Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to remove the outside heatsink from these drives? i would like to be able to install it into a 2.5'' hdd cage. my plans are to use this drive with ssd cacheing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, I have done that with a couple of my raptors.

I think you need a T8 torx driver, you will void the warranty because one of the bolts is under the warranty sticker. Remove 4 for the drive, 2 for the 3.5" adapter and slowly angle it out so you can slide the 3.5" SATA adapter off.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRO-Bot View Post

You can remove it but those Velociraptor drives are a little bigger than 2.5 drives. Thick wise I think
i dont think thicker will really affect my haf xb cage......theres plenty of room in there. i was more concerned with the removal of the heatsink.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You can remove them, but I don't think that would be the best choice. They are 10,000 RPM drives, so they do generate quite a bit of heat, relatively. The extra heat may cause a shortened lifespan and increased rate of failure. Heatsink is there for a reason. Just my opinion though.

• Rep+
Reactions: toyz72

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz72 View Post

i dont think thicker will really affect my haf xb cage......theres plenty of room in there. i was more concerned with the removal of the heatsink.
So why would you wanna remove it anyways if you're just gonna stick it in a cage in a desktop PC? Usually people take it out thinking they could stick it in their laptop to find out it's thicker than your normal 2.5 drive.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRO-Bot View Post

So why would you wanna remove it anyways if you're just gonna stick it in a cage in a desktop PC? Usually people take it out thinking they could stick it in their laptop to find out it's thicker than your normal 2.5 drive.
right now im just trying to figure out how to work it into the case. the coolermaster haf xb hdd setup is just crap.the only options for 3.5 are two hot swap bay's. i'm more worried about heat issues because they're in an area where i cant get airflow to.

i do have one open 5.25 drive bay,but i would have to figure out a way to secure it. maybe something like a 5.25 drive bay cooler? it seems they dont really have that many options for these kind of applications?

·
Registered
419 Posts
The hard drives don't run that hot and so long as there is any airflow you'll be fine.....of course, they would be slightly better with the "icepack" heatsink, but once you separate the drive, if you do, you'll notice that the contact pads are only about 1.5 square centimeters......almost useless.

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
You don't need to worry about the temps that much, the drives run pretty cool actually.
My Velociraptor usualy sat in the low 30s, even if it were another 10c+ or so thats absolutely fine.

Just use whatever 3.5" bays or 5.25" bays you have already, it doesn't make sense to void the drive's warranty for something like that IMO.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

You don't need to worry about the temps that much, the drives run pretty cool actually.
My Velociraptor usualy sat in the low 30s, even if it were another 10c+ or so thats absolutely fine.

Just use whatever 3.5" bays or 5.25" bays you have already, it doesn't make sense to void the drive's warranty for something like that IMO.
well this sounds like the plan. i guess ill do some searching around on some 5.25 drive bay mounts that will work with this case. if theres any good links or places to find this hardware, feel free to help out.thx

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
I usually have good luck finding specialized bay adapters on sites like FrozenCPU & Performance PCs.
So long as you have space in your 3.5" bays you could just do that first, I doubt the temps would be so horrendous you'd need to move it.

• Rep+
Reactions: toyz72

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that would really work out well. i have two 80mm fans right behind these bays. that should be more than enough airflow to keep them cool.

im surfing pcperformance right now. there right here in florida with me. i've used them for other things as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts