Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was downloading the audigy SB EAX stuff from the cd that came with my sound card, the SB EAX. This sound card and the programs were orginally installed in my old computer. I moved the soundcard to my other computer and it worked fine without the software and drivers but i wanted to make sure i had everything anyway. During the final part of the installation around 97% completion a blue screen said that windows has encountered an error and needs to close or restart. So i restart my computer and it goes through start up before windows then "NTLDS"(i think those are the letters) is not found and windows needs to restart press ctrl alt del. I can get into my bios but i have no clue what do about this. When i restart my computer it goes through the same thing and back to the NTLDS(i will double check these letters).

THANKS FOR ANYHELP AT ALL, even if you just know what the problem is that would be helpful. I just want my computer back to normal.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport

I was downloading the audigy SB EAX stuff from the cd that came with my sound card, the SB EAX. This sound card and the programs were orginally installed in my old computer. I moved the soundcard to my other computer and it worked fine without the software and drivers but i wanted to make sure i had everything anyway. During the final part of the installation around 97% completion a blue screen said that windows has encountered an error and needs to close or restart. So i restart my computer and it goes through start up before windows then "NTLDS"(i think those are the letters) is not found and windows needs to restart press ctrl alt del. I can get into my bios but i have no clue what do about this. When i restart my computer it goes through the same thing and back to the NTLDS(i will double check these letters).

THANKS FOR ANYHELP AT ALL, even if you just know what the problem is that would be helpful. I just want my computer back to normal.

NTLDS is a windows boot file, the file may be missing and alos WINXP sometimes displays that message when a floppy is in the computer.

First see if a floppy is in.
Second if there was no floppy use you winXP install CD, to do a replair which should replace that file.

If all of that works I recommend going to the manufacturers website and seeing if they have new files for that card, the problam may have been caused by trying to install incompatible hardware with your OS.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. There is no floppy in my drive and my computer came with xp on the harddrive. Could i get this part from a friend's Professional XP disc, I use home SP2. Also if i get the disc how do i go about getting the file if i can't get into windows? I get this error before my OS even starts to boot up, or right as is does bootup i guess. I can't even use my computer except for the BIOS. I apprieciate the info.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the info. There is no floppy in my drive and my computer came with xp on the harddrive. Could i get this part from a friend's Professional XP disc, I use home SP2. Also if i get the disc how do i go about getting the file if i can't get into windows? I get this error before my OS even starts to boot up, or right as is does bootup i guess. I can't even use my computer except for the BIOS. I apprieciate the info.

Jsut give your friend the file name and location and have them put it on a disk for you to copy it on your system. Please try to make sure your friend is using the same OS(XP SP2) as you.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
that kinda erks me. I have a better soloution, switch to unix (fixes all the windows based errors
).

or just do what mfillpot said, stick a xp sp2 disk in there and let it repair. Something I've notice though Win2000 is so much more stable then XP. So far I've decided I'm going to downgrade all my computers to 2000. I do like XP's set up but 2000 is more stable and secure.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do i let it repair, and does it matter that my friend uses professional and i use home? I don't know a ton when it comes to this sort of thing, would i just put in the xp disc and have the mobo boot from that as the first priority from my cd drive?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

How do i let it repair, and does it matter that my friend uses professional and i use home? I don't know a ton when it comes to this sort of thing, would i just put in the xp disc and have the mobo boot from that as the first priority from my cd drive?

Yes boot from CP CD, then it wil give you the option.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

I hate when this happens! The file is actually NTLDR (NT Loader) and that is the main boot file for the Windows NT/2000/XP operating system. You might be able to use the recovery option, but I have NEVER had luck with that. You can find it in i386 folder on the Windows XP CD-rom. It doesn't matter whether he has Pro and you have home, but you should be able to pull it from your own CD.

Here is the easiest solution. Have your friend make you a MS-DOS boot diskette. Put NTLDR onto the floppy, but in a seperate folder, so the system doesn't get confused. Boot from the floppy. Now when you get to the DOS prompt change your directory to:

C:\\WINDOWS\\SoftwareDistribution\\Download\\6ca7b 3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989

First do a "dir" on the directory to see if NTLDR is there. If it is, then switch to this directory:

C:\\WINDOWS\\ServicePackFiles\\i386

First do a "dir" to list the files and see of the NTLDR is there.

If NTLDR is not in either of these places, then copy the file from the floppy to the folder. That should take care of the problem if all that happened was corruption of the NTLDR file. I however think that it is a worse problem than that. Good luck bro!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

I hate when this happens! The file is actually NTLDR (NT Loader) and that is the main boot file for the Windows NT/2000/XP operating system. You might be able to use the recovery option, but I have NEVER had luck with that. You can find it in i386 folder on the Windows XP CD-rom. It doesn't matter whether he has Pro and you have home, but you should be able to pull it from your own CD.

Here is the easiest solution. Have your friend make you a MS-DOS boot diskette. Put NTLDR onto the floppy, but in a seperate folder, so the system doesn't get confused. Boot from the floppy. Now when you get to the DOS prompt change your directory to:

C:\\WINDOWS\\SoftwareDistribution\\Download\\6ca7b 3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989

First do a "dir" on the directory to see if NTLDR is there. If it is, then switch to this directory:

C:\\WINDOWS\\ServicePackFiles\\i386

First do a "dir" to list the files and see of the NTLDR is there.

If NTLDR is not in either of these places, then copy the file from the floppy to the folder. That should take care of the problem if all that happened was corruption of the NTLDR file. I however think that it is a worse problem than that. Good luck bro!

Good explanation!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley
that kinda erks me. I have a better soloution, switch to unix (fixes all the windows based errors
).

or just do what mfillpot said, stick a xp sp2 disk in there and let it repair. Something I've notice though Win2000 is so much more stable then XP. So far I've decided I'm going to downgrade all my computers to 2000. I do like XP's set up but 2000 is more stable and secure.
2000 and XP share the same Kernel.... And UNIX blows.....

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does he or I make that MS-DOS boot disc, what do you have to do? How will i tell if the NTLDR is there by typing that long thing into the DOS prompt? Also what do you mean by" I however think that it is a worse problem than that." You guys don't know how much I apprieciate this help even if i am totally screwed. If i could get back just to having my OS ready to go and lose all my files and stuff I would be ready to do that, I all i want is my computer back. Thanks again for the help!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

How does he or I make that MS-DOS boot disc, what do you have to do? How will i tell if the NTLDR is there by typing that long thing into the DOS prompt? Also what do you mean by" I however think that it is a worse problem than that." You guys don't know how much I apprieciate this help even if i am totally screwed. If i could get back just to having my OS ready to go and lose all my files and stuff I would be ready to do that, I all i want is my computer back. Thanks again for the help!
Put a floppy in
go to my computer
rightclick on floppy A:
go to format
in the format option click..make boot or system disk

then copy the file onto the floppy from the other computer

place the floopy into your PC
boot your PC

InDOS

type A:
copy ntldr.exe c:/winnt/system32

then if it asks to replace choose yes.

Robbot you PC without the disk in, and you are done.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehacker11
yah great explaination and can u get into safemode either? the key is f-8 keep hitting it when u boot up ur comp
What is safemode and how would it help? sorry about my stupidity.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
Put a floppy in
go to my computer
rightclick on floppy A:
go to format
in the format option click..make boot or system disk

then copy the file onto the floppy from the other computer

place the floopy into your PC
boot your PC

InDOS

type A:
copy ntldr.exe c:/winnt/system32

then if it asks to replace choose yes.

Robbot you PC without the disk in, and you are done.
what he saud but if u have windows xp it is C:/windows/system32/

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

What is safemode and how would it help? sorry about my stupidity.
safemode, is when windows is running without any services or the network running, it is used primary as a backup debugging method.

It will not help with this issue.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehacker11
what he saud but if u have windows xp it is C:/windows/system32/
not necessarily, my XP home is WINNT, my XP PRO is WINDOWS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts