Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i currently own a thermal take view 27 case (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw0zqq22fFjAPdvIAqi79pZs&ust=1533587775099225). The case was brought before i had watercooling mind, however after i purchased my new cpu and gpu a while back i decided to get into water cooling.

Now here is the fun part, I started watercooling only the cpu with a 240mm slim rad, but now i have introduced my gpu into the loop i purchased a 360mm rad.

So my current setup (yes i know its strange its for testing and was curious and id like your opinions also) I currently have the 360mm rad on the front of the case with 6 fans push and pull config.

But then i also have the 240mm radiator just on the bottom of the case above the psu/hdd's compartment (sorry no camera as mobile phone got smashed by accident recently, so you will have to look at online pictures from link and hopefully understand where i mean)

Now i understand having the 240mm just on the bottom of the case is not getting any clean airflow, so would having this radiator in the case in essence be warming up my loop more than just having the 360mm? or just because of the adding cooling surface area will it better with it there?

I know this is a strange one, i was curious to see, i will be upgrading my case eventually to something more suitable.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If a rad does not have decent access to cool air it really impacts its ability to contribute to lowering coolant temp.
Being positioned over the PSU shroud means it is probably recycling its own exhaust as well as the exhaust from the 360 rad. So it really all depends on how well air is being vented out of the case but either way its cooling ability will be quite limited. How limited, only you can tell.

One thing it cant really do though is warm the coolant. Radiators are not 100% efficient, meaning the air coming from the front 360 rad will not be exactly at coolant temp but something less. So your internal case air temp should not be over coolant temp.

If you had something like an air cooled GPU that was warming the air in the case above coolant temp then sure, the 240 rad would likely warm the coolant very slightly but aside from that your all good.

Its probably a good idea to test and see what the rad is doing. Load the system up with all fans on both rads running and carefully note the temps with whatever sensors you have access to. Then switch off the fans on the 240 rad and preferably cover the 240 rad with cardboard so it can't get any airflow through it from other sources and note all your temps again.
That will give you a very close idea of what removing the rad will do.

My expectation would be that the 240 rad is doing very little for the loop

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for your response, ill do some temperature testing later today and see what my temps are, i also feel like the 240mm rad isnt doing to much for the loop either, ill post back some results later, thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts