Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my USB flash drives and hard drives there seems to be some shifty stuff going on. Files sometimes goes see through, like when you "cut" a folder, and a .exe file would also appear in the same name (Eg. A folder called Movies would turn see through and a icon called Movies.exe would appear). This only happens with folders. Tried pretty hard to remove it but still can't. Would love some help since this thing is bugging me.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Install malwarebytes and then scan every fishy device as well as your entire computer. That should fix and virus issues.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

• Rep+
Reactions: HappyMan

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shozzking
View Post

Install malwarebytes and then scan every fishy device as well as your entire computer. That should fix and virus issues.

^^ this, I would also recommend an anti-virus scan
if its there on your flash drive then it should also be on your hard drive, scan everything.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shozzking
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by adizz
View Post

^^ this, I would also recommend an anti-virus scan

What they said, but I will add this: Don't connect that flash drive to ANY other computer until you disinfect it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMan
View Post

So I assume the free version of Malwarebytes is good enough?

Yep

·
Registered
74 Posts
You'll probably find that an autorun.inf file gets added to the drive pointing to the exe too.
My first port of call would be checking for the presence of a rootkit as that will have hooked some of your OS functions thus hiding files etc from your scanners.

If your OS is 64 bit you may be ok though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nup Malwarebytes didn't solve the problem. The problem is still there but thanks anyways. Got another solution?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you tried a rootkit scanner?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I tried a few random rootkit scanners, but can't find anything. Any good scanners that I might have missed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Did you hide the files by mistake by right clicking on the folder or drive and selecting properties, then checking the box which reads hidden under Attributes on the General Tab?? (Make sure this box is unchecked), It's possible you, or someone else accident hid the files...

If the hidden file is not the case, then it may be a good idea to run an online scanner on the drive(s). Like OneCare Live at onecare.live.com or eset's online scanner, but OneCare is the best, without a doubt.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunriselad;12006756
I think this is about the best at the moment

http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html

edit: GMER is what what I used when I had a similar problem and it worked

http://www.gmer.net/
GMER is ok, Avira makes a good rootkit tool as well..

Sophos is only 100% usable if purchased, so it's not truly free ware..
(Because root-kits can run in processes, kernel, or be lodged in RAM.)

rKill can remove malware from RAM & processes (temporarily), it's free, it's a very good tool to kill all non-normal processes in ram, this way you can actually USE an infected system.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I have to ask, have you been using the Safely Remove Hardware Icon on your Task Bar where the Icons are (to the bottom right) to unplug your Removable Drives??

With XP: Press the Start Button > select "My Computer" > right click on the removable drive > select properties > select the "Tools" tab > run the check disk and find & repair bad sectors as well...

With Vista/7: Press the Windows Button on the Far bottom left > select "Computer" > right click on the removable drive > select properties > select the "Tools" tab > run the check disk and find & repair bad sectors as well...

If this is a media virus, which are a pain in the arse, you will need to go through the process of elimination, where you remove all the files off the drive, reformat it (right click on drive select format), and place the files back on the drive one folder at a time till the weird thing happens again, noting which folder caused the problem, then start over, take the infected folder and move files one at a time till you find the offender. Obviously this would be done after your run Check Disk to repair the drive (always)..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry late reply, when on a week trip without internet. Yeah it seems like SuperAntiSpyware dide the job. Thanks a lot. + Rep to all ^_^.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts