unnecessary for consumer PCs, even with raid 0.
But if he can get one, then why not?
wink.gif

Ask them to send you a 600GB Velociraptor instead.
tongue.gif
(Oh man, the resale value! Or you can keep it and enjoy having the best SATA HDD out there.)

Capacity is useless without speed. 2x 1TB Blacks would be another great way to go, but I don't think they can send you back two HDDs for one RMA?

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfreak;15269074
It ended up being the newest 2Tb WD Black I got. Although, come to find out today after further testing. My HDD hasn't failed. My Sata 6 controller on my board is dead.
Figures. I keep hearing bad things about those Marvell controllers. (88SE9128?) Lots of people with SSDs or HDDs have issues with them. I think in the past week there have been several people with those controllers/ports dying?

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/1133057-hard-drive-disappearing.html

There's one of the threads - but I've seen a few more.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
save starting another thread sorry, is thier a difference between green and blue WDs? Apart from energy savings with greens, i have a mixture of black and blue WDs. Black for system, 2 blues in RAID1 for DATA in my PC!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stubass
View Post

save starting another thread sorry, is thier a difference between green and blue WDs? Apart from energy savings with greens, i have a mixture of black and blue WDs. Black for system, 2 blues in RAID1 for DATA in my PC!!!!

Greens have low idle timeouts. After 8 seconds of inactivity they park their heads. This makes them incredibly unreliable in RAID.

The solution is to disable that feature (takes extra work - the WDIDLE3 bootable tool is required) or you can spend a bit more on drives that don't require that tweak.

For some operating systems (like Linux) you should turn the idle timeout off regardless of RAID - Linux wakes up drives every ~20 seconds, which will send WD Greens to an early grave. (4320 head parks per day, 1,576,800 per year... how durable do you think these things are?
)

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy
View Post

Greens have low idle timeouts. After 8 seconds of inactivity they park their heads. This makes them incredibly unreliable in RAID.

The solution is to disable that feature (takes extra work - the WDIDLE3 bootable tool is required) or you can spend a bit more on drives that don't require that tweak.

For some operating systems (like Linux) you should turn the idle timeout off regardless of RAID - Linux wakes up drives every ~20 seconds, which will send WD Greens to an early grave. (4320 head parks per day, 1,576,800 per year... how durable do you think these things are?
)

Gotya. so WD Blues (not green) are ok for RAID1 DATA array in my PC? I also WD blacks in a NAS server running 24/7 going well

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
RAID-1 works well with almost any drives. Worst case scenario, if for some reason your array breaks apart, you've got a full copy of your data on both drives. You just pick which one to rebuild from, then start the process.

WD Blues will only lock up like that when bad sectors are discovered. Once you've got those you should start considering an RMA. WD Greens will lock up on bad sectors or from head parking. It's just a question of whether they do it long enough to knock apart your array. If they do, your drives have to spend time rebuilding the array - that's lost performance, a brief period where your data isn't redundant, and you're spending time telling it what to do.

For many people it's not worth it to save a few dollars. There are quite a few stories of WD Greens dropping from arrays after a half-year or so. That means there's probably about a 1/500,000 chance that a head park takes too long and the drive drops out.

Quote:

I also WD blacks in a NAS server running 24/7 going well

WD Blacks generally work well for that.
Bad sectors are not common on those drives.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy;15273416
Figures. I keep hearing bad things about those Marvell controllers. (88SE9128?) Lots of people with SSDs or HDDs have issues with them. I think in the past week there have been several people with those controllers/ports dying?

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/1133057-hard-drive-disappearing.html

There's one of the threads - but I've seen a few more.
That's weird that a bunch of them are just dying. I haven't had any updates for it, so I don't know what changed. Working fine for almost a year, then up and dies. Still have to pay to return one of the drives, so no point in not keeping the new slightly faster one.

Now to figure out if it's worth a RMA for my motherboard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts