Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has got to be the strangest problem i have ecountered -- here is my little story.

For the longest time my computer was working 100% stable @210x11.5. One day i tried hitting 230x? and other insane overclocks. Since that day, ive been getting these weird errors:

1) When i boot up windows i am unable to click the start menu or anything, i have to "ctr-alt-del" and close "explorer.exe" and then run "explorer.exe" After installed Service Pack 2.
2) iTunes only opens up after i reinstall it. (everytime i want to run iTunes i have to reinstall it)
3) Sudden crash in HL2

So these above problems seemed like software problems, so i reinstalled windows.... 4 times. Then i thought it had to do with my pirated copy, so then i used my legit copy of XP Home... some results. (btw i was deleting my C: Partition and reformatting). See the thing is, my computer used to work fine with SP2 and iTunes installed. I have tried different memories and a different prccesor and same results! Therefore i leaning towards either PSU or Mobo. Please if u are a software guru and can help i need it!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtoMicMoNkEy15

This has got to be the strangest problem i have ecountered -- here is my little story.

For the longest time my computer was working 100% stable @210x11.5. One day i tried hitting 230x? and other insane overclocks. Since that day, ive been getting these weird errors:

1) When i boot up windows i am unable to click the start menu or anything, i have to "ctr-alt-del" and close "explorer.exe" and then run "explorer.exe" After installed Service Pack 2.
2) iTunes only opens up after i reinstall it. (everytime i want to run iTunes i have to reinstall it)
3) Sudden crash in HL2

So these above problems seemed like software problems, so i reinstalled windows.... 4 times. Then i thought it had to do with my pirated copy, so then i used my legit copy of XP Home... some results. (btw i was deleting my C: Partition and reformatting). See the thing is, my computer used to work fine with SP2 and iTunes installed. I have tried different memories and a different prccesor and same results! Therefore i leaning towards either PSU or Mobo. Please if u are a software guru and can help i need it!

1. The error is resulting from corrupted system files, those files say have been damaged during the OC or by some malicious means, I would install a reliable firewall and see if your system is being accessed remotely by any means, leave only port 80 open.

2. This error with iTunes happend to a lot of people, The issue is that the more recent releases of iTunes have a bug that conflicts with Windows, reverk to an older version of iTunes.

3. The games is requesting too many resources, you must find what hardware cannot handle the intensity of the game.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:

3) Sudden crash in HL2

That was a beautiful storry

• Rep+
Reactions: AtoMicMoNkEy15

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know but all these problems just popped up, and wiping the HD and reinstalling windows is not fixing it!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

I know but all these problems just popped up, and wiping the HD and reinstalling windows is not fixing it!

Try to reinstall Windows from another disk, the one you are using may be dirty or scratched, and that may be what is giving you the bad files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3

i am thinking hard drive because of the windows error, i have a friend whos hard drive got a kick from a small child (long story) and even when he reformatted the same error would occur after about a week. Also some programs wouldnt even install which is kind of related to your itunes problem. A new HDD fixed his problem so maybe it will fix yours.
do you have one lying around?

Good thought, the HDD may be dying or have bad ghosts on it. Before you try using another HDD try a zero-fill on your existing HDD to see if the ghosts are what are causing the problems.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
i am thinking hard drive because of the windows error, i have a friend whos hard drive got a kick from a small child (long story) and even when he reformatted the same error would occur after about a week. Also some programs wouldnt even install which is kind of related to your itunes problem. A new HDD fixed his problem so maybe it will fix yours.
do you have one lying around?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
harddrives.. hm.. i have an excess of 160 gigs in my closet.. *****. Well also i have notcied some of my apps on another partition got corrupted.. maybe u are right. I just full reformated the whole damn thing and imma give it a try.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, i reformated the whole damn drive, and reinstalled windows, same bull****. So does the sound at all like a motherboard problem? Or is it most likely a harddrive failure. Im gonna test another drive now. Please help =( i miss my ***** (my computer)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
99% sure its the harddrive now, resintall on old 20 gig.

^ sorry for not editing =(

EDIT : It's the HARDRIVE! What should i do with this one? Trying zeroing or just RMA it?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump

<sorry for posting again i waited for an hour for a reply>

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

99% sure its the harddrive now, resintall on old 20 gig.

^ sorry for not editing =(

EDIT : It's the HARDRIVE! What should i do with this one? Trying zeroing or just RMA it?

Try a zero fill first, then if it fails RMA it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are there harddrive tests i could run to see if it is working?

update -- ok im zeroing it as i type, ill post back results tmrw after dumb SAT classes, till 4:30.. gahh

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
There should be a diagnostic prog at mfgs web sight. I stick with WDs.. there WD DLG (Data Life Guard) is sweet and easy.
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html
BTW, had you ghosted you load to the 20g you had collecting dust, (obviously up to 20gs) you would of been able to ghost the 120g quickly and found the 120 was poopey!

• Rep+
Reactions: AtoMicMoNkEy15

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright i used the Western Digital Data Life Guard programs on the bootable floppy and zero'd the harddrive. After that i ran the diagnositics too see if there were any errors, and it passes flawlesly. So im assuming all my problems are gone and ill live happily ever after. Im installing windows as we speak, wish me luck!

UPDATE - Works fine now after zeroing thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
many of you have probably noticed my inactivity the past 2 weeks or so, because my problem, stated on the first post of this tread, has not been resolved yet. I have so far eliminated the harddrive as a potentional problem becuase i tried my 120 gig and after installing a few programs the symptoms came back. The only components left are: Motherboard (maybe?), RAM (possibly), CPU (possibly), Video Card (probably not), secondary IDE HD (maybe), or CD-ROM Drives (probably not). Please if anyone can help, ive almost determined that its a hardware problem, cuz the softwrae used to work on this, then it just crapped out. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! I need help!

Thanks.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

i know i shouldnt be double posting - but this is a crisis!

What are all of your current symptoms?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1) When i boot up windows i am unable to click the start menu or anything, i have to "ctr-alt-del" and close "explorer.exe" and then run "explorer.exe"

this only occurs after i have installed all my drivers. With the generic windows ones it works fine. And... one day it was working fine, the next day i turned it on and it was mest up again! I didnt make any changes, becuase it was off.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

1) When i boot up windows i am unable to click the start menu or anything, i have to "ctr-alt-del" and close "explorer.exe" and then run "explorer.exe"

this only occurs after i have installed all my drivers. With the generic windows ones it works fine. And... one day it was working fine, the next day i turned it on and it was mest up again! I didnt make any changes, becuase it was off.

Again,
The windows problem looks like a corrupt sys file, it may be a result of installing off of a dirty or scratched disk.

iTunes - IT has that problem with many users using WIN XP, try other veriosn of iTunes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts