Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can finally say... F the -bigadv flag. thats the most worthless crap i have ever seen in my life lol. smp is the only way to go and makes my purchase of an I7 totally worthless. guess its time to sell this off and go back to amd since i gained nothing as far as gaming goes.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The i5, i7, and phenom II X4 all preform pretty much the same when it comes to gaming. To take advantage of the i7 you would need to use multimedia applications (editing, encoding, etc.).

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
You know the -bigadv flag doesn't work with the Windows SMP client right? You need to run it in Linux. Not sure if the 10 a3 WUs you do qualify you for -bigadv folding, or if you need to do another 10 though (I'd assume if you've done 10 a3s, that's enough).

Guide

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats the problem. i run the vmware and it works it just takes 2 days to do 1 WU and if i turn it off to game or anything like that i miss the stupid deadlines. i actually use my computer for things other than folding and since i cant get bigadv WUs done in time it was totally pointless to get an I7 which really pisses me off. if i had enough rep i would make a forsale thread and get rid of this crap right now but i guess i will need to swap it one part at a time in PMs

the ONLY reason i got an I7 was for the added power folding but it really doesnt help at all since i end up using the regular smp client for folding and it only gets like 3K more ppd which isnt worth the insane price i paid for it.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanmcleod View Post
thats the problem. i run the vmware and it works it just takes 2 days to do 1 WU and if i turn it off to game or anything like that i miss the stupid deadlines. i actually use my computer for things other than folding and since i cant get bigadv WUs done in time it was totally pointless to get an I7 which really pisses me off. if i had enough rep i would make a forsale thread and get rid of this crap right now but i guess i will need to swap it one part at a time in PMs

the ONLY reason i got an I7 was for the added power folding but it really doesnt help at all since i end up using the regular smp client for folding and it only gets like 3K more ppd which isnt worth the insane price i paid for it.

A day seems pretty long for an i7..

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckol1 View Post
A day seems pretty long for an i7..
bigadv can take about 2-4 days.
Classic (non SMP) can take about 1-2 days
SMP will never take over a day, unless if you did something horribly wrong (like -smp 1, or downclock your CPU to 800MHz... or did not properly setup SMP client).

i7 930 on stock (with turbo, though) nets a neat 10kppd on A3 w/ bonus.

ppd:
SMP A2 - 8k
SMP A3 - 10k
SMP BigAdv - 14-20k (upto 30k, with OC. 39k with crazy OC).
classic (I don't know, and never intend to try).

but A3 and bigadv are heavily dependant on time completion bonus.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
but A3 and bigadv are heavily dependant on time completion bonus.
exactly, i end up getting lower PPD doing the bigadv and pausing it to game/watch movies/work than i do just letting it run normal SMP

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,109 Posts
how about run normal SMP on 6 threads and use the other 2 for gaming/other use.

or even use 4-5 threads for folding. Doing that with an i7, you wont have to pause the folding, where if it was a normal quad core with no HT, you would have to pause.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
if you calculate this correct, an i7 needs about 2 days and 7 - 10 hrs (58hrs tops) to complete a bigadv WU, you have 4 days (96hrs) and some change to complete this WU, leaves you with at least 38 hrs of gaming in 4 days, if you game more then 8 hrs a day, then i would suggest you start going to a self help group or something. seriously.

and you can do anything besides gaming with the vmware running.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what i am currently doing. just sucks i spent all this money to upgrade thinking i would be making huge points but i cant. needs to be a little more info on the bigadv stuff. everything just screams DO THIS AND MAKE 25K PPD!!!! when its actually not like that at all.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
It is normally said that you need an OC'd i7 folding ~20hr/day for it to be worthwhile points-wise...

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
work = 8 hours a day so that leaves me 16 hours to fold at best outside of gaming time making it not worth the points over smp folding.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanmcleod
View Post

work = 8 hours a day so that leaves me 16 hours to fold at best outside of gaming time making it not worth the points over smp folding.

while at work you turn your pc off ?

sry, but if thats the case, you should have never started bigadv's

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about, but as far as it's performance in gaming, you probablly have bottlenecks. IF I got an i7 there would be a big difference lol.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i use my computer alot for work not to mention the kid and wife use it all the time. i cant just let it run bigadv all day since movies skip like hell and bad company runs like crap with it folding not to mention i am a big mmo player myself and that eats up alot of my personal computer time.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Well, I suppose you can get another GTS 250 and SLI them. then you'll see the difference of the i7; it performs better with Multi-GPUs compared to the other CPUs you mentioned.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,109 Posts
I do understand the skipping and stuff while folding. Ive gotten used to it though.
It is too bad you didn't realize 24/7 folding was how people got 25k ppd from bigadv. But you might as well make the best of it.

Really that is how it is with all folding to some degree... if you have a graphic card and only fold on it for 12 hrs of the day, you are only actually getting half the ppd that it would show you are getting.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well with the smp you can stop after a WU finishes and same with the gpu. but the bigadv i need to let go for like 40 hours straight which is what sucks so bad about it. its fine on weekends when i am out of the house doing things but when i need to use the computer for work or weeknights watching movies with the family it sucks crap. i had no idea the PPD would suffer so much from pausing the WUs while i do other things. the 250 is just what i had sitting around. i have 5770s in one computer and 4770s in another but this is "my" computer not one i have to share or use only at work. i guess i was just expecting something different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts