Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done working on a HP desktop trying to figure out why it doesn't boot or detect any drives, but ended up not knowing which route to go. I'll try to break down what the desktop is doing and what I have done with the little time that I had to work on it.

The desktop is a HP p6210y
AMD Athlon II X4 620
6GB of DDR2-800
Integrated GPU
640GB HDD
DVD-RW Drive
300watt PSU

Things that the desktop is doing:
1. When starting, it locks up after 3 seconds. Pressing any of the F keys to get into Safe Mode or BIOS does not respond. It displays information about RAM detection then moves on to "initializing USB" then it moves on and displays "Done" then does nothing at all. Does not boot into Windows.
2. It detects CD-ROM drives and HDD about 25% of the time that I have tried to boot it, and the other 75% of the time it detects nothing and if it does get pass the BIOS lock up. It will display "please select a boot-able device".
3. I was able to get into the BIOS menu once, and there are no drives being detected

1. I ran a quick MemTest86+ on it and passed with no errors
2. I have swapped the CD-ROM and HDD to other SATA ports, the desktop still does the same issues.
3. Swapped USB peripherals around still does the same issues

Any advice on what I should try next? I just think it's odd how BIOS is locking up and not detecting any kind of drives 75% of the time. And sometimes BIOS does not even initialize all the way to the "detected drives" part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
dying mobo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
thats a good idea but it shouldnt just freeze. the mobo is the more likely answer. stock hp mobo's go for 50 dollars or less or you could just buy an upgraded one for that price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
good idea. let me know how that goes
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top