Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Leadtek 6800 GT 256 meg. The games play awesome, but I have never had this situation with any card I've ever owned and was wondering if anyone else has heard of it or has any idea what it could be .

It takes intially from a cold boot about 5 minutes to turn on. The monitor light is yellow with no signal for about 5 minutes, then it turns green and everything is fine.

I can shut it off or reboot it and it comes right up 'after the inital 5 minutes'. I have XP, P4 2.5, 1500meg mem, and have had an assortment of cards without a hitch. I have reseated it a few times since the dang thing is so big. I even moved all my pci cards and hard drives to different locations to make roon for it - and I have a full size case
!

I have not changed any bios settings in the past. Any clues?

Hawkman427

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkman427

I have Leadtek 6800 GT 256 meg. The games play awesome, but I have never had this situation with any card I've ever owned and was wondering if anyone else has heard of it or has any idea what it could be .

It takes intially from a cold boot about 5 minutes to turn on. The monitor light is yellow with no signal for about 5 minutes, then it turns green and everything is fine.

I can shut it off or reboot it and it comes right up 'after the inital 5 minutes'. I have XP, P4 2.5, 1500meg mem, and have had an assortment of cards without a hitch. I have reseated it a few times since the dang thing is so big. I even moved all my pci cards and hard drives to different locations to make roon for it - and I have a full size case
!

I have not changed any bios settings in the past. Any clues?

Hawkman427

What power supply are you running? It could well be a Power problem...

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

That was my first thought as well.

Also power related: You did remember to plug in the supplemental power connector on the right edge of the card, right? I'm not even sure it would boot without that connected, but you never know.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

my thought too , but could be a loose connector . post your machine specs . Remove your PCI cards then remove some ram (leave your smallest stick in there), unplug your optical and floppy drives, if it boots fine then u have a power supply problem , o check the molex connectors on the graphs card

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll strip it down tonight again, remove some memory and cards, maybe try it in a different computer also. My power supply is either 400W or 350W. I'm thinking it has to be a connection to the MB since it is so hard to snap in and such a tight fit. It's just weird, always thought either it worked, or it didn't - never seen one on a timer. I'll check the power supply - thanks for the tips.

Hawkman427

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

I'll strip it down tonight again, remove some memory and cards, maybe try it in a different computer also. My power supply is either 400W or 350W. I'm thinking it has to be a connection to the MB since it is so hard to snap in and such a tight fit. It's just weird, always thought either it worked, or it didn't - never seen one on a timer. I'll check the power supply - thanks for the tips.

Hawkman427

400/350 is probabily not enuf (especially id the psu is a generic one) remove and disconnect all the stuff i listed above and see if it boots , what happens when u play games? its ok the mobo connector being a bit tight, but it probabily means u r using a generic psu. at boot up most of your devices are using full power and most are on , so mayb the power level is good enough for the geforce when your devices power off (most do bout 5 mins after boot)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting reply, thanks, especially about devices turning off after 5 minutes. Which devices would that include?

Presently I have connected to the power supply a cd-rom, DVD-rom, floppy drive, 160gig HD, 80gig HD, and a fan speed regulator. My power supply died a few years ago and I think I did a generic one that could handle what I had at the time.

On the motherboard I have a 1394 pci card, pci sound card, pci modem, and numerous devices connected USB (ipod, camera, printer, etc...). I don't think any of those take any power but I mention them just in case they do.

Hawkman427

·
Registered
332 Posts
They all do take power, the USB devices too. Like the guy said, u should disconnect everything except the primary HD and the memory, and the fan thing.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Interesting reply, thanks, especially about devices turning off after 5 minutes. Which devices would that include?

Presently I have connected to the power supply a cd-rom, DVD-rom, floppy drive, 160gig HD, 80gig HD, and a fan speed regulator. My power supply died a few years ago and I think I did a generic one that could handle what I had at the time.

On the motherboard I have a 1394 pci card, pci sound card, pci modem, and numerous devices connected USB (ipod, camera, printer, etc...). I don't think any of those take any power but I mention them just in case they do.

Hawkman427

on boot everthing runs @ full power (4 bout 5 mins - till windows has had a check over everything) unplug all usb and fire wire (usb devices can draw up to 2.5 watts each while firewire devices can draw up tp 15 watts per device so esp that) keep primary windows hd ,memory,mobo ,fan, graphics card --unplug/remove everthing else . the generic power supply must go get an antec. check if the graphics works when everythin (except mobo,cpu,fans,windows/primary hd,graph,mem) is unplugged tell us wat happens

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will let you know when I get home. Thanks everyone for the amount of advice I have received - it has been very beneficial!

Hawkman427

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

I will let you know when I get home. Thanks everyone for the amount of advice I have received - it has been very beneficial!

Hawkman427

did you have an agp card previously?

-what u want to give us rep points?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it turned out that it was my 350W power supply
- couldn't handle the card along with everything else. I disconnected everything except the essentials and it booted right up.

But here's the GREAT part - once I plugged everything back in and tested it, my 3DMark05 score went from 3250 to 4300 with no system setting changes (I did install NVTweak, maybe that made a difference). Even after testing it 3 times. Then I updated my driver from 66.93 to 71.20 and my 3DMark shot up even higher to 4450!!!

Once again I thank everyone - you have been a tremendous help, I never thought 350W would ever have been too little. I'll be putting in 580-600W this weekend.

Thanks again, it's like having a new computer now.

Hawkman427

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Good deal Hawk!! Yeah, the 71.20's seem to be pretty darn good so far. About the psu, make sure to get one that has at least 30 amps on the 12V rail and you should be good to go.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Well, it turned out that it was my 350W power supply
- couldn't handle the card along with everything else. I disconnected everything except the essentials and it booted right up.

But here's the GREAT part - once I plugged everything back in and tested it, my 3DMark05 score went from 3250 to 4300 with no system setting changes (I did install NVTweak, maybe that made a difference). Even after testing it 3 times. Then I updated my driver from 66.93 to 71.20 and my 3DMark shot up even higher to 4450!!!

Once again I thank everyone - you have been a tremendous help, I never thought 350W would ever have been too little. I'll be putting in 580-600W this weekend.

Thanks again, it's like having a new computer now.

Hawkman427

no problem glad to help, go for a good brand of power supply tho -what brand u thinkin . as a general rule done touch anthing under £50 - any brand from www.overclockers.co.uk will do (dont have to buy from there
they just dont stock crap--correction dont buy a hiper or qtec oe xpro as they cannot sustain the wattage u require) try to get a chieftec as this is just a rebadged antec (much cheaper too) , even a 480 decent psu wil b fine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to get a 650W for $19 off ebay, but something inside didn't sound right and I started doing some investigating and found very little if anything regarding the cheapies on ebay. Their 650W could in reality only be 300 or no different than what I have now. So I went with the Ultra X-Connect Titanium 500Watt ATX PSU. Paid a little more, but this will be with me for a very very long time.

Thanks again,

Hawkman427

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

I was going to get a 650W for $19 off ebay, but something inside didn't sound right and I started doing some investigating and found very little if anything regarding the cheapies on ebay. Their 650W could in reality only be 300 or no different than what I have now. So I went with the Ultra X-Connect Titanium 500Watt ATX PSU. Paid a little more, but this will be with me for a very very long time.

Thanks again,

Hawkman427

You people make me sick. All i want for christmas is a X-Connect - but NO, they don't sell them over here in the UK.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

do you have onboard graphics? and have u disabled them?

Does putting in a new video card disable them? Or do you have to do it manually? How

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesT

Does putting in a new video card disable them? Or do you have to do it manually? How

You generally disable onboard anything in the BIOS.

Adding in a separate video card should never disable the onboard video because you may WANT both to be available. Windows supports multi-monitor desktops, which requires multiple video cards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As you are aware, I thought it was the PSU, so that was replaced. I did all the testing and it seemed to confirm that's what the problem was. It was replaced with a psu that could run a car! After about 2 days of use it started acting weird again, display not kicking in until 8 minutes after computer was turned on. So I stripped it all down but this time it would not come up. Oh yea, the reason I stripped it down is because in the middle of doing nothing, just the desktop, the display went byebye...and it didn't come back. I think at the time there was a spontaneous reboot also.

After thinking 'seriously' about returning the card, I tried the digital adaptor that plugs into the vga cable from monitor into the digital port on the card.

Walla, it's been 2 days and hasn't died yet. Not a HUGE test by any sense but it is a good feeling though. Before I couldn't even get it up at all. Just can't understand why the adaptor would make a difference. I just have a standard viewsonic 19" monitor, certainly not digital or lcd.

Thanks......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts