Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Networking Nut
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently upgraded my rig to a ASRock 990fx extreme 3 and AMD 8350 from a gigabyte 880 and phenom II x4. I did not reinstall the operating system as it seemed that I didn't need to. Anyways, the drivers installed correctly after disabling the antivirus. The problem that I am having is when my computer is turned on, my monitor gets no signal (using HDMI). From here I have to hard shutdown, flip the on/off switch on the psu, unplug HDMI from graphics card, flip switch to "on", and replug the HDMI back into the card. Only after following this process will the signal work when the computer is turned on. If I go into BIOS, then save and exit, the signal will be lost. Restarting the computer, signal is lost. Here is the strange thing, when I put the computer to sleep, and reawake it, the signal works. I have been leaving my computer in sleep mode whenever I am not using it. I tried a different monitor, same thing. I have not tried a different video card yet, which will probably be my next move. What I am wondering though, is if it is the memory. I thought this because it would come out of sleep (where RAM is still getting power) and recover the signal, whereas if the memory lost power, the signal would not work unless i followed the procedure stated above.

Looking for some input on what i should do next.
Has anyone had a problem similar to this?
Maybe reinstall the OS? (Will do it if I have to, but would like to avoid it)
I should also mention that the computer is running great from what I can see, no errors or anything.

·
Registered
281 Posts
sounds to me like a driver issue. Make sure your vid drivers are up to date. I know my buddy had a few tries adding a new mobo/processor to his setup, like the vid drivers didn't like it at all. Uninstall them completely and reinstall a fresh set.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Reset Bios because new Motherboard/CPU.
Flash new BIos if available with new CPU
Always Reinstall of OS when updating Motherboard/CPU so that you do not have any problems...
Did you download new or check for new software from ASRock 990fx and install BIOS/Chipset/Sound/Lan Drivers?
Did you download and install GPU Drivers ?

You say "I should also mention that the computer is running great from what I can see, no errors or anything."
But you are having problems... Just saying
smile.gif

I know it is easier to just use previous HDD but you want to make sure you
system is running at Optimal performance...Software is just as Important
smile.gif

Remember you just added some of the Best Hardware available and you want to use
older software with it...Reinstall
thumb.gif

·
Networking Nut
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that was the first thing I did, thought it would solve it but it didnt. I have a ASUS VS247. Windows would not install the driver for the monitor or for the video card unless I disabled the antivirus, which is kind of weird to begin with. I might try installing some of the older drivers and see if that will do the trick. Also, the memory that I am using is not listed on the motherboards manual as being "compatible". Do you think that could have anything to do with it? I'm thinkin' of doing a fresh OS install and starting from there.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nramotar23 View Post

So, I recently upgraded my rig to a ASRock 990fx extreme 3 and AMD 8350 from a gigabyte 880 and phenom II x4. I did not reinstall the operating system as it seemed that I didn't need to. Anyways, the drivers installed correctly after disabling the antivirus. The problem that I am having is when my computer is turned on, my monitor gets no signal (using HDMI). From here I have to hard shutdown, flip the on/off switch on the psu, unplug HDMI from graphics card, flip switch to "on", and replug the HDMI back into the card. Only after following this process will the signal work when the computer is turned on. If I go into BIOS, then save and exit, the signal will be lost. Restarting the computer, signal is lost. Here is the strange thing, when I put the computer to sleep, and reawake it, the signal works. I have been leaving my computer in sleep mode whenever I am not using it. I tried a different monitor, same thing. I have not tried a different video card yet, which will probably be my next move. What I am wondering though, is if it is the memory. I thought this because it would come out of sleep (where RAM is still getting power) and recover the signal, whereas if the memory lost power, the signal would not work unless i followed the procedure stated above.

I should also mention that the computer is running great from what I can see, no errors or anything.
You have an manual? It should tell you what signal beeps those are on your motherboard and go from there.

I recommend you install updates BEFORE installing a Anti Virus so Microsoft can install everything your OS needs. Sometimes there can be hiccups in their servers. I know i had one. I reformatted today dude.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quote:

Yeah that was the first thing I did, thought it would solve it but it didnt. I have a ASUS VS247. Windows would not install the driver for the monitor or for the video card unless I disabled the antivirus, which is kind of weird to begin with. I might try installing some of the older drivers and see if that will do the trick. Also, the memory that I am using is not listed on the motherboards manual as being "compatible". Do you think that could have anything to do with it? I'm thinkin' of doing a fresh OS install and starting from there.
What memory are you using?
What Video Card?
Why are you putting your computer to Sleep without figuring out your problems first ?
I hope when you installed new CPU/Motherboard that you got the system running with just:
SSD
GPU
Memory
Optical Drive only
No other devices...

Make sure you uninstall older drivers before installing new drivers from web-stie,
not the disc..
In the time you have tried to trouble shoot this, you could have reinstalled software
updated drivers and enjoyed your new hardware...
I will hang around a little while..

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would suggest resetting the bios, and also removing any chipset, and video drivers.

Then just try re-installing everything to see if it will boot correctly!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

If you haven't already started to, salvage your info and and treat it like a new install. Pop in the disk, boot, re-format, clean install. Not really sure why you would start at the BIOS when it's clearly a driver/windows issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts