Overclock.net banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Does slightly increasing SOC voltage make a difference?
This is a SFF Dell (not the system in my sig) that I bought off eBay and threw a few upgrades into it. No voltage controls etc. in Bios.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Does slightly increasing SOC voltage make a difference?
This is for sonixmon's other machine, not their Ryzen machine :)

Dell Optiplex 990 with an i7-2600S

EDIT: Derp, didn't see previous post.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would try switching off any power saving features the cpu has in the bios. and using the performance setting in the power plan.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks I have set CPU Min/Max to 100% in power plan and originally looked for power settings in the "simple" bios it has but I will double check on next reboot to be sure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Issue came back today right on schedule so Hyperthreading didn't make a difference. I dug through Bios again and did find Intel Speedstep, disabled that and now MHz locked around 2800 so will have to wait a few more days. Amazing to me that it runs fine then starts to creep in within 36 hours at 48 seems to be real noticeable and gets worse after that. A quick standby resets the clock without touching any running apps!

Hopefully this information will help someone else if anyone has dealt with this, I have seen people discussing the issue but not correlating time to it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No change with Speedstep disabled. This weekend I will reinstall the old i5 chip and see, I guess it could just be a bad CPU? It was a cheap eBay upgrade after all...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I suppose it's possible, I've seen other weird inexplicable stuff before.

I have a "damaged" P8P67 Pro motherboard that is otherwise perfectly functional and reliable, with the exception that I am unable to change the multiplier of an unlocked i7-2600K. This "damage" occured at the time when I installed a "faulty" PSU. Faulty in that it wouldn't start the PC the first time from a cold boot, but would after being power cycled.

It was all very weird, I had to get the PSU replaced under RMA and replaced the P8P67 Pro with a second hand P8Z68-V Pro GEN3, which restored full functionality.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I finally got around to swapping back to the i5, at first I didn't think it was going to act up but then I started to notice slight hiccup's again after about 3 days this time. I did a quick system standby and of course it cleared up. I will see if it takes 3 days again (usually starts at day 2 and unusable by day 3). So it is either hardware issue (MB, power delivery etc.) or OS. I may bite the bullet and reinstall or I might just let the system standby after 4 hours of non use. I used to need it on 24/7 for remote access but I don't use that much anymore.

Might do a new full backup, quick re-install without reinstalling all my work apps (occasional use) to see if issue persists with a bare bones OS. What has me stumped is what in OS would correct itself with a quick 2 second standby, not restart or hibernate

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
It sounds like a very frustrating issue to diagnose for sure. I wish I was savvy enough with the in-depth workings of Windows to be able to shed some light, but I'm afraid it's beyond me. I'll be keeping a keen watch to see if you figure it out though!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yea it has been, at least now I figured out I just need to do a quick standby 1-2 seconds and don't have to close any apps! I know enough to figure out there is something causing random latency spikes but it doesn't appear to be any single driver or process. I will update after the OS install, keeping it updated for anyone who might run into this in the future.

TY

21 - 31 of 31 Posts