Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered myself an Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard. I was sick of my crap (current) motherboard, for all intents and purposes. The Asus Crosshair IV Formula should keep me happy with USB 3.0 for my external HDD, SATA-III for my storage HDD and perhaps some better overclocking potential for my CPU (lower voltage and thus maybe a bit more clock speed).

The thing that put me off at first was the Socket AM3, considering Bulldozer. In either case I keep hearing some Bulldozer CPUs will at first come out on Socket AM3 rather than AM3+ so there's some hope there. If there is actually none, nevermind, I'll wait it out for a while and see what both AMD and Intel come up with and upgrade accordingly (if the itch gets to me). I'm sure that I'll be able to sell on the Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard in the near-ish future anyway!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed!
smile.gif

I'm also unsure as to my future "loyalty". It truly depends on benchmarks and prices (this can be an issue with Intel CPUs). Basically I'll see how Intel's Ivy Bridge pits against AMD's Bulldozer.

What bothers me about my motherboard is:

- Only has a 4-pin power connector for the CPU
- Has a lot of voltage variation
- Requires a lot of CPU voltage to get any decent overclock (I also used this motherboard with an X4 965 and the experience was very similar)
- Lack of USB 3.0 support
- Lack of SATA-III support

One thing I do like about it is that there's a standard PCI slot at the very bottom, allowing me to slot in my sound card alongside my graphics card, which has a massive custom cooling system attached to it that eats the rest of the space over my motherboard. With the Asus Crosshair IV Formula, I will have to do away with this cooling system and just stick to stock cooling (should be ok though with faster fan speeds - I don't know why I ever bought the custom cooling for the graphics card!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts