Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a 3TB HDD. Noise, vibration and warranty are my biggest concerns so performance doesn't matter. Will be used in PC as bulk storage of games, recorded TV, music, etc.

WD Red 3TB:

3-year warranty
28dbA
£90

WD Red Pro 3TB:

5-year warranty
34dbA
£130

Is it worth the extra £40 for 2-years of warranty with the Pro, or should I save my money now and buy another WD Red further down the line as backup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post

I'm looking to get a 3TB HDD. Noise, vibration and warranty are my biggest concerns so performance doesn't matter. Will be used in PC as bulk storage of games, recorded TV, music, etc.

WD Red 3TB:

3-year warranty
28dbA
£90

WD Red Pro 3TB:

5-year warranty
34dbA
£130

Is it worth the extra £40 for 2-years of warranty with the Pro, or should I save my money now and buy another WD Red further down the line as backup?
Get the pro, for extra speed and extra 2years warranty. Noise and vibration isn't that bad on a 7200rpm hdd, if you install it well with some noise reduction materials.
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
Just being a devil's advocate here, why not a Hitachi (HGST) instead of the WD Red? Hitachi's are more reliable than WDs! Are WDs cheaper where you are?!

Check out this update when it comes to reliability of HDDs ---> HERE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

Just being a devil's advocate here, why not a Hitachi (HGST) instead of the WD Red? Hitachi's are more reliable than WDs! Are WDs cheaper where you are?!

Check out this update when it comes to reliability of HDDs ---> HERE
Wasn't there a lot of discussion about those results being complete crap? http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-hardware/selecting-a-disk-drive-how-not-to-do-research-1.html

I've found a 3TB HGST drive and it's £105 and the only place I can get it from is Amazon.
 

·
I took this profile pic
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
I think pro is meant for professional work which is why it has the better warranty. I've had a 1 TB Red for 2 years and it works great. But I can't speak for everybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21cage12 View Post

Get the pro, for extra speed and extra 2years warranty. Noise and vibration isn't that bad on a 7200rpm hdd, if you install it well with some noise reduction materials.
I disagree. I wouldn't pay more for 2 extra years of a warranty if the warranty's already 3 years. That's kind of like buying an extended warranty at that point. And I honestly don't think any performance benefit is worth the money. So you're basically paying 50 more pounds for an extra 2 years of a warranty and some slight performance increase on an HDD whose base price is only 90 pounds. That's over half the base price just for those 2 things.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: TekWarfare

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So get the WD Red or HGST?

Thanks.
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
I thought WD Reds (not the pros) had a huge failure rate a while back?
 

·
Ever Forward.
Joined
·
6,524 Posts
I'd go with the Pro.

Red Pro has added value much worth of the extra cost; the longer warranty is just an added bonus to the other features over the Red.

The non-Pro would do just fine for your usage tho.
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
I'd still go with the cheapest available drive you can get, if it's the HGST, I'd get it. If the reds are cheaper then get it. Most of those drives have a 3 year warranty anyway and if your using it for bulk storage (as you mentioned) and as long as you don't have persistent power fluctuations or blackouts in your area you're good with either.

I personally have had bad experience with WD HDDs because of the power fluctuations and power outages we suffer in my area. That's killed more of my drives than anything else (at least 5 WD greens have died, and 1 WD black, my Hitachis and SSDs lived through them without incident though). I ended up buying a very nice and expensive UPS to help with the issue (super worth it)!
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post

Wasn't there a lot of discussion about those results being complete crap? http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-hardware/selecting-a-disk-drive-how-not-to-do-research-1.html

I've found a 3TB HGST drive and it's £105 and the only place I can get it from is Amazon.
Yeah there was, but it's hard to refute numbers posted by Blackblaze for the sheer fact that those drives are on server racks and are being used just like any other drive (more heavily though). For the author of that article to state that the setup of Blackblaze (Too much vibration is what he said - I think?) is wrong when all he's doing is assuming without even seeing how it's setup is another discussion altogether. Anyway, you can always come up with an argument from different sides, but the fact of the matter is, it's HDDs setup in server racks which everyone does, though in much smaller scale and much less controlled area than what Blackblaze has.

I still say go with the cheapest option you can get and always have a backup, that's the only foolproof way to ensure your data is safe!
thumb.gif
 

·
Ever Forward.
Joined
·
6,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post

Wasn't there a lot of discussion about those results being complete crap? http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-hardware/selecting-a-disk-drive-how-not-to-do-research-1.html

I've found a 3TB HGST drive and it's £105 and the only place I can get it from is Amazon.
Yeah there was, but it's hard to refute numbers posted by Blackblaze for the sheer fact that those drives are on server racks and are being used just like any other drive (more heavily though). For the author of that article to state that the setup of Blackblaze (Too much vibration is what he said - I think?) is wrong when all he's doing is assuming without even seeing how it's setup is another discussion altogether. Anyway, you can always come up with an argument from different sides, but the fact of the matter is, it's HDDs setup in server racks which everyone does, though in much smaller scale and much less controlled area than what Blackblaze has.

I still say go with the cheapest option you can get and always have a backup, that's the only foolproof way to ensure your data is safe!
thumb.gif
That's just horrible advice. He should get the drive that best suits his needs, then he should thoroughly test it to weed out a DOA or otherwise defective drive that would fail prematurely. Then he could start putting data on it, and backing up that data.

Backblaze's data is useless at best for anyone not using a Backblaze designed storage pod and has very little application to typical consumer workloads.

BackBlaze uses "storage pods" that arranges drives like this



Kinda hard to tell just what sort of isolation is at work here to minimize vibration, just looking at the images of completed systems (2.0, but the 4.0 uses pretty much the exact same design), and how the structure is, they don't look very robust compared to a high-end storage chassis like you'd find from Supermicro. I'd very much like a comparison looking at vibrational and shock loads exerted on drives between the pod and a storage chassis like the SM CSE-847E16.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: mrawesome421

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
I did say back up his data right? Why is that bad advice? The drives he's asking about the HGST and the RED (not pro) are both consumer level drives with the same warranty right? He also said he just needed it as a general storage drive so why would choosing either one be bad advice?

As far as the Backblaze's data is concerned it clearly shows that WD Red (EFRX Model - 776 HDDs - 8.8% failed) can't handle vibrations and the HGSTs (5K3000 model - 4,593 HDDs - 0.7% failed / 7K3000 model - 1022 HDDs - 1.4% failed) can. Doesn't that mean they are more resistant to vibration when compared to each other?

As I previously mentioned, each author makes valid points and everyone can make point for each side; but the bottom line, the OP needs a general storage drive as he mentioned and both HGST and the Red will suffice.

In the end, he still needs to back things up to ensure that his data is safe.
biggrin.gif


+1 for reminding him to test it before putting in all the data though (I forgot to mention that)!
thumb.gif
 

·
Meeeeeeeow!
Joined
·
2,229 Posts
Personally I think it might be worth spending the extra for the Red Pro, or the HGST, due to the superior reliability and performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

Yeah there was, but it's hard to refute numbers posted by Blackblaze for the sheer fact that those drives are on server racks and are being used just like any other drive (more heavily though). For the author of that article to state that the setup of Blackblaze (Too much vibration is what he said - I think?) is wrong when all he's doing is assuming without even seeing how it's setup is another discussion altogether. Anyway, you can always come up with an argument from different sides, but the fact of the matter is, it's HDDs setup in server racks which everyone does, though in much smaller scale and much less controlled area than what Blackblaze has.

I still say go with the cheapest option you can get and always have a backup, that's the only foolproof way to ensure your data is safe!
thumb.gif
If the data is right, and the HGST drive is only somewhat more expensive (ex: 10-20%), I think it's worth considering the HGST judging by the Backblaze results. Back up regardless though.

The WD Reds are based on the WD Greens. The Red Pro is based on the WD Se series.

It's a pity that we don't have results on the WD Blacks, and a couple of enterprise drives, especially the WD RE, the Seagate Enterprise Capacity, and the HGST Ultrastars. It'd be interesting to compare them. I suspect that the WD Blacks would have a similar reliability statistic to the HGST Deskstars, because they are both based on enterprise drives, the RE and Ultrastars respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

I thought WD Reds (not the pros) had a huge failure rate a while back?
I believe so.

The WD Greens had a series of really bad batches, so I would not be surprised if the Reds, which are based on the Green drives had similar failures. These issues seem to come in batches. The Seagate 7200.11, the WD Greens, the notorious HGST Deathstar, and a few others. I'd keep an eye on the forums in case another bad batch arises.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post

I've found the HGST 3TB on SCAN for £100, http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3tb-hgst-0s03661-deskstar-nas-24x7-use-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache-8ms-ncq

It's a 7200RPM drive though so it's going to be louder, but I can't find anything. The Red has been tested here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1285-page5.html
The WD Red should be quiet since it's based off the WD Green, that's one thing I like about the Green! As for the Hitachi, I think most 7,200 rpm drives will always generate more noise compared to a 5,400 rpm drive.

I tell you what, my WD Blacks (7.200 rpm) are very audible compared to my Greens (actually I can't hear these) even when inside the case from about a foot and a half away!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top