Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetz
This won't be an extensive hardware review just my anecdotal first impressions on a long term switch back. I've been using a razer DeathAdder for going on a decade, well to be accurate my third DeathAdder. I love the way the DA tracks and feels but I dislike how flimsy the wheel is. Granted it is a very multipurpose button but still at the cost of over 70 bucks I think it should be a tank. But I kept replacing broken ones with the same model because the size and shape were so comfortable and I knew I could fine tune it in Linux no problem. Today though I got sick enough of it to look for a change.

Now I don't need a mouse with 55 buttons on it, they'd only get in the way since I'd never remember more than 3 or 4 of them anyway. I just want extreme accuracy at high resolution. a comfortable "hand" and a couple of programmable buttons plus I'd rather my money get divided up into as few features as possible so the ones I get are tip top.

So I pulled the trigger on a Logitech G-403 got home and unplugged the Razer without rebooting and plugged in the Logitech. Bam! Everything was there and it felt superb. I could barely wait to launch a few games and see what if any tweaking it might need. All my macros are still in place and working and the precision is beautiful and all I did was unplug old, plug in new. Guys... Linux has come a long way and so have gaming mice.

For reference sake I'm using Slackware 14.2 Multilib with a custom low-latency realtime 4.15.0 kernel. If anyone has any questions or some good mice war stories this is the place. Open fire!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
No war stories here, but Logitech definitely makes a top flight mouse. I was a long time user of the Performance MX, and I still have one that I use regularly. My main mouse now is the MX Master, and it was also a breeze to set up. Plugged in the wireless dongle, and the mouse was instantly picked up with all buttons functional, including the side scroll wheel which I thought might take a little configuring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah I've also been a long time user of Razer mices. I was on my second Razer Mamba when some day, not one of my finest days I might add, I ragequited a game and took it out on my Mamba wich in turn ragequtied on me. I really loved it...well built, perfect ergonomics, for me. But when I went looking for a new one I decided it's time try something new. So I went with the Logitech G900s. I've had it for about a week and so far I'm really liking it. I'm also using a Logitecg G105 keybord. Logitech works really well with linux....no complaints here.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
I've only used Logitechs for the past decade. The current one I am using the wireless G903. Works fantastic in Arch Linux. Zero issues even when putting it on the wire. Prior to this I used a couple versions of the G500. ALways worked great in Linux. Even on distros I have to use for work which go as far back as Fedora 4.

·
Registered
172 Posts
After reading this, I really miss the old MX series. I'm almost on the same path. Switching from my 3rd Deathadder that I already changed the switches on. It feels so flimsy and cheap. Though the polychromatic software works really good in arch, probably because Razer had nothing to do with it. Will definitely be back to logitech.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm quite torn about posting this because it's a glitch for which I have almost no clue to the cause and I'd prefer to be able to offer at least a distinct possibility, but it's complicated by the number of elements. Part of that reticence is posting it here under a Logitech specific thread when it is not at all likely the hardware is at fault. True, it didn't occur with my DeathAdder but it didn't occur with the Logitech (AFAIK) until a few other things occur.

The first is I employed the terrific guide data found here on setting up gaming mice in newer kernels http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Set_up_Gaming_Mouse

Of itself this was measurably a powerful improvement with one exception. My Logitech works perfectly in Native Linux and WINE but where there is a bothersome but somewhat random glitch is playing an old favorite Half Life 2 on Steam. Every now and then and only when I mouse look down past some threshold and fire left click, it will either not fire or will get in a repeating loop of left clicks until I move past that threshold and click once more. So I don't know if it's STEAM or HL2 that can't handle the considerable tweaks to mouse response but if and when I suss it out I'll post an update.

If anyone has had a similar issue I'd appreciate any data that could possibly narrow the field.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
I'm quite torn about posting this because it's a glitch for which I have almost no clue to the cause and I'd prefer to be able to offer at least a distinct possibility, but it's complicated by the number of elements. Part of that reticence is posting it here under a Logitech specific thread when it is not at all likely the hardware is at fault. True, it didn't occur with my DeathAdder but it didn't occur with the Logitech (AFAIK) until a few other things occur.

The first is I employed the terrific guide data found here on setting up gaming mice in newer kernels http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Set_up_Gaming_Mouse

Of itself this was measurably a powerful improvement with one exception. My Logitech works perfectly in Native Linux and WINE but where there is a bothersome but somewhat random glitch is playing an old favorite Half Life 2 on Steam. Every now and then and only when I mouse look down past some threshold and fire left click, it will either not fire or will get in a repeating loop of left clicks until I move past that threshold and click once more. So I don't know if it's STEAM or HL2 that can't handle the considerable tweaks to mouse response but if and when I suss it out I'll post an update.

If anyone has had a similar issue I'd appreciate any data that could possibly narrow the field.
On Windows I had similar issues with source games. That was a long time ago though.

HL1 on Linux had an error related to the KDE window manager. Maybe in this case it's a similar source bug or wm regression (even though your experiencing it with source 2, not HL1/source). cl_mousegrab 0 fixes/fixed it but can also introduce other strange behavior (cannot pan camera and shoot at same time). Just throwing that out there, worth a shot maybe.

That's a nice guide. The mouse tweak thats made the biggest difference for me is eliminating accel. Huge difference even on non-gaming mice. That and libinput has been a godsend with painless scroll and mmb emulation for my trackball.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I tried 50-mouse-acceleration.conf suggestion in the wiki for disabling acceleration, but I had to increase the DPI on my mouse to the point where it felt just the same with it enabled. Couldn't wrap my head around. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to it.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
I tried 50-mouse-acceleration.conf suggestion in the wiki for disabling acceleration, but I had to increase the DPI on my mouse to the point where it felt just the same with it enabled. Couldn't wrap my head around. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to it.
​Interesting. I assumed disabling accel with the xinput driver would be even better than libinput flat accel, which I should have clarified is what provided such a huge difference for me.

I needed libinput because I'm using 99% of the time an old opto mechanical trackball with low dpi (~300) that requires some accel plus mmb/scroll emulation. Default accel configuration in the OS (for my stuff anyway) is based on movement speed, so overshoot and accuracy is very bad because of how inconsistent it is, but flat accel is constant, so it fixed the accuracy issues. Felt the difference immediately but not sure if it makes such a difference with modern gaming mice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it did make a change for the better, specifically the Option "AccelProfile" "flat" via libinput driver, but because there was no acceleration any more, I had to increase DPI to make up for it. It still feels more accurate with it disabled though, just not as big a change from my perspective after fine tuning it. Definitely a must for anyone gaming in linux.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Glad to hear it made a difference for you.

I understand what you mean, the cursor speed tanks dramatically with no accel. I wound up with the standard libinput flat accel profile (and MMB/scroll emulation) plus needed medium accel or that cursor was going nowhere.

I was surprised by the amount of accel tweaking possible in Linux via xinput, but libinput is easy and effective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts