Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unless someone can help me figure this out. I start my FaH client (smp) and let it go. Everything seems normal. The CPU usage ramps up to 100%. Fine whatever. I'll leave it for a while, (today I started it at about 11:00 and went to work) and when I check on it (about 6:00 today), it gives me some error regarding C++ environment or something, and all of my programs crash when I try to run them. A simple restart fixes everything, but I wish I knew what was causing this. I would like to continue folding, but I'd rather not have my computer crash every day. Is this just a bad overclock? I keep ramping up my voltage every time it does this to see if that helps, but so far nothing.

Please help! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
folding will bring out ANY instability in an oc....i have passed prime and had it fail when folding...so don't be discouraged..just downclock and try again or try to isolate which part of your oc is causing the instability...good luck
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ya folding definately has a way of breaking the system down. Playing a game at high clocks and folding are two completely different things. Even a normal stability test may and probably wont detect all the errors that folding for days can pick up on. I would suggest trying lower clocks but that may not necessarily be the issue if you are having a problem with the C++ environment and points to more software type problems. A better description of the error can help in diagnosing it. IE specific error messages

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Checking on ya. How's it going?

What they said about it passing prime but not folding is something I'm seeing right now. I've Prime tested my system for over 20 hours. Couldn't get through the day yesterday without BSOD's.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
I definitely consider [email protected] my real stability test, for the reason you just found out. I'll do prime and linpack and such to start with, so that I'm not failing workunits unnecessarily, but once I've got it relatively stable the real test is how well it folds, I've caught instabilities there that 48 hours of prime95 didn't turn up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts