Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a weird one for me, almost feels like a virus but could also just be faulty gear maybe. Anyways, here is the issue, my main rig (in my signature) has recently started to randomly freeze, like slow down and whole system locks, cursor will not move, audio halts, everything stops. Usually happens while browsing websites, but never while gaming. Before I found how to easily get the computer to snap out of it, I would do a hard power off. But I found that if my system ends up in that state, simply disconnecting my LAN cable instantly brings the system out of hard lock. Like instantly.

Before I found this out, I was convinced it was due to a failing HDD I had installed. So I removed my HDDs from the system and also performed a fresh Windows install on a new Samsung 960 Evo NVME. Well the problem came back and then I discovered the LAN cable quick fix, and honestly, the fact that it happens so infrequently, hasn't bothered me enough to go into full troubleshooting mode. But figured it was worth dropping a post here to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Next time it happens I will grab a couple screen grabs of my Event Viewer, but I am pretty sure I have checked that out already and it doesn't really say much.

I will say, I wouldn't be shocked to find out it is the NIC itself, as I have had piss poor luck with NICs in my past. I have had OnBoard NICs just up and die out of no where, my unRAID server's onboard realtek 1GB NIC now only detects at 100MB (doesn't matter what switch, cable, OS I am in). Ended up having to throw in some PCI-E Intel NICs. I just would hope that I would have better luck with this Onboard NIC since it is coupled with a pretty pricey MOBO, but I know that doesn't always mean you will never have a failure.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone is using the Google machine to search a similar issue they are having, I just wanted to do a follow up and say I found that it was a bum onboard NIC. I have been using a USB3.0 NIC for the last few months as a test and the bug disappeared. I just recently tried plugging back into the onboard LAN and within a few hours, I experienced the issue. I'll be replacing that USB NIC here in the near future (no time like the present to hop on the 10GBe revolution lol).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts