Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting some of the 2TB green power RE's(WD2002FYPS) for my file server; has anyone had any experience with them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbuck5000 View Post
Looking at getting some of the 2TB green power RE's(WD2002FYPS) for my file server; has anyone had any experience with them?

Quote:
new WD2002FYPS is not a new hard drive. Instead, WD modified and re-validated the existing 2 TB Caviar Green WD20EADS to suit the demands of 24/7 applications in business and data center environments.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...gy,2371-5.html

Googling "WD2002FYPS Review" brings up a few things to check out. The newegg customer review has a few people claiming they had some drives fail. But hey, they are under a 5 year (limited) warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsmoke View Post
Rule of thumb: green drives do not belong in servers ...PERIOD...! The drives take to long to spin up and read/write is decreased to save power hence the "Green" name.
This hard drive that the OP is talking about was made for servers. Read the article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
I can read and I have. My reply stands. If you wish to procced with wasting you money by all means, but I thought you posted this thread for good advice...that's what your getting. In your original post you quoted about the relabeling of the drive so tell me how you think the drive is made for servers?

I am not trying to be mean but I am just stating the obvious.

Suggestions: you will be much happier with a black drive. Overall performance is much better for server function.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsmoke View Post
I can read and I have. My reply stands. If you wish to procced with wasting you money by all means, but I thought you posted this thread for good advice...that's what your getting. In your original post you quoted about the relabeling of the drive so tell me how you think the drive is made for servers?

I am not trying to be mean but I am just stating the obvious.

Suggestions: you will be much happier with a black drive. Overall performance is much better for server function.
I second this notion, even though the WD site lists the drive as "ideal for" media servers, large data centers and web service providers.

I would get these drives to replace the WD Black drives I have in my media server, now that I've tested out regular WD Green and Seagate LP drives in the same system. BUT I would not use these GP-AV drives in my ESXi server or any of the file servers; only servers that contain write-once-read-many (WORM) data types.

Oh, and I wouldn't put these drives in RAID either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raid was what I planning on putting them in. I was hoping being that they support TLER I'd be ok.

Guess I'll have to go with the regular 2TB RE4's
 

·
Linux Lobbyist
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
The Green RE-4 drives can be put in RAID: RE = RAID Edition. However, I agree with ComGuards and mrsmoke; unless the data they are storing is sequential access/streaming type media (music, movies etc.), I wouldn't use them in a server. The performance hit is too great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
The Green RE-4 drives can be put in RAID: RE = RAID Edition. However, I agree with ComGuards and mrsmoke; unless the data they are storing is sequential access/streaming type media (music, movies etc.), I wouldn't use them in a server. The performance hit is too great.
Just a simple raid 5 array for my file server.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BNT View Post
Sounds to me like you alreAdy made your choice. I'd just go with the drive you want.
Well not quite yet, I've read reviews and found nothing on whether or not there are issues running them in raid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA View Post
Even though they are marketed as 'datacenter-ready', I wouldn't get near the any green drives for server use, especially when RAID is involved. Blacks or other high-performance models are the way to go.
Am I not asking for trouble running Blacks in Raid 5?
 

·
Linux Lobbyist
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
Apparently the Caviar Blacks (specifically the 1TB models) have issues with TLER, so seemingly they are not ideal for running in RAID.

To be honest, since this seems to just be for a home file server, have a look at the Samsung F3 or F4 2TB Eco Green drives. They seem to be ideal for your purposes and don't have issues with TLER. The 2TB Hitachi is also a good candidate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbuck5000 View Post
Am I not asking for trouble running Blacks in Raid 5?
As far as I know, as long as the TLER settings on the drive are correctly configured, the Black drives should be fine in RAID5. I don't have personal experience with that setup though, so I may be wrong.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbuck5000 View Post
Am I not asking for trouble running Blacks in Raid 5?
I personally don't have any problems running 12 500GB Blacks in various RAID configurations on multiple systems, including RAID-5.

Of course, RAID only protects against hardware failure. If you're that concerned about the data, you should implement a proper backup/recovery procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
Apparently the Caviar Blacks (specifically the 1TB models) have issues with TLER, so seemingly they are not ideal for running in RAID.

To be honest, since this seems to just be for a home file server, have a look at the Samsung F3 or F4 2TB Eco Green drives. They seem to be ideal for your purposes and don't have issues with TLER. The 2TB Hitachi is also a good candidate.
TLER is WD's name for their impelementation of it. Samsung, Seagate etc... all have similar solutions AFAIK only enabled on their server grade drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA View Post
As far as I know, as long as the TLER settings on the drive are correctly configured, the Black drives should be fine in RAID5. I don't have personal experience with that setup though, so I may be wrong.
Guess its time for more research see if TLER can be turned on on the newest iterations of Caviars, thought it had been blocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
I personally don't have any problems running 12 500GB Blacks in various RAID configurations on multiple systems, including RAID-5.

Of course, RAID only protects against hardware failure. If you're that concerned about the data, you should implement a proper backup/recovery procedure.
I have that in-place already for the important stuff(external drive + online backup) This is just about reducing the need to have to use them and because my current storage is getting full.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top