Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres some pix of the system Im about to put together. Wish me luck people.

ASUS P5WD2 E PREMIUM
PENTIUM D ES
ULTRA 600WATT PSU
MUSHIN ENHANCED PC2-4200
XFX 6600 PCI-E GPU
The rest is parts Ive already got installed.

Oh and heres a pic of the case its going into.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper

Looks like a good system, how come you went 8xx series not 9xx?

Hard to see the case in the picture, but it's looks green

I was toying with the E-Premium before having to re-allocate the $70 between it and the regular Premium.

Well no reason really other then I got a good deal on it plus its an engineering sample, I did get both series though 820 & 920, just running the ES fro now. And the case is black I just took a pic of the gutts(purdy colors) LOL

Quote:

Tell me how the board does, as I am going to buying one soon.

First off mine was good out of the box, no DOA here.

PRO's: Well I like the way it is setup, theres room to pull the ram while the typhoon is on and in the case(my other system was cramped) Has a realy nice bios(compared to what Im use too) It supports just about any 775 socket CPU. Has plenty of case fan ports, its just plain nice IMO.

Con's: This board is meant for sata users not pata and such. I originaly ran 2 ATA 133 drives, 2 rom and dvd drives. In order to get the system to detect my optical and my master drive I had to plug them into the same master controller(talk about a pain because my rom drive is at the top of a 7 bay case and the HDD is at the bottom. Once this is done I had no problems however in the event that Id have to do a fresh install, I wouldnt be able to hookup my backup drive just yet.
Also since this system just booted right up to my current harddrive with out a repair or fresh install, iI think its runnign a little slow on post and shut down, Im hoping that doing a fresh install soon will cure this problem. Thats about it so far, I havent realy messed with anything else just been run bench's and such.

Im not realy much on writing a review on this PC stuff just yet, maybe when I get some more time on it Ill post more info.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeoliver

Con's: This board is meant for sata users not pata and such. I originaly ran 2 ATA 133 drives, 2 rom and dvd drives. In order to get the system to detect my optical and my master drive I had to plug them into the same master controller(talk about a pain because my rom drive is at the top of a 7 bay case and the HDD is at the bottom.

yeah, the standard Premium is the same way, I need to write up my review on Newegg so maybe people can know that before they buy it.

It is quite annoying that it is sold as having 3 IDE buses with no mention that;

1) - Optical IDE drives can only be seen on the Blue bus

and

2) - You can't boot from IDE drives on the other buses, in addition to needing to make a floppy driver disk for OS install for them to work at all.

This doesn't make it a bad board......but that kind of thing is important to know before you buy something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts